Room Service Charge Now Fleetwide, New Restaurant Pricing Onboard Norwegian Cruise LI

LauraS

What is the reasoning for the reduction of .05 cents in the cover charges? Like that is a huge discount!!? And they could not reduce Teppanyaki by a Nickle like they did the rest? Maybe they figured they'd give back some of the nickle and dimes everyone is complaining about.

And still no mention of the "exciting menu upgrades".

Check out the latest Norwegian Cruise Line news from Cruise Critic:

Room Service Charge Now Fleetwide, New Restaurant Pricing Onboard Norwegian Cruise LIne

Thanks Laura for posting this. I searched NCL's website and couldn't find anything like this there. Just wondering.....hear anything about the 'no take out' rumor? LOL

Harriet

What is the reasoning for the reduction of .05 cents in the cover charges? Like that is a huge discount!!? And they could not reduce Teppanyaki by a Nickle like they did the rest? Maybe they figured they'd give back some of the nickle and dimes everyone is complaining about.

Psychology/marketing ploy. I am kind of figured this test would go fleetwide but really thought it would be the lesser amount. Del Rio is going to make it so I never sail NCL again:(.

Thanks for posting. So does this mean not all the ships asian resturaunts will be free? NCL website shows 14 ships. Which three are not included?

This was the previous CC press release (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6298) regarding Asian restaurants becoming complimentary:

"Norwegian Cruise Line Waives Cover at Popular Asian Restaurants Across Fleet

April 13, 2015

(11:30 a.m. EDT) -- Your next noodle bowl or dumpling onboard a Norwegian cruise ship might just be free. Eleven of the line's Asian restaurants will now provide meals on a complimentary basis. The now-free restaurants are Shanghai's Noodle Bar on Norwegian Breakaway, Getaway and Epic; Shanghai's on Norwegian Epic; Orchid Garden on Norwegian Gem; Lotus Garden on Norwegian Pearl; Chin Chin on Norwegian Jewel; Jasmine Garden on Norwegian Jade; Bamboo on Norwegian Dawn; Shogun on Norwegian Spirit; Ginza on Norwegian Star; and East Meets West on Pride of America. Teppanyaki will continue to carry a cover charge, and sushi venues across the fleet will remain priced a la carte."

The release is slightly inaccurate: They actually listed 12 restaurants, not 11 as written. The 12 listed restaurants are from 11 ships. The 3 ships not listed are Sky, Sun, and Escape. Sky has no Asian restaurants. Sun has Teppanyaki (still a specialty) and Ginza Sushi (still a la carte). I believe Escape will have Teppanyaki, as well as some Asian dishes in Food Republic (?), both specialty restaurants.

So, other than the 12 now-complimentary restaurants listed in the press release, along with Teppanyaki and the sushi venues, I don't think there are any other Asian restaurants on their 14 ships.

I was reading the fine print on the new room service menu and trying to make sense of it. Sounds like if you order a non complimentary beverage then you do not pay the convenience fee. So if you order a soda for $2.25 or a beer for $5.75 then you do not have to pay the $7,95 convenience fee?

Here is the fine print:

*An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentary beverage or special occasion items. Complimentary continental breakfast and orders that include special occasion and/or non-complimentary

beverage items are exempt from the $7.95 convenience charge. Please Note: Embarkation Day Room Service is served from the time of embarkation, 24 hours a day. Disembarkation Day Room Service is served until 9:00 am. If you have any

type of food allergy, please advise your server before ordering. Your check may reflect an additional tax f or certain ports or itineraries. Prices are subject to change. **These items are served raw or undercooked, or contain (or may contain) raw

or undercooked ingredients. Consuming raw or undercooked meats, seafood, shellfish, eggs, milk or poultry ma y increase your risk of food borne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.

© 2015 NCL CORPORATION LTD. SHIP’S REGISTRY: BAHAMAS AND U.S.A.

Rochelle

Marketing research has shown for years that that .05 cents makes a huge difference - also why many things are priced at .99. Certainly not true for everyone, but it's proven true time and time again.

I was reading the fine print on the new room service menu and trying to make sense of it. Sounds like if you order a non complimentary beverage then you do not pay the convenience fee. So if you order a soda for $2.25 or a beer for $5.75 then you do not have to pay the $7,95 convenience fee?

Here is the fine print:

*An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentary beverage or special occasion items. Complimentary continental breakfast and orders that include special occasion and/or non-complimentary

beverage items are exempt from the $7.95 convenience charge. Please Note: Embarkation Day Room Service is served from the time of embarkation, 24 hours a day. Disembarkation Day Room Service is served until 9:00 am. If you have any

type of food allergy, please advise your server before ordering. Your check may reflect an additional tax f or certain ports or itineraries. Prices are subject to change. **These items are served raw or undercooked, or contain (or may contain) raw

or undercooked ingredients. Consuming raw or undercooked meats, seafood, shellfish, eggs, milk or poultry ma y increase your risk of food borne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.

© 2015 NCL CORPORATION LTD. SHIP’S REGISTRY: BAHAMAS AND U.S.A.

Rochelle

Okay, I asked the following question and received the following answer from Norwegian Cruise Line:

Harriet: Norwegian Cruise Line

If ordering room service is there also an 18% gratuity added onto the $7.95 charge? Thanks!

They're answer was: Norwegian Cruise Line: Hi Harriet, thanks for reaching out. No there is not. Also pls keep in mind coffee and continental breakfast incur no charge!

Harriet

Okay, I asked the following question and received the following answer from Norwegian Cruise Line:

Harriet: Norwegian Cruise Line

If ordering room service is there also an 18% gratuity added onto the $7.95 charge? Thanks!

They're answer was: Norwegian Cruise Line: Hi Harriet, thanks for reaching out. No there is not. Also pls keep in mind coffee and continental breakfast incur no charge!

Harriet

So next question ... would you tip on top of that charge?

So next question ... would you tip on top of that charge?

Hmmm, for Continental breakfast being delivered to my room I have always tipped. Since there is no service charge or 18% gratuity, yes, I'd tip them like I always did for room service.

Something that had a service charge.....that's a tough one because I have yet to figure out WHERE or WHO gets that money.

Anything that already has an 18% gratuity added no matter where on the ship......I wouldn't tip more.

How about you?

Harriet

Hmmm, for Continental breakfast being delivered to my room I have always tipped. Since there is no service charge or 18% gratuity, yes, I'd tip them like I always did for room service.

Something that had a service charge.....that's a tough one because I have yet to figure out WHERE or WHO gets that money.

Anything that already has an 18% gratuity added no matter where on the ship......I wouldn't tip more.

How about you?

Harriet

Same issue. I would not tip on top of a mandatory gratuity ... but who's getting the $7.95 service charge? I doubt the server is. Unless something went horribly wrong, I would say yeah. I would end up tipping.

Same issue. I would not tip on top of a mandatory gratuity ... but who's getting the $7.95 service charge? I doubt the server is. Unless something went horribly wrong, I would say yeah. I would end up tipping.

Is the service charge a tip or simply a charge? What am I missing?

I would hope that the server was getting SOME of the $7.95 service fee. Why should NCL keep it all?

Harriet

Is the service charge a tip or simply a charge? What am I missing?

No one really knows. They call it a service charge. What, exactly, that means and where, exactly, that goes......is anyone's guess.

Harriet

Honestly, I hope people cancel enmass. This is a small charge, but a huge precedent they're setting. It means you can't count on them to keep their end of the bargain and you have no recourse. I'll be writing my attorney general and ask if there's any recourse for me.

Wish I could cancel. It's too late. But I definitely won't use them again.