Why do cruiselines seldom post single prices

cfs2000

I prefer a cabin occupied solely by myself. However there is rarely obvious to me any simply formula by which I can get from a cruiseline's posted double occupancy price to a single occupancy price. Even on the same cruiseline for one cruise it will be a 75% surcharge over the double occupancy price but for another cruise it may be more than a 100% surcharge over the double occupancy price. It is very hard to comparison shop without taking up a lot of agent's time.

I understand what you mean and agree. This is why for our August 19, 2006 Cruise Critic group cruise I wanted to have a single price that we could post for the most popular category for solo travelers (inside) and also put the TA on notice who is handling the group cruise booking to be able to provide the single pricing for singles who call for pricing for other categories. Right now the single supplement is 50% above the double occupancy price (which I understand is stated as a 150% single supplement). But Princess could even elect to increase that in the future.

Hi,:) I have been sailing solo for more than 2 years now. Your question is a good

one. Why don't they post single prices? Because they are only looking for

2 people per cabin.

They (most of the time) don't care if you have to pay 50, 100, up to double %

of the per person price.

As for the TA....I am quite lucky and have a TA who doesn't mind taking

the extra time to figure out the prices for me.

Actually, a good TA shouldn't mind doing that for you. It is part of the service

extended.

When only one person is in a room, that is half the tip, half the alcohol, half the excursions, half the shopping/gambling. The ship's profit is in those extras so when there is only one person in a room, that room probably will not show a profit. However several of the major cruiselines are now getting with the program and understand that empty-nest baby boomers are their bread and butter and are just as likely to be single as married or coupled off. I find when travelling solo, you do better on the internet because different websites have different single prices for the same date/cruise. The closer to the departure date, the lower the supplement for going solo. At times it is eliminated all together if the ship is selling slowly. Also, go for the "guarantee" cabin categories (the lower the better), that allows the cruise to use the singles to fill "gaps" in the ship. If there are 3 or 4 people in 3 or 4 rooms right near each other, the ship can give the steward a break by putting a "single" near these capacity rooms, thus balancing out the workload. Carnival is more ameniable to singles while Royal Carib more than doubles their rates if you take up an entire room alone. Go figure.

I love to cruise solo. I am doing Pride of America 10/01/05 solo and can't wait.

Carnival is more ameniable to singles while Royal Carib more than doubles their rates if you take up an entire room alone. Go figure.

True....

it's actually cheaper for me to travel Crystal than Celebrity to the Mediterranean next summer because of the silly single supplements some lines charge. Crystal is good....only 125% on pretty much every sailing for the lower categroy rooms.

Archived