NCL Sun - Upgrade from Balcony to Aft Mini Suite?

SeahawkSiren

Hello all. Next year we are booked on the NCL Sun for an 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise. We are currently booked in a starboard balcony cabin (category BD - so we are nearly all the way aft). I noticed there are still a few Aft Mini Suites available (category M1).

There is currently an $800 price difference for us to upgrade to M1. Should I pull the trigger and upgrade or keep the balcony cabin? This will be our first cruise to Mexican Riviera, and our first cruise over 7 days in length. Thought it might be nice for the extra space especially with a longer cruise, a larger balcony with a more panoramic view, and a bathtub. We have also never been in a category above balcony so this would be a real treat for us. Just debating on whether it's worth it for $800. Need to decide before the end of the month so we don't lose our UBP. Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi

We have been in the aft balcony mini suite twice on the sun, once on a back to back and once on an 11 day southern Caribbean. We LOVED the location. The balcony seemed a bit deeper then most and it was a very quiet location on the ship. We spent a lot if time on the balcony and rarely felt the need to get our "sunning" time elsewhere. For us, it's AFT all the way.

Enjoy every minute which ever you choose.

Cheers!

The mini-suites on the Sun are the nicest (and largest) ones in the entire NCL fleet - you can not compare them to mini-suites on other ships, they are substantially larger than mini-suites on other ships in the fleet. We have not been in an aft facing mini-suite on the Sun, but we have been in a front-facing one, and also a regular one near the front of the ship. They were both very nice and spacious, and the front facing one even larger, with a very large balcony. I don't know if the layout of the aft facing mini-suites on the sun are similar to the front facing ones or to the regular ones - but either way, you will love the view from an aft facing one (and also always be protected from the "elements").

Edited by TrumpyNor

As previously mentioned,the Sun regular minis are the best. I don't know about the aft minis. The bathrooms have a full size tub. There's a separated dressing area, and then a huge walk in type closet, all separate from the living areas. The actualy balcony itself is a very nice size. This link has a few pics of the Sun mini. I noticed it also has lots of pics of food.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Sun%20Mini%20Suite/IMG_2055_zps6013f929.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

We have stayed in balcony cabins, mini suites, and regular suites on the Sun, Pearl and Dawn, I would take the mini aft on the Sun over any other cabin we have ever stayed in, we let our Sun aft mini be included in a cabin crawl on a cruise and people liked it better than the aft suites. It is the cabin we always remember as our favorite! I think it was on deck 9, I would have to check, I am not sure if 8 and 10 are the same. Also, if you have never stayed in an aft facing cabin you will probably get hooked.

We just were on the Sun in an aft mini, and it was much larger than the Jewel and the Dawn Mid-ship Mini's. It was our first aft, and it had a roomy balcony and almost a small walk- in closet area between the bathroom and the door to enter the bathroom. We found this extra space to be quite luxurious as we have never been in a real suite. The aft has a wonderful breeze, but in the afternoon we had to shut the curtains as the sun would heat up the room.

After our first experience in the back of the ship, and we have now booked the Breakaway in the aft. I know it will not be as roomy, but we enjoyed the aft very much!:)

If you can get an aft mini on decks 9 or 10, do it. It's an incredible upgrade from a balcony; you'll think you died and are in heaven. We've been in minis on both 9 and 10, and the ones on 10 are slightly larger. I would not book deck 8 since it's right above the theater and can be noisy.

On our last B2B on the Sun, we had aft mini 0267 then moved to SG forward penthouse 8002. The penthouse bathroom was much larger and nicer, but there was less storage space in the penthouse, I guess because of the odd shape of the cabin.

If it was $800 for both of you, yes probably. We stayed on 10 aft on Sun in a mini and liked the room. The aft minis are set up a bit different than the front ones. The tub in our room was not full sized.

As others have said 9 first, then 10. 8 would not be a good pick.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Decided to do the upgrade and are now officially booked in an Aft Mini Suite on the Sun. I got the last remaining one on Deck 9! Very excited! Would have been nice to wait for a possible price drop closer to the sailing date but didn't want to lose the UBP promotion we received so had to decide by the end of this month. The cost of a UBP for this 11 night cruise is substantially more than the cost of the upgrade to this mini suite, but since we got the UBP promo included that made the decision to upgrade much easier. Probably would not have considered it otherwise.

Sounds like the Sun is the best NCL ship to enjoy our first Aft Mini Suite! Thanks again.