FTTF in Charleston

Cigar Dude

Yes and No..

Charleston doesn't have any room for waiting.. When we finally got cleared to start embarking (we were in line for close to 2 hours, while they were experiencing problems after problem with the previous cruisers), we finally started the vehicle at 12:15. We were one of the first groups to get luggage dropped off and pull into the warehouse. Once we found a bus and got on, we were swept away over to the port authority and had a line to go through the metal detectors. Once through them, there is a huge sign for FTTF/Pla/Diamond passengers and a lady holding a clipboard. Once she verified we were on the list, she opened up an empty lane and closed it behind us, then walked us straight up our own little lane and as soon as the next desk was open, we jumped right infront of the people waiting in line (which was huge and getting worse by the minute). We avoided having to do the whole big walk around the back and feeding into the main line. We showed our paperwork, everything verified, and set up our S&S accounts. We were then told to either stop for pictures or go straight on up the stairs to board. There was no waiting in a room for people to get called to board (by what I could tell, because there really was no room for people to sit and wait). It was a first-come, first-serve to get on the ship. We went straight on up the stairs, scanned our S&S cards and up the gang-way we went..

Thank you! It sounds like the gates to the parking lot don't open much before noon. I wonder if that's normal. We'll plan on getting there and sitting in the car for awhile. Sounds like the FTTF really helped you! That's good to know.

I know it wasn't a typical load issue.

Many were getting turned around at 10 and sent back. We were in one of the first groups of vehicles allowed to stay parked and not told to go on out and come back later...

That morning though, the ship had a problem coming into dock, then immigration was having an issue, then the computer system went down, then someone was having vehicle trouble and they have to clear the warehouse before allowing more passengers in. When we were in line, we talked with the port officials and they were about to pull their hair out and just wanted to get us loaded and gone. It seemed every 30 minutes, something was happening and someone was reporting an issue.. We sat in line for close to 2 hours, waiting to board..

Just remember, it is vacation, you will get on the ship as soon as they can allow you (because they don't want to hold you up, they want people on the ship and the ship gone) and have a great trip! We fell in love with cruising and wondered why we didn't start doing this earlier..

We stayed in a hotel--Best western sweet grass inn. They have a deal spend the night before and leave your car for a week and they shuttle you to and from the fantasy. They shuttled us and we left hotel at 11 and we were on the ship by 11:25ish and having lunch. FTTF definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've cruised out of Charleston twice. Unless cruising to a port of call with a tender (and thus priority tendering), I would say FTTF isn't worth it for Charleston. In our experience, most of the wait was getting through the parking maze to the port, and through the security lines. My understanding is FTTF doesn't help until you get through the security scanner, waiting for the check-in desk. In my opinion (even with a full cruise in December), that wait wasn't long enough to justify $50 or $60.

Other benefits like having your room ready as soon as you board -- well that's up to you. When we boarded in December without FTTF, our room was ready anyway. We drove into the port around 12 and were on the ship before 1. No FTTF.

We just purchased FTTF today for our 7 day cruise out of Charleston. We have been on the Fantasy before but this will be our first time with FTTF. I am excited about being able to go straight to our room and getting our luggage first. I have been looking every day for slots to open up! 10 more slots if anyone else was looking for the Oct. 11th cruise on Fantasy!