Why is Disney so much more per day?

Dmgmd50

The tub is a combination tub/shower but it is much bigger than the shower in any Celebrity room I have seen that is not a suite. I find that extra space very welcome even though I too use it for showers, not baths. Room sizes vary quite a bit across the Celebrity fleet (more variation than Disney) and they are mostly larger than rooms on RCCL but even in S-Class, ordinary veranda rooms on the Reflection are 194 sq feet, not 198, according to the Cruise Deck Plans web site. In M-Class, veranda rooms on the Infinity are 170 sq ft, concierge rooms are 191 sq ft and Sky Suites 251 sq ft. That means that a Sky Suite on the Celebrity Infinity is only 1 sq foot larger than a Family Oceanview room on the Disney Wonder. Celebrity Sky Suites usually costs more than Disney Family Oceanview rooms. (Of course, the Sky Suites come with suite "perks".)

We find the shower stalls large enough for us, but when we see some of the full-sized passengers, we do wonder how they fit in them, especially on RCCL!

Do you take Family Oceanview on DCL for just two passengers? Does Disney sell them that way?

Do you take Family Oceanview on DCL for just two passengers? Does Disney sell them that way?

Disney will sell any cabin for "just 2" if you request a specific cabin and make a note on your reservation asking that you not be moved. On the Magic and Wonder, the only slightly larger rooms designed to sleep 5 are the cat 4s, and those sell at a serious premium price over a cat 5. On the Dream and Fantasy, these larger rooms are available in oceanview and inside configurations as well as the verandah cabins.

No matter what size the cabin was we had a fabulous time and feel DCL was definitely worth the extra cost. We will definitely do it again with our granddaughter!

We find the shower stalls large enough for us, but when we see some of the full-sized passengers, we do wonder how they fit in them, especially on RCCL!

Yes and yes. My wife and I are booked in a Family Veranda room (Cat. V) on the May 16 Fantasy and in a Family Oceanview room (cat. 8C) on the September 7 Dream. These rooms are not like the Family rooms on RCCL. Instead, the Family Veranda Rooms are similar to Junior Suites on RCCL or to Sky Suites on Celebrity. The Family Oceanview rooms (on the Dream and Fantasy only) are the same as the Family Veranda rooms except without the veranda. There is nothing quite like the Disney Family Oceanview on the other cruise lines that I am familiar with.

We are also Disney Vacation Club (DVC) members and the Dream cruise was paid for with DVC points. Either way (cash or points), the Disney Family room prices seem much more reasonable when you compare them with the prices of Celebrity Sky Suites. To me that is a fair comparison since the room size is comparable and I have enjoyed cruising on Disney at least as much as I have enjoyed cruising in a Celebrity Sky suite.

Edited by actuarian

I've never sailed Celebrity, so I don't troll their boards and comment on the value.

I think Disney is worth it, if you don't think so, don't cruise Disney. I won't miss you.

A bit testy are we?

DCL is more than kids' clubs and characters. Like I've said, it's not a floating theme park. The service and relative elegance of the ships appeal to many people as well as the lack of upcharging/nickel & diming.

I don't go to RCCL boards and say RCCL isn't worth it because I've never been on one of their cruises.

I would think it might be difficult to make a comment about "upcharging/nickel and diming" if you have not experienced it. I don't find RCCL, NCL or CCL doing any of those things. You pay for alcohol drinks, as you do on DCL, I don't have any idea if DCL has "upcharge" dining facilities or just the standard dining room. But the "upcharking/nickel and diming" you have not experienced doesn't happen if you don't use the facilities. You can go on an RCCL or any other cruise for the price quoted plus your tips, eat, drink (water, juice at breakfast, tea anytime, etc) all included in the price. So nickel and diming is only if you want to be nickel and dimed, just as paying 50 - 100 percent more per day to go on DCL. I am not into Disney and haven't been on one of their cruises. The grandkids and to a lesser extent the kids are Disney fans and the couple of times we have gone to Disney world we all enjoyed it and we have talked of taking the kids and grandkids but because of lack of vacation on the kids part going to Florida and cruising for a week is not a good option for us. We may consider a shorter cruise sometime though. Galveston is less than an hour away. If we were close to Port Canaveral we probably would go on one.

I would think it might be difficult to make a comment about "upcharging/nickel and diming" if you have not experienced it. I don't find RCCL, NCL or CCL doing any of those things. You pay for alcohol drinks, as you do on DCL, I don't have any idea if DCL has "upcharge" dining facilities or just the standard dining room. But the "upcharking/nickel and diming" you have not experienced doesn't happen if you don't use the facilities. You can go on an RCCL or any other cruise for the price quoted plus your tips, eat, drink (water, juice at breakfast, tea anytime, etc) all included in the price. So nickel and diming is only if you want to be nickel and dimed, just as paying 50 - 100 percent more per day to go on DCL. I am not into Disney and haven't been on one of their cruises. The grandkids and to a lesser extent the kids are Disney fans and the couple of times we have gone to Disney world we all enjoyed it and we have talked of taking the kids and grandkids but because of lack of vacation on the kids part going to Florida and cruising for a week is not a good option for us. We may consider a shorter cruise sometime though. Galveston is less than an hour away. If we were close to Port Canaveral we probably would go on one.

Personally, I don't think many hard-core DCL fans look at other options attentively. While I agree with you, even if it was the case of nickel-and-dime, you'd still get much better bang for the buck elsewhere, sometimes by thousands of dollars. RCCL is by far not the only option. NCL, HAL, MSC, etc that have a plethora of ships, routes, itineraries and all well below DCL in terms of price.

One other point that should be noted when you compare Disney to other cruise lines is that every room on Disney has a bath tub. To get a tub on most other cruise lines, you need to book a JS/mini-suite or a suite. The tub is a luxury even if you don't take baths since it is much larger than the tiny shower in a typical room on other cruise lines. Finally, almost all Disney rooms include a "bath and a half", an amenity available only in suites on other lines.

For the cost of DCL cruise I can buy a bathroom. With a full sized tub :)

For the cost of DCL cruise I can buy a bathroom. With a full sized tub :)

Believe me, I just built a new Bathroom in our home, you would get not much more then a outhouse for the difference in price.

As to nickel and diming yes RCCL, NCL does nickel and dime you much more then anything DCL does. (I cannot speak to CCL as I still will not take the risk of sailing their ships.) NCL in the last month has brought it to new high . Just today a new rule change, that you cannot take food out of any of the dining room or restaurants, even the buffets. If you do they charge you $7.95.

If you do a real check of fares, you will find RCCL and CCL are raising their prices on the newer ships and *sometimes* you will find they are pretty close to DCL.

I will agree your right, DCL charges the higher rates because they can. They can because their cruises are unique and plain excellent in classic, top vessels in design and safety. Excellent service and attention. Great and good food, let be honest here, all food is subjective. Entertainment, Broadway quality and Disney style, that cannot be beat.

RCCL, NCL Hal provide standard good cruises, yes indeed they do. However in addition to all of the above, DCL vessels and cruises have the Disney Magic and Pixie Dust., which all together, makes them well worth the additional cost.

So if your not into Disney. I fully agree, take another line(not CCL).

AKK

If you do a real check of fares' date=' you will find RCCL and CCL are raising their prices on the newer ships and *sometimes* you will find they are pretty close to DCL.

AKK[/quote']

Just commenting on this aspect:

Jan 17, 2016. Fantasy on a 5A 2AD/2CH: $6,014.72

Jan 16, 2016. NCL Escape (brand new ship) 4A equivalent 2AD/2CH: $2579

Jan 11, 2016. 10-night EC MSC Divina conceirge suite equivalent 2 AD/ CH$4109

Jan 17, 2016. RRCL FotS D1 Balcony 2 AD/2 CH $4,240.16

$3500 difference between DCL and NCL

$1700 difference between DCL and RCCL and MSC

That is *not* pretty close.

Just commenting on this aspect:

Jan 17, 2016. Fantasy on a 5A 2AD/2CH: $6,014.72

Jan 16, 2016. NCL Escape (brand new ship) 4A equivalent 2AD/2CH: $2579

Jan 11, 2016. 10-night EC MSC Divina conceirge suite equivalent 2 AD/ CH$4109

Jan 17, 2016. RRCL FotS D1 Balcony 2 AD/2 CH $4,240.16

$3500 difference between DCL and NCL

$1700 difference between DCL and RCCL and MSC

That is *not* pretty close.

No problem and my comment was *SOMETIMES* and there are so many cat. of cabins etc.......you can go all over the place with fares. Try matching the monster ships of RCCL, the point of a thread on another forum was that other lines are going up and not to assume DCL is always more expensive. The only Line not raising fares is NCL, their bookings are down as well.

I also stated that DCL was more expensive and why they can charge more.

So franking we are agreeing.

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

No problem and my comment was *SOMETIMES* and there are so many cat. of cabins etc.......you can go all over the place with fares. Try matching the monster ships of RCCL' date=' the point of a thread on another forum was that other lines are going up and not to assume DCL is always more expensive. The only Line not raising fares is NCL, their bookings are down as well.

I also stated that DCL was more expensive and why they can charge more.

So franking we are agreeing.[/quote']

No, my point is comparing apples-to-apples, or as close to it (which is what I did in the comparison above). It makes no sense to compare this category vs that other category or permutations thereof, etc.

Same dates. Same stateroom category (and in some cases like MSC a concierge suite). Same itinerary. Disney was thousands over all other cruise lines. As for new big ships, the Escape is so brand new it hasn't even been delivered and won't be ready until late October.

If the difference was merely couple hundred dollars, you'd have a case.

Edited by coldflame

No, my point is comparing apples-to-apples, or as close to it (which is what I did in the comparison above). It makes no sense to compare this category vs that other category or permutations thereof, etc.

Same dates. Same stateroom category (and in some cases like MSC a concierge suite). Same itinerary. Disney was thousands over all other cruise lines. As for new big ships, the Escape is so brand new it hasn't even been delivered and won't be ready until late October.

If the difference was merely couple hundred dollars, you'd have a case.

Your entitled to your opinion and I disagree you took 3 samples and as I stated you can play that game with dates and cat and vessels...........your over looking all the other reasons people like DCL and are willing to pay the price.

If Disney is not your cup of tea, don't sail DCL.

AKK

Comparing only cabin costs is worthless. The only accurate comparison is average daily cost, taking into consideration the value of included items vs extra charges (don't forget airfare or air credit, which some premium lines include). Throw added perks like OBC, free tips, etc into the mix as well.

Once you have a bottom line, look at what the higher net price line provides qualitatively (e.g., the Disney experience on DCL, the great food and small ships of Oceania, etc.). If it's worth the remaining price difference to you, give your TA the "go ahead."

Your entitled to your opinion and I disagree you took 3 samples and as I stated you can play that game with dates and cat and vessels...........your over looking all the other reasons people like DCL and are willing to pay the price.

If Disney is not your cup of tea' date=' don't sail DCL.

AKK[/quote']

You are willfully choosing to ignore numbers and facts, which is fine. If you're blinded by DCL pixie dust, that's fine too. Mine it's not an opinion. It's a logical and financial conclusion supported by evidence. You are choosing to make a case on non quantifiable, impalpable and highly subjective criteria.

I don't hate DLC, btw. If you look at my signature you'd see my last 7 cruises have been with them. I simply demonstrably dispelled that notion that DCL is "just a bit more". It isn't. It's A LOT more. If you can justify yourself the extra expense, again, all the power to you. But don't tell yourself and others it's just a bit extra.

Edited by coldflame

You see this question lots (and I asked it myself when researching Fantasy vs Allure). To us, it was not worth the extra cost as Allure looks just as good (although different). But for families that love Disney characters, themes and want a ship dedicated to kids, then it may be worth it. We have done Disney Magic and it was awesome...shows, characters, Waterslides, castaway cay, service. Downside was super busy small pools...but still feel it's worth to try it once with young kids. (Personally, I don't get those who go without kids...but I know a lot do and love it).

Edited by LuCruise

Why compare? They are different things. What's the point of comparing Disney to other cruiselines when they are different species to begin with. One is in the *Magic* business. The other ones are in the cruising business.

You are willfully choosing to ignore numbers and facts, which is fine. If you're blinded by DCL pixie dust, that's fine too. Mine it's not an opinion. It's a logical and financial conclusion supported by evidence. You are choosing to make a case on non quantifiable, impalpable and highly subjective criteria.

I don't hate DLC, btw. If you look at my signature you'd see my last 7 cruises have been with them. I simply demonstrably dispelled that notion that DCL is "just a bit more". It isn't. It's A LOT more. If you can justify yourself the extra expense, again, all the power to you. But don't tell yourself and others it's just a bit extra.

As I said your entitled to your opinion and I disagree your basing your whole conclusion on a very limited sampling and overlooking all the reasons DCL is worth the money. What you called colored Disney glass s all those other reasons. BTW those subjective, and non quantifiable things are what makes living good..

AKK

We will have to agree to disagree.

Comparing only cabin costs is worthless. The only accurate comparison is average daily cost, taking into consideration the value of included items vs extra charges (don't forget airfare or air credit, which some premium lines include). Throw added perks like OBC, free tips, etc into the mix as well.

Once you have a bottom line, look at what the higher net price line provides qualitatively (e.g., the Disney experience on DCL, the great food and small ships of Oceania, etc.). If it's worth the remaining price difference to you, give your TA the "go ahead."

It's not worthless. It provides a rational basis. If you want to get nit-picky about it, as for alcoholic and coffee drinks DCL does charge for those too. For soda and juices, you can get unlimited soft drinks for $6/day on most cruise lines. OBC is a toss up. All cruise lines have some sort of $50-200 OBC is some form of shape.

The whole thing boils down to DCL being so expensive over the competition that even if you were to add most costs to other cruise fares, you'd still be hundreds if not thousands ahead of DCL.

********** does some really good per person costs,

AKK

00P.sorry I forgot they were competing with CC..........my bad

Why compare? They are different things. What's the point of comparing Disney to other cruiselines when they are different species to begin with. One is in the *Magic* business. The other ones are in the cruising business.

This, is nonsense. You basically are saying you can't compare DCL to any other cruise line. This is actually hilarious.