Why is Disney so much more per day?

Dmgmd50

Ok ok. Not everything is included. We don't purchase photo packages so that's not an added cost. We don't use room service often, when we do it's for a quick breakfast. Instead of trying to cruise every year it's more like every 2 years now. Also we do the brunch at Palo, not the dinner and we feel we get value from that brunch. It's much like everyone else has said and you alluded to. It's the extra touches that make it worth the extra effort to save but to everyone that's different. I easily admit there are times that I'm like let's just go on RCI so we can go sooner" but DW says " no, I'm sticking to my plan!be patient". It's not easy but when vacation time arrives we go "Aaahh that's why we made the sacrifices we did".

Also, there are ways to save. Buying gift cards at Target at discounted prices and using the Red Card, using ebates to "buy cash". DW just showed me how, by July when the cruise is paid she will have saved $500 on the $4k cruise!! That's big savings. We don't go concierge or anything, that is definitely out of our league.

Oh, all the household finances are just fine FYI :)

I don't believe the poster said EVERYTHING was included, but DCL has significantly less nickel and dime charges every time you turn around than the other lines we've been on. I find it interesting that coldflame increases the costs on DCL and understates them on other lines (based on my personal experience. Example--most alcoholic drinks on DCL were $7. Non-alcoholic were about $4.50 including the automatic 15% bar gratuity. Soda package on Celebrity and RCI was $7 per person, not $5 in 2009. Not sure what it is now. DCL has room service at no additional charge. Norwegian charges $7.95 for room service AND has a policy that no food can be removed from the dining rooms/areas. DCL has NO upcharge restaurants that permit children, while other lines have restaurants specifically designed to attract children for a fee--Johnny Rockets on RCI, for example, where the upcharge doesn't cover any ice cream or milkshake items...so you pay for the upcharge and the dessert.

OK, I've read that DCL is placing a "for pay" ice cream area on the Dream, but it isn't there yet. BIG mistake IMHO.

I agree that the "included" items on DCL don't add up to the increased prices. But if you can be flexible, there are cruises that can be reasonably cost effective. Unfortunately, the 2016 prices look like that may no longer be possible.

You say all included, eh? Remy and Palo are upcharge and are in fact are increasing their prices. Mixed drinks are $8-10 (alcoholic or not). Concessions at WDT and movie theater are paid ($5 bucks for a small popcorn, $10+ for souvenir bucket). Some items in the room service menu _are_ paid. Photography packages outrageously expensive.

So, OK, you get juices and soda included. Every single cruiseline I've looked at has an unlimited juice, coffee and soda package for about $5/person/day. On a 7-night cruise, tha's $40 per person (assume x 4 2AD/2CH, that's $160). None of the cruise lines charge for their water parks, pools or slides. None of them charge for hotdogs, hamberguers and pizza. None of them charge for soft-serve ice-cream. All for thousands of dollars less than DCL. If you so easily disregard nominal cost because of pixie dust, you are either incredibly wealthy and aloof or you don't handle your house hold finances and aren't aware of the financial burden extra $2-3K can have in your financial planning.

I think I read that Norwegian is now charging for Pizza. And room service.

I prefer DCL cruise over any other cruise line, BUT, I will not pay a LOT extra to cruise them for a port intensive cruise where the draw is the itinerary and not the ship/cruiselines. That is why I ultimately chose a different line for our Alaska trip this summer, and am considering a different line for Med next summer. But for Carribbean cruise, where I've BTDT, I would pay extra to stay on the ship and enjoy DCL.

I recanted and admitted not everything is included. You pointed out the biggest thing I noticed which was the lack of nickel and diming. We place a value on not having tables all over the place everyday selling "stuff". It just makes the cruise feel a bit more upscale and elegant. Oh and the beauty of the ship. That's a wow factor in and of itself.

It'll be interesting to see what the 2016 pricing does. Much like at the parks they continue to increase the prices. People complain but hey, they still go in droves. The place has never been more packed despite the increase. It's smart of them to do based on the demand for the cruises. I bet the ships still fill up. If booking ever dropped than they would decrease the price accordingly till they find the sweet spot. Id be doing the exact same thing.

Not luxury, per se. I agree. But their ships, specially the Fantasia class (including the Divina which will sail out Miami year round) and their upcoming Project Seaside are upscale, much more so than DLC, which I guess was my point. Their decor and interior design is outright mind blowing. Their berths are similar in size, yes, but being so affordable, you can upgrade to a YC suite for far _less_ than it costs a DCL 5A balcony.

While we're at it, let's talk about itinerary variety. With one ship (the Divina) will have 10 different itineraries (not talking about A, B, C, etc. versions but actual different destinations) next year in the Caribbean alone. Good luck getting anything else than EBC or WBC with DLC.

Again, I'm not saying drop everything, cancel your DCL reservations. All I'm saying is there are plenty of options outside it, and further, you can save quite a bit of money, without sacrificing quality, by venturing outside of the pixie dust.

I am not impressed by the photos of the MSC ships I have seen. While they might be a better price, when you get up to higher tier cabins they are not offering the amenities DCL does. I have friends that sailed one of the MSC ships recently who said food and service was terribly lacking. Money isn't everything.

You say all included, eh? Remy and Palo are upcharge and are in fact are increasing their prices. Mixed drinks are $8-10 (alcoholic or not). Concessions at WDT and movie theater are paid ($5 bucks for a small popcorn, $10+ for souvenir bucket). Some items in the room service menu _are_ paid. Photography packages outrageously expensive.

So, OK, you get juices and soda included. Every single cruiseline I've looked at has an unlimited juice, coffee and soda package for about $5/person/day. On a 7-night cruise, tha's $40 per person (assume x 4 2AD/2CH, that's $160). None of the cruise lines charge for their water parks, pools or slides. None of them charge for hotdogs, hamberguers and pizza. None of them charge for soft-serve ice-cream. All for thousands of dollars less than DCL. If you so easily disregard nominal cost because of pixie dust, you are either incredibly wealthy and aloof or you don't handle your house hold finances and aren't aware of the financial burden extra $2-3K can have in your financial planning.

My experience on another mass market ship was so bad that I felt like we had wasted $8K and a week's vacation. Same price we paid for out first DCL cruise which we loved and felt was well worth the money spent.

We are not incredibly wealthy, and we have a very good handle on our finances. Your asserts tins are based in what? Your own situation? So it would seem.

At any rate, we have made the conscious decision to alternate expensive vacations with less expensive ones so we are able to travel in the manner we wish. We would rather spend the money and be guaranteed find memories than spend the money and be disappointed and feel ripped off, which is how we felt after sailing the Mariner.

By the way, we feel the price for Remy and Palo is money well spent. Those who don't should just eat in the MDR. No one will fault them for their choice.

Edited by ducklite

I recanted and admitted not everything is included. You pointed out the biggest thing I noticed which was the lack of nickel and diming. We place a value on not having tables all over the place everyday selling "stuff". It just makes the cruise feel a bit more upscale and elegant. Oh and the beauty of the ship. That's a wow factor in and of itself.

I couldn't agree more in how the "flea market" cheapens other lines and makes the seem so incredibly tacky and ghetto.

If booking ever dropped than they would decrease the price accordingly till they find the sweet spot. Id be doing the exact same thing.

There have been times when the ship didn't fill and prices dropped dramatically, at least for a few select cruises. The *GT fares are another way they handle getting bookings when the ship doesn't fill. I'm curious as to what will happen in 2016 as the penalty dates approach.

My experience on another mass market ship was so bad that I felt like we had wasted $8K and a week's vacation. Same price we paid for out first DCL cruise which we loved and felt was well worth the money spent.

We are not incredibly wealthy, and we have a very good handle on our finances. Your asserts tins are based in what? Your own situation? So it would seem.

At any rate, we have made the conscious decision to alternate expensive vacations with less expensive ones so we are able to travel in the manner we wish. We would rather spend the money and be guaranteed find memories than spend the money and be disappointed and feel ripped off, which is how we felt after sailing the Mariner.

By the way, we feel the price for Remy and Palo is money well spent. Those who don't should just eat in the MDR. No one will fault them for their choice.

I want to unreservedly apologize about my last statement about your economics. That last bit was very disrespectful and mean-spirited comment. Sorry the frustration (not against you) got the better of me.

I've never sailed Celebrity, so I don't troll their boards and comment on the value.

Just checked and there is a 4 day Magic Bahamas Feb 28,2016 for $135 a day interior. Panama Canal and Transatlantic are about $100 per day.

Value, like beauty is in the eye of beholder, and not for us to judge what others want or like.

I'm a car guy, big time. I like german cars, Mercedes, Porsche, VW, Audi and so on. If you are not, you may think I'm crazy for driving a $60k Mercedes but I enjoy it, and can afford it. Yes I could drive an Accord and get better MPG, but no one ever opens their garage and sees an Accord and smile. A spring day, tail of the dragon, with the top down is why I love driving. I also change my own oil, rotate tires, do brake work and such because I enjoy playing with cars.

I's the same with cruises, I get excited walking to the boat but I get really wound up with Disney. It's just "better" and "worth it" to me. I actually sing the "Disney Boat Song" which drives my family nuts. I just point out to them that they don't have to come.

I think Disney is worth it, if you don't think so, don't cruise Disney. I won't miss you.

I only drive Mercedes and the last time I got one for $60k was during the Clinton administration.

Edited by e2011

We have taken several Celebrity cruises on these newer ships and the cost per day is considerably lower than the quote we received for the Disney Wonder. Why is Disney worth the extra money?

Not to me. But its simple supply and demand economics. When people stop booking Disney in favor of other cruise lines is when they will lower their prices. I don;t see that happening any time soon until the next recession.

I agree. I also have to say I was pretty gobsmacked when I read about NCL's policy on taking food from the MDR. What on earth is that about other than a money grab?

Seems it is going on with most lines, CCL reduced their 24 cabin menu and added a few items as a high price. I am told RCCL is doing similar things.

DCL is still high priced but t least they do not nickel and dime everything. ell do have 1 pet peeve..............paying for popcorn......

I don't believe the poster said EVERYTHING was included' date=' but DCL has significantly less nickel and dime charges every time you turn around than the other lines we've been on. I find it interesting that coldflame increases the costs on DCL and understates them on other lines (based on my personal experience. Example--most alcoholic drinks on DCL were $7. Non-alcoholic were about $4.50 including the automatic 15% bar gratuity. Soda package on Celebrity and RCI was $7 per person, not $5 in 2009. Not sure what it is now. DCL has room service at no additional charge. Norwegian charges $7.95 for room service AND has a policy that no food can be removed from the dining rooms/areas. DCL has NO upcharge restaurants that permit children, while other lines have restaurants specifically designed to attract children for a fee--Johnny Rockets on RCI, for example, where the upcharge doesn't cover any ice cream or milkshake items...so you pay for the upcharge and the dessert.

OK, I've read that DCL is placing a "for pay" ice cream area on the Dream, but it isn't there yet. BIG mistake IMHO.

I agree that the "included" items on DCL don't add up to the increased prices. But if you can be flexible, there are cruises that can be reasonably cost effective. Unfortunately, the 2016 prices look like that may no longer be possible.

You basically hit everything right on and I agree a pay for Ice cream bar will not be a good move on DCL's part.

I also thing the whole industry is slowly but surely moving toward the idea of paying for food on the cruises. All the up charge places are confirming that.

Time will tell.

AKK

In two DCL cruises it never dawned on us to even bring a drink or snack into the theater. Can people not go 90 minutes without something to eat or drink?

Shows are actually only 50-55 minutes long -- unless you mean the movies :) And to be frank, that's usually when we have our pre-dinner snack since we are usually hauling butt on port excursions sans food or drinks.

I don't buy movie theatre snacks on those few occasions when I pay for a movie ticket. However, my point here was that there are options beyond buying the snacks sold outside the BV theatre when movies are soon to start for those who might want something to eat.

Frankly, on DCL it depends on the time of the movie in relation to lunch/dinner. We routinely do a late afternoon "healthy snack" since we have late dinner. Otherwise, the time between lunch and dinner is too long and we end up snacking on junk.

Since a kid, Popcorn at the movies/shows has always been my little treat.................and since cruising, pet peeve pay for it.

For the record the shows themselves last 45 to 65 minutes, but the overall presentation with opening and closing, CD spiels and sometimes other acts make it go up to 90 minutes.

AKK

I don't buy movie theatre snacks on those few occasions when I pay for a movie ticket. However' date=' my point here was that there are options beyond buying the snacks sold outside the BV theatre when movies are soon to start for those who might want something to eat.

Frankly, on DCL it depends on the time of the movie in relation to lunch/dinner. We routinely do a late afternoon "healthy snack" since we have late dinner. Otherwise, the time between lunch and dinner is too long and we end up snacking on junk.[/quote']

Yes, absolutely. Have your SO (or yourself) a do a quick Flo run. Grab salad/fruit bowl and maybe chicken nuggets for the kiddos. Then ask for water cups and you're set $0 extra cost healthy snack :)

I've wondered why they bother selling popcorn. They can't make that much money from it. Just make it free.

Everyone says you are not nickel-and -dimed on DCL, but paying for popcorn would be the ultimate!