Royal Caribbean Crew Member Pleads Guilty to Sexual Abuse

A Royal Caribbean crew member pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a cruise passenger last year, according to a New Jersey newspaper.

NJ.com reports that Karan Seechurn of Mauritius, an employee who worked aboard the Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas, pleaded guilty to one count of abusive sexual contact.

In December of last year, crew member Seechurm (a mini-bar attendant) used a master key while he Karan Seechurn Royal Caribbean Cruisewas off-duty to enter a woman's cabin and molested the woman while she was sleeping.

It's a dangerous practice to give male cabin attendants or mini-bar attendants a master key to passenger cabins. Prior sexual assaults have occurred on Royal Caribbean ships under similar circumstances. Royal Caribbean touts the Quantum as the most technological advanced cruise ship on the high seas. It's too bad that the cruise line didn't use old school technology and deactivate the master keys and cards to passenger cabins after hours.

The crew member faces up to three years for the sexual abuse charge. The sentence seems quite light. Seechurn tried to prevent the woman from leaving her cabin and threatened her when she awoke.

Many of his co-employees came to his defense on social media last year and posted comments disparaging the victim.

Edited by Sunlovers_

the cruise ship is a city unto itself. While on vacation, life goes on around the world; land or sea, with what you left behind. No excuse, but truth for all of us, including the cruise shipline to have checks and balance in place for to hold all in check.

Parents, dont forget this onboard by not having restrictions on your kids on the ship. True, its their vaca too, but they are young and poor judgement or too much trust is where they need your guidance and a curfew. As my dad said, nothing good happens after 10 pm - and if your doing something you dont want your mother and I to know about, you probably should not be doing it.

Edited by meripour

Too sad....unfortunately, stuff happens everywhere....

That's why I always double lock my door. Hell, I even lock the bathroom door when I am taking a shower. One never knows, does one? Stay safe and happy sailing to us all:)

That's why I always double lock my door. Hell, I even lock the bathroom door when I am taking a shower. One never knows, does one? Stay safe and happy sailing to us all:)

Double locking doors is always good, but you still Need to be Aware of the fact that the door can be opened from the outside with a Special key. This key is not in the Hands of cabin attendants, mini-bar Service etc.

As for the bathroom door. You know that those can be opened from the outside without any Special tool or key. Often a coin or screwdriver can open those locks.

Be aware that double locking doesn't make a big difference. We was in an adjoining cabin while the door was double lock and got a delivery of wine the attendant key open both locks. Than I tried our key it also open both locks. not sure how many keys can open both it not all. I was surprised by this.

Be aware that double locking doesn't make a big difference. We was in an adjoining cabin while the door was double lock and got a delivery of wine the attendant key open both locks. Than I tried our key it also open both locks. not sure how many keys can open both it not all. I was surprised by this.

How does your key-card open the DEADBOLT lock? :confused::confused::confused:

I think there's a misunderstanding here about what double-locking involves.

the cruise ship is a city unto itself. While on vacation, life goes on around the world; land or sea, with what you left behind. No excuse, but truth for all of us, including the cruise shipline to have checks and balance in place for to hold all in check.

Parents, dont forget this onboard by not having restrictions on your kids on the ship. True, its their vaca too, but they are young and poor judgement or too much trust is where they need your guidance and a curfew. As my dad said, nothing good happens after 10 pm - and if your doing something you dont want your mother and I to know about, you probably should not be doing it.

My parents wise words as well. We lived by them and I raised my children by them...It is nice when I hear my 25 yr old tell her friends, "NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS AFTER 10 PM"...she also reminds them there is, "SAFETY IN NUMBERS"...she never wanders alone and if she has no choice, she calls a family member and talks on her cell phone until she gets to her car, all the while checking left and right of her surroundings. Great lessons to learn:)

The door lock is battery operated. When you leave your cabin, you should double check to make sure the door is locked from the outside. This happened to friends of ours. They called guest services to report it, and were told, not to worry, it was probably the battery and it happens all the time. Not to worry, all of their stuff was in the cabin! We waited, and maintenance finally appeared after about half an hour to replace the battery.

How does your key-card open the DEADBOLT lock? :confused::confused::confused:

I think there's a misunderstanding here about what double-locking involves.

We have quite a few hotels in my town, and the hotels usually supply Law Enforcement with emergency master key-cards that do, indeed, open the deadbolt lock on the door. The deadbolt locks are mechanically connected to the card-reader system (and are usually in the same housing) and will indeed open when a properly coded key-card is used.