use of computers without internet on board

snowy01

We are booked on our first ever cruise on Arcadia and a (probably really stupid) question has come up: Is it possible to use the computers on board without buying an internet package? Just for transferring our photos regularly from the camera to a USB memory stick. Or should we bring our own laptop for this? We are not planning to use the internet while on the ship.

We are booked on our first ever cruise on Arcadia and a (probably really stupid) question has come up: Is it possible to use the computers on board without buying an internet package? Just for transferring our photos regularly from the camera to a USB memory stick. Or should we bring our own laptop for this? We are not planning to use the internet while on the ship.

Yes you can use the computers onboard without buying an internet package, but you will only be able to look at the P and O website!

Personally if you just want to transfer photos I would probably take my own laptop, so I can do it in the privacy of the cabin.

Not sure what the rules are about plugging things into the onboard ones. Also not sure the ports would be easily accessable on the onboard ones.

Yes you can use the computers onboard without buying an internet package, but you will only be able to look at the P and O website!

Personally if you just want to transfer photos I would probably take my own laptop, so I can do it in the privacy of the cabin.

Not sure what the rules are about plugging things into the onboard ones. Also not sure the ports would be easily accessable on the onboard ones.

I seem to remember on Ventura the last time I was onboard, the actual PC's were always in a locked cabinet at each desk. Maybe if you asked the staff during manned hours they could allow you access. x

SD cards are cheap so you could just change cards daily. You might still have a faulty card though.

Say a 14 day cruise at a card a day costing £4 = £56

Yuo can buy devices that allow you to backup a SD card without a computer but they are expensive.

Its probably just as easy to leave them on your camera and do all the fiddly bits back home as you wont be able to do anything with them on your laptop either.

Not really safe just to leave on the camera.

If anything happened to the camera, that would be all ones holiday pix lost.

On a laptop you can play around with pictures on photo gallery.

I have got to the stage where I download my pix every couple of days to my google nexus.

When I get home I download from the camera to our main PC, and do the fiddling about then, and upload to online storage as well, plus our back up hard drive.

All the above means should anything happen to my camera on holiday I will not lose all my pix. When I get home I have pix stored in at least 2 different places, so I should never lose them all totally.

Belt and braces maybe, but having lost pix in the past because I did not download every day/couple of days I am much more careful now.

As a matter of interest, how do you transfer your photos to your Google Nexus?

First of all I had to get a male/female cable..not sure what way round it is..

Its about 4inches long..one end is a normal usb and the end of the camera cable plugs into that..so would that be the female end? The other end is a mini usb that you plug into the nexus-so guessing that is the male end.

We purchased the above in one of our cruise stops in Greece?? (the one with the famous clock(?) That was fun trying to explain what I wanted....when I was not sure what I wanted.

Next you download the Nexus media importer app.

With the above you should then you should be able to download pix to the nexus, from your camera. I think in a very basic way I can fiddle with them as well.

Probably with my description all as clear as mud.

"Probably with my description all as clear as mud".

No,that's fine, thanks. I'll have to see if I have got a camera cable. I usually transfer my pics to the computer by sticking the card into the reader on the computer but I can always buy a stand alone card reader.

The cable you need is called a OTG (on the go) cable.

I recently got one for 99p delivered from eBay. The description was

USB A Female to Micro B Male OTG Adapter USB Cable For Nexus 7 10 Samsung Google

although I see they are now £1.25 form this seller!

Works well with the inexpensive (currently £3.21) Nexus Media Importer app downloaded from Google Play.

The cable you need is called a OTG (on the go) cable.

I recently got one for 99p delivered from eBay. The description was

USB A Female to Micro B Male OTG Adapter USB Cable For Nexus 7 10 Samsung Google

although I see they are now £1.25 form this seller!

Works well with the inexpensive (currently £3.21) Nexus Media Importer app downloaded from Google Play.

See I should have had you on the cruise with me, then I would have known what to ask for.....:confused:;);)

Stupid person that I am. I did not check before going that my camera cable would plug into my nexus...hence why we were in distant climes trying to describe what we wanted.

For anyone with a non nexus android device then ES file explorer which is free from the play store will let you do the transfer. It will also let you copy files to your PC if on the same WiFi network and you have sharing enabled on the PC. It's a really good app.

The nexus is a bit strange that you have to use this particular media importer app to transfer files.

For anyone with a non nexus android device then ES file explorer which is free from the play store will let you do the transfer. It will also let you copy files to your PC if on the same WiFi network and you have sharing enabled on the PC. It's a really good app.

The nexus is a bit strange that you have to use this particular media importer app to transfer files.

I discovered this when I went from laptop to the nexus. I thought how do I transfer from my camera. So onto Google I went, and found quite a few web pages where people were complaining that you had to have this particular app to import the pix. Short and curlies sort of thing.

My next quest maybe to see if I can download a film onto a memory stick, plug memory stick into nexus, using the aforesaid cable, and using the app to view it.

Nothing like a challenge to somebody not particularly tech minded like me.

SD cards are cheap so you could just change cards daily. You might still have a faulty card though.

Say a 14 day cruise at a card a day costing £4 = £56

Yuo can buy devices that allow you to backup a SD card without a computer but they are expensive.

You could use a cheap Android tablet (you can get them for £30 or so) that could do this.

I discovered this when I went from laptop to the nexus. I thought how do I transfer from my camera. So onto Google I went, and found quite a few web pages where people were complaining that you had to have this particular app to import the pix. Short and curlies sort of thing.

My next quest maybe to see if I can download a film onto a memory stick, plug memory stick into nexus, using the aforesaid cable, and using the app to view it.

Nothing like a challenge to somebody not particularly tech minded like me.

The Nexuss (Nexii ?) don't have a card slot though I think you can get plug in ones.

Most modern cameras are USB memory devices in their own right - if you plug them into a computer they can be accessed as if they were a flash drive.

Not really safe just to leave on the camera.

If anything happened to the camera, that would be all ones holiday pix lost.

On a laptop you can play around with pictures on photo gallery.

I have got to the stage where I download my pix every couple of days to my google nexus.

When I get home I download from the camera to our main PC, and do the fiddling about then, and upload to online storage as well, plus our back up hard drive.

All the above means should anything happen to my camera on holiday I will not lose all my pix. When I get home I have pix stored in at least 2 different places, so I should never lose them all totally.

Belt and braces maybe, but having lost pix in the past because I did not download every day/couple of days I am much more careful now.

Many years ago I lost my camera on holiday - in the days before digital. Now at least we can back up our photos. We usually take a laptop, then every night look at the photos which is great fun, empty the camera card onto the laptop and onto a USB stick and charge up the camera via the computer. I don't really like taking my laptop ..... if anything happened to it, that would be even worse than loss of camera. Will take husband's laptop on this occasion :).