Recommendation for Seattle hotel

logbook

Having never cruised out of Seattle, or been there at all, this is all so confusing to me reading about the different areas to stay the night before the cruise, July 2016. Are there nice hotels you can recommend that are just in a decent area to go out and walk to dinner? We won't arrive until the afternoon, and leave in the morning, so we don't have much time. I just need a nice CLEAN hotel!!! Any help would be appreciated!

Downtown Seattle hotels are pretty pricey. You didn't mention anything about a budget. The advantage of staying downtown is the ability to sightsee that afternoon/evening and the following morning. Look at the Seattle Center/Space Needle area.

The airport area is much cheaper. All the major chains are represented near SeaTac in case you have points to use. And if you visit downtown, the Light Rail takes 40 minutes and costs $3.

If you stay at a hotel that partners with Seattle Express, the shuttle to either pier is $12pp. http://www.seattleexpress.com/2901.html

Otherwise use expedia or any similar site in order to find a hotel that meets your budget and other requirements.

Edited by mapleleaves

We stayed at the Marriott waterfront a few years ago after a transatlantic flight from Europe. Took a town car from the airport ( didn't book in advance, but used a dedicated phone in the arrivals terminal) went straight to the hotel, had a meal in the hotel, then straight to bed. Had a day to explore Seattle, easy walk from the hotel, then the next morning, walked across to the terminal to board our cruise ship.

The hotel was very comfortable, but be aware that some rooms may be affected by noise from the railway directly behind the hotel.

Our room overlooked a raised garden and walkway which led to a public elevator ( lift) from city level to waterfront level. That area was frequented by drug dealers, didn't pose any threat to us, but worrying to watch the young cadets, from a Russian military sailing ship docked in the port, making their purchases and hiding them inside their peaked caps! Sounds bad, but I would certainly stay in that hotel again as it was very clean, comfortable and convenient!

You can try Hotwire or Priceline for a 4star, downtown area. Any 4 stars in downtown are going to be nice. There is a sticky on top of the West Coast Departures thread that will give you examples of the prices.

The Westin Downtown and the Mayflower were my favorites.

Edited by pizzalady1

The Mayflower Park, referenced by pizzalady1, is our current favorite Seattle hotel. Love the location -- right beside Westlake which is a terminus for the light rail from SeaTac, and also has the downtown monorail station for easy access to the attractions to SeattleCenter. Also an easy walk to Pike Place Market, Benaroya Hall and the Seattle Art Museum. Also has a great staff which seem to work there for years.

it's kind of an awkward location for sightseeing .... not super close to downtown core or to Seattle Center, so nothing is a block or 2 away. Think of the downtown core as 4th/Pine. I mean look at the Mayflower which has been mentioned several times. It's 2 blocks to the Market OR next door you can catch the monorail to the Seattle Center.

OTOH, if you can use points or get a great price, a taxi to get you anywhere downtown will only be about $10. So 2 taxis a day might be well worth it.

it's kind of an awkward location for sightseeing .... not super close to downtown core or to Seattle Center, so nothing is a block or 2 away. Think of the downtown core as 4th/Pine. I mean look at the Mayflower which has been mentioned several times. It's 2 blocks to the Market OR next door you can catch the monorail to the Seattle Center.

OTOH, if you can use points or get a great price, a taxi to get you anywhere downtown will only be about $10. So 2 taxis a day might be well worth it.

thanks! I'll check out the Mayflower to start!

Someone in another thread posted that Priceline has special pricing for the Warwick. Looks like a nice hotel in a downtown location just a few blocks from the monorail. For July this year they're showing $208 (vs $309 at the nearby Westin, for instance) + tax. Priceline isn't showing July 2016 prices yet, so maybe check them again in 4-5 months if interested.

Edited by dbsb3233

thanks! I'll check out the Mayflower to start!

Conversely, look at the other end of the monorail, the Seattle Center/ Space Needle. Usually a little cheaper than downtown ..... Hampton Inn (free b'fast), Maxwell (free shuttle to downtown). Quality Inn (free b'fast but a little older than the others)

If you stayed in this area, you would walk 10 minutes to the Space Needle, catch the monorail to Westlake Center (5 minute ride), then walk 3 blocks to the Market.

p.s. I stayed at the Inn at the Market and loved it.... the rooftop deck has incredible views of Puget Sound, the Wheel, the Olympic Mountains if a clear day, ferry traffic. It's probably over $300 in the summer but since you looking a yr ahead, you might catch a deal.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

Thank you again for all the suggestions. None of the hotels are booking out that far, that I checked anyway. I'm just looking at the prices for this July and August to see what to expect. Wow.. some are well over $300... but there are others. I REALLY appreciate all the help.

Seattle hotels are pricey, but if you're looking now at July 2015 prices they will be even higher because it's practically a last minute booking.

ie people who booked the Sleep Inn at SeaTac back in December got a rate of about $100 or so, whereas if you called now the rate would be closer to $200.

Seattle hotels are pricey, but if you're looking now at July 2015 prices they will be even higher because it's practically a last minute booking.

ie people who booked the Sleep Inn at SeaTac back in December got a rate of about $100 or so, whereas if you called now the rate would be closer to $200.

I figured (and hoped!) that was the case. :)

I think the Maxwell Hotel sounds really nice - and in a good location. The price seems okay. The reviews are wonderful, and that is really important to me that it is a clean place to stay! I think we are all set! thanks again for the advice and information!

Check out this thread about restaurants near the Warwick. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2201802

What I do is reserve a cancellable hotel at whatever rate I can get as soon as bookings open up. Then I keep searching Priceline and Hotwire and LastMinuteTravel, etc. If I find something, that is great. If not, I still have my fallback reservation.

I actually was able to book Maxwell Hotel yesterday for July 2016! I was shocked it was open, as I had called the hotel previously and they told me they aren't taking reservations that far out. But I did it - and got a confirmation, and it can be canceled. I will continue to watch other hotels too.

I actually was able to book Maxwell Hotel yesterday for July 2016! I was shocked it was open, as I had called the hotel previously and they told me they aren't taking reservations that far out. But I did it - and got a confirmation, and it can be canceled. I will continue to watch other hotels too.

Did you book it on-line or by phone?

If you go to SEARCH THIS FORUM then enter the word Maxwell, you;ll find quite a few past threads that mention the Maxwell ... very favorably.

There was one thread where the poster booked his room in Sept '14 for May '15 and paid a little over $200.

If you go to SEARCH THIS FORUM then enter the word Maxwell, you;ll find quite a few past threads that mention the Maxwell ... very favorably.

There was one thread where the poster booked his room in Sept '14 for May '15 and paid a little over $200.

The reviews are good that I have seen. We got it for a little over $200.00. Definitely a keeper unless something more interesting comes up! Thanks again for all your help! Another question for you.....:) If we only have from about 2:00 until late evening, and have never been to Seattle, what do you suggest we don't miss?

If we only have from about 2:00 until late evening, and have never been to Seattle, what do you suggest we don't miss?[/quote)

You also have the next morning until at least noon/1pm. In the morning I would suggest checking out of the hotel, but leave your luggage with the desk, then head to Pike Place Market for a few hours to enjoy it during the quieter times . Your hotel is only 15 minutes from the pier so there's no need to rush.

As for what to do in the evening, it depends on your interests (and weather). If you want an overview of the city, try RIDE THE DUCKS or EMERALD CITY TROLLEY. The Seattle Center has the Space Needle, Chihuly Exhibit, EMP, Science Center if of interest, then hop on the monorail and go downtown. I always take out of town guests on the ferry or on the water taxi to Alki Beach in West Seattle. Fabulous views of the seattle skyline and some nice little restaurants. ... and seals on the buoys, sometimes bald eagles. See gardyloo's photos in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2015908&highlight=alki

You have a year to think about it. I'd suggest reading thru trip reports on the Alaska forum this summer to see what worked for other travelers and look at the Seattle web sites:

http://www.visitseattle.org/Home.aspx

http://www.seattle.gov/visiting-seattle/points-of-interest

If we only have from about 2:00 until late evening, and have never been to Seattle, what do you suggest we don't miss?[/quote)

You also have the next morning until at least noon/1pm. In the morning I would suggest checking out of the hotel, but leave your luggage with the desk, then head to Pike Place Market for a few hours to enjoy it during the quieter times . Your hotel is only 15 minutes from the pier so there's no need to rush.

As for what to do in the evening, it depends on your interests (and weather). If you want an overview of the city, try RIDE THE DUCKS or EMERALD CITY TROLLEY. The Seattle Center has the Space Needle, Chihuly Exhibit, EMP, Science Center if of interest, then hop on the monorail and go downtown. I always take out of town guests on the ferry or on the water taxi to Alki Beach in West Seattle. Fabulous views of the seattle skyline and some nice little restaurants. ... and seals on the buoys, sometimes bald eagles. See gardyloo's photos in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2015908&highlight=alki

You have a year to think about it. I'd suggest reading thru trip reports on the Alaska forum this summer to see what worked for other travelers and look at the Seattle web sites:

http://www.visitseattle.org/Home.aspx

http://www.seattle.gov/visiting-seattle/points-of-interest

Lots of interesting things to do! Thanks!