We will Never Forget

Guest Host Tink

I'm a little late, but wanted to add my thoughts from Canada - our hearts ached for our southern neighbours on Sept 11. Each year we remember the devastation of families and loss of lives that took place, and how terrorism can hit so very close to our home, too.

On our Coral Princess Panama Canal trip in February of this year, we had the pleasure of meeting a lady who was in the Pentagon when the plane hit - she was very disfigured, but she had an iron will and a spirit I will never forget. She might have lost her hands and most of her beautiful complexion, but she had a beauty of spirit that simply radiated around her. I will never forget her - she made 9-11 very real for us. God bless.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Nice to see this thread and those who have replied.

Our office had employees in the Pentagon on that day, one of them my professional mentor and friend. I think of him often and will never forget watching the Pentagon burn, while going through the painful task of accounting for our employees, hoping they were safe, to eventually learn they had perished or were injured.

My heart goes out to all, whether directly involved or otherwise. God Bless.

Thanks for opening this thread and making it a sticky.

I have many friends who were working in WTC7, the building that collapsed evening of 11 Sep after suffering effects of WTC1 and 2 falling. They all escaped without major injury or loss of life but only occasionally will speak of it. They just saw too much that no one should ever have to experience.

I also live less than a mile from the Pentagon. The plane flew directly over my house and put cracks in my plaster it was so close. I was heartened to see so many people here mention friends or people they had met from the attack on the Pentagon. I always thought the media played down the loss of life at the Pentagon--obviously a fraction of those who died in New York, so perhaps understandably--and always wondered if they thought those lives counted less because they were working for the government. Their sacrifice, or that of the people on the plane in Pennsylvania, leaves just as big a hole in the lives of their loved ones.

So, never forget any of those lost.

I remember two things about that day.

1) My boss, who was a nurse, saying she DID NOT want to hear us talking about what happened because it didn't affect us. What kind of supposedly caring person says a thing like that. Every other department where I work (a university in Wisconsin) had tv sets up - we weren't allowed.

2) A friend of mine lived less that three blocks from ground zero. I was terrified that he was caught in the disaster. For two days I was panicked until I got an e-mail from him - he was on a cruise.

I will never forget September 11.

Gayle2

Archived