Why is Disney so much more per day?

Dmgmd50

This, is nonsense. You basically are saying you can't compare DCL to any other cruise line. This is actually hilarious.

I totally agree!

One is in the *Magic* business. The other ones are in the cruising business.

This is a ridiculous statement.

ex techie

One can compare till they are blue in the face $/square foot cabin etc. etc.

Bottom line is does cruise A and Disney sell out, have to offer last minute sails to fill the cabins and at what sales price.

If Disney can charge the premium for whatever incremental their service cost them that is good business sense. They've spent billions and decades marketing an image, the image sells at a premium. I have no visibility but suspect their incremental return is higher.

For some it is worth it, great, I'm one that all things being equal would give Disney another go if stars align, but they don't have enough ships to make that available for me.

Why compare? They are different things. What's the point of comparing Disney to other cruiselines when they are different species to begin with. One is in the *Magic* business. The other ones are in the cruising business.

Because you have to when choosing which CRUISE LINE to cruise with!

Whats the point of saying you cannot compare Disney Cruise Line with anyone else when they essentially offer the same thing?

A ship to sail on, that will (if they can) sail to different places and countries.

DCL are not a different species, they are exactly the same! They want your money, as much as they think you will tolerate giving over, and provide exactly the same services and how much better or worse than other lines is debatable, and the worth as well?

ex techie

I have sailed in the Royal Suite on RCI Mariner as well as a 1BR in the Dream and the Magic. While the Royal Suite is larger, most of the extra space is useless. It's just open space. They both have the same number of beds and bathrooms. The suites we've been in in DCL were in much better condition There was a lot more included in the base price in DCL. We felt like we had to pay for something every time we turned around on RCI. Johnny Rockets had a charge, the concierge lounge was a joke and full of idiots trying to one up each other as to who had higher status and throwing elbows for hideously poor quality "free booze." On the DCL ships it seemed like every time we returned to our cabin there was something else left as a little treat. On RCI it was nada. We didn't even get towels animals half the time.

As far as cost, we paid more for the RCI cabin with the same amount of usable space (I don't consider an entryway the size of an inside cabin to be "usable."). I still have the folios for all three cruises, and we spent a lot more in R I with nickel and dime stuff than we did in DCL.

I'll also add the service was pretty poor overall on RCI. It was good to great on DCL--as good as the luxury lines we have sailed on. Speaking of which, even the toiletries on DCL were higher quality, as were the sheets and towels (Frette as opposed to cheap hotel quality)

We won't even begin to speak of the food on RCI which was just flat out not good.

Why compare? They are different things. What's the point of comparing Disney to other cruiselines when they are different species to begin with. One is in the *Magic* business. The other ones are in the cruising business.

Read below Friend100,

This is why you can compare and should compare.

Not just spout pixie dust and *magic* that had no meaning, value or qualification.

I have sailed in the Royal Suite on RCI Mariner as well as a 1BR in the Dream and the Magic. While the Royal Suite is larger, most of the extra space is useless. It's just open space. They both have the same number of beds and bathrooms. The suites we've been in in DCL were in much better condition There was a lot more included in the base price in DCL. We felt like we had to pay for something every time we turned around on RCI. Johnny Rockets had a charge, the concierge lounge was a joke and full of idiots trying to one up each other as to who had higher status and throwing elbows for hideously poor quality "free booze." On the DCL ships it seemed like every time we returned to our cabin there was something else left as a little treat. On RCI it was nada. We didn't even get towels animals half the time.

As far as cost, we paid more for the RCI cabin with the same amount of usable space (I don't consider an entryway the size of an inside cabin to be "usable."). I still have the folios for all three cruises, and we spent a lot more in R I with nickel and dime stuff than we did in DCL.

I'll also add the service was pretty poor overall on RCI. It was good to great on DCL--as good as the luxury lines we have sailed on. Speaking of which, even the toiletries on DCL were higher quality, as were the sheets and towels (Frette as opposed to cheap hotel quality)

We won't even begin to speak of the food on RCI which was just flat out not good.

A well thought out and fairly intricate but concise reasoning.

Not just because of the *magic*

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I suppose it depends on what you rank first in priorities. If it is your bank account, DCL is not worth it. There are plenty of ships out there that will take you from point A to point B, feed and water you, and let you sit by the pool while at sea. From a cost perspective, probably every other line out there will beat DCL. And I'm not faulting or arguing with folks where the total cost is their bottom line.

If those intangibles are important to you, then all bets are off. Food, service, condition and cleanliness, type of fellow passenger. All those things are valued differently and are impossible to assign with a universally agreed "worth." Whether you label those intangibles as pixie dust or customer service is irrelevant.

I, for one, adore staying at the Four Seasons. It has beds and running water like any other hotel, so technically it is definitely not worth the extra expense. That said, they have provided extra touches including finding peanut butter at midnight for me for my daughter's peanut allergy densensitization management (because I forgot to pack it) that I'm pretty sure the front desk of Motel 6 would not have done.

That said, I don't consider the Four Seasons to be a good value every time I travel. There are times when I really do just need a bed and running water.

I'm sure there will never be universal agreement on which cruise line is the better value, since "value" is such a subjective term, and can fluctuate with the same person as times and situations change.

I suppose it depends on what you rank first in priorities. If it is your bank account, DCL is not worth it. There are plenty of ships out there that will take you from point A to point B, feed and water you, and let you sit by the pool while at sea. From a cost perspective, probably every other line out there will beat DCL. And I'm not faulting or arguing with folks where the total cost is their bottom line.

If those intangibles are important to you, then all bets are off. Food, service, condition and cleanliness, type of fellow passenger. All those things are valued differently and are impossible to assign with a universally agreed "worth." Whether you label those intangibles as pixie dust or customer service is irrelevant.

I, for one, adore staying at the Four Seasons. It has beds and running water like any other hotel, so technically it is definitely not worth the extra expense. That said, they have provided extra touches including finding peanut butter at midnight for me for my daughter's peanut allergy densensitization management (because I forgot to pack it) that I'm pretty sure the front desk of Motel 6 would not have done.

That said, I don't consider the Four Seasons to be a good value every time I travel. There are times when I really do just need a bed and running water.

I'm sure there will never be universal agreement on which cruise line is the better value, since "value" is such a subjective term, and can fluctuate with the same person as times and situations change.

Exactly!

Well put and I agree........at the bottom, it comes down to the Disney magic, the subjective things. If you a Disney person its well worth it..........If you not and a standard cruise is more to your likely your not so keen on paying the extra money.

AKK

Well put and I agree........at the bottom' date=' it comes down to the Disney magic, the subjective things. If you a Disney person its well worth it..........If you not and a standard cruise is more to your likely your not so keen on paying the extra money.

AKK[/quote']

I agree with what you and ljandgb have said, but we are finding it harder and harder to figure out where that line is drawn. We are Disney fans through and through but, because we prefer to travel concierge, DCL is on the brink of pricing us out for some trips. We really wanted to do the 12-night Med next year on the Magic, but when we saw it would cost us $34,000 for a 1-bedroom, we knew we were out of the running. In the end, we opted to book the 7-night Med and plan to see the eastern Mediterranean on another cruise line, but I worry that even that sort of compromise isn't going to be possible in the coming years as DCL's fares continue to climb.

Exactly!

I agree with what you and ljandgb have said, but we are finding it harder and harder to figure out where that line is drawn. We are Disney fans through and through but, because we prefer to travel concierge, DCL is on the brink of pricing us out for some trips. We really wanted to do the 12-night Med next year on the Magic, but when we saw it would cost us $34,000 for a 1-bedroom, we knew we were out of the running. In the end, we opted to book the 7-night Med and plan to see the eastern Mediterranean on another cruise line, but I worry that even that sort of compromise isn't going to be possible in the coming years as DCL's fares continue to climb.

Then it reaches a point where you say no! Nothing wrong with that. We enjoy our DCL vessel balcony cabins but could never cruise Concierge, its out of our price range,

Right now you may want to do some pricing, as RCCL is raising prices, especially on the monster size vessels, They were talking on another forum that some cruises are near the Fantasy fares. Even CCL is trying to raise prices. NCL is nickel and diming everywhere the last month. The latest is that your not allowed to bring food out of the MDR's and specially restaurants. If you do its a $7.95 charge.

The bottom line was not to assume DCL is always more.

AKK

We definitely aren't assuming that Disney is always more, and in some cases the extra cost is well worth it even if it is more. My point is that, as prices rise, it can become harder to assess how much those intangibles are worth.

What it has done is force us to consider other travel options, which ultimately will probably prove to be a good thing.

We definitely aren't assuming that Disney is always more, and in some cases the extra cost is well worth it even if it is more. My point is that, as prices rise, it can become harder to assess how much those intangibles are worth.

What it has done is force us to consider other travel options, which ultimately will probably prove to be a good thing.

Do not listen to Tonka's he or she doesn't have an idea what they are talking about. DCL costs more -- period. No matter how you slice it or dice it. I've done a price comparison of several itineraries and vessels and comparable berths. DCL is always the most expensive, sometimes by thousands, end of story.

Now, so long as you are aware of the price difference and are aware that there are other very good cruise lines out there to choose from and yet choose DCL as a personal preference, that's fine, it's your money and none of my biz. What I cannot stand is people in this board outright refusing to see there is a substantial price difference deluding themselves into believing DCL is the only cruise line worth the money.

I agree as well.....we are trying to put together a 2 week trip to the left coast, 1week of it in Hawaii. That may slow down the cruising for 2 years.

I somehow dragged you into Cold flames rudeness sphere and I apologize for his rudeness to you.....He likes to attack anyone who doesn't agree with his opinion. Myself and others have learned to ignore him.

AKK

Do not listen to Tonka's he or she doesn't have an idea what they are talking about. DCL costs more -- period. No matter how you slice it or dice it. I've done a price comparison of several itineraries and vessels and comparable berths. DCL is always the most expensive, sometimes by thousands, end of story.

Now, so long as you are aware of the price difference and are aware that there are other very good cruise lines out there to choose from and yet choose DCL as a personal preference, that's fine, it's your money and none of my biz. What I cannot stand is people in this board outright refusing to see there is a substantial price difference deluding themselves into believing DCL is the only cruise line worth the money.

Like I said, the one thing Disney's escalating prices are forcing us to do is to look at and try other options. In the end, we will either decide that Disney is worth the extra money or we will learn that we enjoy other cruise lines as well for less money. Either way, it's a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect that in the long run, we may wind up doing exactly what we will be doing for the next year or so...sailing a mix of DCL and other carriers to maximize both our enjoyment and dollar value.

Like I said, the one thing Disney's escalating prices are forcing us to do is to look at and try other options. In the end, we will either decide that Disney is worth the extra money or we will learn that we enjoy other cruise lines as well for less money. Either way, it's a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect that in the long run, we may wind up doing exactly what we will be doing for the next year or so...sailing a mix of DCL and other carriers to maximize both our enjoyment and dollar value.

Exactly. Vacations are supposed to be fun and each family finds different things to have different values. Our kids are in stages when they crave a level of physical activity that DCL just cannot match (also, both of our kids got really bored in the OC/OL last two times on board). So when you add that plus the real cost i.e. real money from my bank going to DCL's coffers, it simply became unjustifiable (specially for the 2016-17 itineraries).

There is a substantial difference in terms of food, service, and amenities as well. If you are happy with a Comfort Inn you'll be happy on pretty much any mainstream cruise. If you prefer a Hilton, sail with Disney. If you want the Four Seasons, DCL will be disappointing, you need to look to a true luxury line. Not everyone is particularly price sensitive, and particularly on the Euro sailings, that $33K and expensive airfare suddenly drops to $21K and cheap airfare for the Brits due to the favorable exchange rate and proximity.

Then it reaches a point where you say no! Nothing wrong with that. We enjoy our DCL vessel balcony cabins but could never cruise Concierge' date=' its out of our price range,

Right now you may want to do some pricing, as RCCL is raising prices, especially on the monster size vessels, They were talking on another forum that some cruises are near the Fantasy fares. Even CCL is trying to raise prices. NCL is nickel and diming everywhere the last month. The latest is that your not allowed to bring food out of the MDR's and specially restaurants. If you do its a $7.95 charge.

The bottom line was not to assume DCL is always more.

AKK[/quote']

I agree. I also have to say I was pretty gobsmacked when I read about NCL's policy on taking food from the MDR. What on earth is that about other than a money grab?

I've sailed Royal Caribbean and while I think they are fine, and since they are a huge cruise lines with many ships, they are certainly often cheaper. I have no personal interest in CCL, but would like to experience Crystal cruises sometime in the future. And I would also really love to do a European river cruise someday.

I'm big on getting bang for my buck and both DH and I (and he did NOT expect to be a DCL fan since he had only sailed RCCL before) feel that DCL does an exemplary job on the most beautiful ships at sea and feel their overall service is very good "bang for our buck". The wonderful thing is that there are choices out there for everyone that wants to cruise. Some folks like to gamble and party, some folks don't. Some folks want lectures and high-brow offerings. Some don't. I won't go around bashing lines I have no interest in. Why would I? What would that accomplish?

I love the rotational dining on DCL, where your servers really get to know you (& you them!) and your personal tastes. I love the fabulous provisions for adult passengers. I love the private island where I don't have to tender. I love no service charge for 24 hr room service dining. I love the way DCL streamlined the processes at the port to make things less chaotic. I love the elegant ships emulating old ocean liners in their design and form. I love that there is no casino onboard. I love that there really is something on board for everyone in the family. And I love the children's' programming and children's' areas. I have toured them with my own little ones and they are a child's' dream. In no way am I saying other lines don't do a good job on some or many of these things, but for me and my family, it's DCL.

As a very longtime DVC member, I have used my DVC points to go on numerous DCL cruises, and that was only a $95 booking fee no matter how many staterooms I've booked. To me, forums are a great place to share opinions as varied as they are. But no one should be called "testy" just because their views differ. If you love any lines but Disney, I say good for you! Enjoy and bon voyage!

There is a substantial difference in terms of food, service, and amenities as well. If you are happy with a Comfort Inn you'll be happy on pretty much any mainstream cruise. If you prefer a Hilton, sail with Disney. If you want the Four Seasons, DCL will be disappointing, you need to look to a true luxury line. Not everyone is particularly price sensitive, and particularly on the Euro sailings, that $33K and expensive airfare suddenly drops to $21K and cheap airfare for the Brits due to the favorable exchange rate and proximity.

Now, if we are talking about luxury and impeccable service and amazing ships, there are much better lines than DCL. Princess, Cunard, MSC, etc. Princes and Cunard can be outright taken out of competition since their kids/youth program is basically non-existent. MSC, however, has as much European luxury and elegance as you can muster and have heard very good things about their youth/kids program. And first-hand accounts ranking its service "head and shoulders" about DCL (they too are Gold CC) and roughly half the price of DCL and in a concierge suite since kids 11 and under sail free.

What I'm trying to get at is that there are lines and options out there, objectively speaking. When people outright refuse to see these because of "magic" and "pixie dust" is like talking to cult members, which, I realize is just as pointless trying to convince.

MSC is not and never has been considered a luxury line. The photos I have seen definitely do not represent what would be considered luxury, not do they boast the level of amenities to be considered luxury. Also when we took a quick look at them, their cabins are quite small compare to DCL and most if the mass market lines.

If you want luxury with kids along, Crystal will probably be the best choice. Mother children's program during school breaks is supposed to be excellent.

Edited by ducklite

MSC is not and never has been considered a luxury line. The photos I have seen definitely do not represent what would be considered luxury, not do they boast the level of amenities to be considered luxury. Also when we took a quick look at them, their cabins are quite small compare to DCL and most if the mass market lines.

If you want luxury with kids along, Crystal will probably be the best choice. Mother children's program during school breaks is supposed to be excellent.

Not luxury, per se. I agree. But their ships, specially the Fantasia class (including the Divina which will sail out Miami year round) and their upcoming Project Seaside are upscale, much more so than DLC, which I guess was my point. Their decor and interior design is outright mind blowing. Their berths are similar in size, yes, but being so affordable, you can upgrade to a YC suite for far _less_ than it costs a DCL 5A balcony.

While we're at it, let's talk about itinerary variety. With one ship (the Divina) will have 10 different itineraries (not talking about A, B, C, etc. versions but actual different destinations) next year in the Caribbean alone. Good luck getting anything else than EBC or WBC with DLC.

Again, I'm not saying drop everything, cancel your DCL reservations. All I'm saying is there are plenty of options outside it, and further, you can save quite a bit of money, without sacrificing quality, by venturing outside of the pixie dust.

I was a skeptic about the value. Note the word "was". We love Disneyland and are AP holders. That being said we've had great cruises on Carnival and RCI. Then we boarded the Fantasy. Wow was the word we used. The attention to detail, the cleanliness. The ship is amazing. Ok, the added cost. With Disney the first thing we noticed was no nickel and diming. No tables set up in the atrium hawking goods like "gold by the foot". Nowhere on the ship will you find flea market type setups trying to sell whatever junk they can.

Moving on.. You can bring your own beer/liquor onboard and the captains gala on the 2nd night serves real drinks for 2 hours not junkie champagne. Soda is included, the movie theater onboard plus every Disney movie ever on demand in your stateroom for no charge. The food quality was noticeable and the service is excellent. They really do add that extra touch. Should I go back to the ship and how amazing and beautiful it is? The Aquaduck with no up charge. Crab for lunch. It's all in the details. Sure you might spend more up front but you do get your money's worth and you won't find yourself charging your key card all day. The drinks are cheaper as well.

Anyways, if you're on the fence, yes it takes a bit more savings upfront but once your onboard you'll see and feel the value of your effort. Everything is run so well that if you're worried about kids running wild it's just not happening. Adults and kids have their own areas and Disney does such a great job at giving you the experience that you want. Oh and Mickey Ice Cream Bars are included too, unlimited!! The burgers are great poolside, the pretzels, ice cream.. All included. Ok I'm going on too much :)

I was a skeptic about the value. Note the word "was". We love Disneyland and are AP holders. That being said we've had great cruises on Carnival and RCI. Then we boarded the Fantasy. Wow was the word we used. The attention to detail, the cleanliness. The ship is amazing. Ok, the added cost. With Disney the first thing we noticed was no nickel and diming. No tables set up in the atrium hawking goods like "gold by the foot". Nowhere on the ship will you find flea market type setups trying to sell whatever junk they can.

Moving on.. You can bring your own beer/liquor onboard and the captains gala on the 2nd night serves real drinks for 2 hours not junkie champagne. Soda is included, the movie theater onboard plus every Disney movie ever on demand in your stateroom for no charge. The food quality was noticeable and the service is excellent. They really do add that extra touch. Should I go back to the ship and how amazing and beautiful it is? The Aquaduck with no up charge. Crab for lunch. It's all in the details. Sure you might spend more up front but you do get your money's worth and you won't find yourself charging your key card all day. The drinks are cheaper as well.

Anyways, if you're on the fence, yes it takes a bit more savings upfront but once your onboard you'll see and feel the value of your effort. Everything is run so well that if you're worried about kids running wild it's just not happening. Adults and kids have their own areas and Disney does such a great job at giving you the experience that you want. Oh and Mickey Ice Cream Bars are included too, unlimited!! The burgers are great poolside, the pretzels, ice cream.. All included. Ok I'm going on too much :)

You say all included, eh? Remy and Palo are upcharge and are in fact are increasing their prices. Mixed drinks are $8-10 (alcoholic or not). Concessions at WDT and movie theater are paid ($5 bucks for a small popcorn, $10+ for souvenir bucket). Some items in the room service menu _are_ paid. Photography packages outrageously expensive.

So, OK, you get juices and soda included. Every single cruiseline I've looked at has an unlimited juice, coffee and soda package for about $5/person/day. On a 7-night cruise, tha's $40 per person (assume x 4 2AD/2CH, that's $160). None of the cruise lines charge for their water parks, pools or slides. None of them charge for hotdogs, hamberguers and pizza. None of them charge for soft-serve ice-cream. All for thousands of dollars less than DCL. If you so easily disregard nominal cost because of pixie dust, you are either incredibly wealthy and aloof or you don't handle your house hold finances and aren't aware of the financial burden extra $2-3K can have in your financial planning.