Room Service Charge Now Fleetwide, New Restaurant Pricing Onboard Norwegian Cruise LI

LauraS

Probably not take it away entirely, but they COULD greatly devalue it by increasing the drink prices so that many of the drinks you planned on having would no longer be included.

Or in the case of the UDP, they could remove some venues from the included list.

Or, and this seems to already be happening....a family with 2 kids books with the free UDP promo in order to have some very special dining experiences the kids might not be able to afford at home, like escargot at Le Bistro. They were planning on the kids ordering the adult fare, not chicken fingers. No mention of it being for the first two in the cabin, or children excluded. A week or so before their cruise, they get an email informing them that only Mom and Dad get the UDP. The kids must order off the same "children's menu" available ship wide. If they order "escargot" they will pay full cover.

Also reported was a case where Mom and Dad purchased the UBP and assumed the kids could eat for half off the cover charge as had been policy in the past. The first night, Dad settled the bill and then was chased down the hall by staff who informed him they had made an error, policy had changed last week and he must pay full price for the child's meal. These two incidents are in a thread I think on page 4 here.

And they have full right to do any of this without recourse. It will hold up in court because you've agreed to it in your contract.

As I've said, typically the reason for this clause is to give a corp an out in case of a financial disaster. But NCL has taken advantage of it by implementing it for those of us who can't cancel. Yes, I'm one of those people which is why I'm raving about how wrong it is, until every person understands the huge implications of what seems like a small change..

It would be one thing if they changed it with notice to cancel. But they didn't.

They can do it again with any other fee or charge. They can do it as of today. You can board your ship and find out that they've added another fee (as passengers on the "test" ships found out about the room service charge as they boarded). The only way you have of ensuring this won't happen to you is to cancel your cruise before the cancel window closes. Otherwise they have you. You have no rights when it comes to the fees.

I hope someone comes back from their cruise and lets us know if they order room service with these new rules. I am curious to know if they remove the convenience fee when you order a soda or beer.

That statement in fine print at the bottom of the new room service menu is one of the most clearly worded set of rules and conditions anywhere in the NCL universe. And it ties back explicitly to the "Beverages" section up top by the asterisk preceeding the statement. If an order for anything on the menu also includes a soda or a beer it cannot "attract" a $7.95 convenience charge by their own policy.

Edited by old sole

That statement in fine print at the bottom of the new room service menu is one of the most clearly worded set of rules and conditions anywhere in the NCL universe. And it ties back explicitly to the "Beverages" section up top by the asterisk preceeding the statement. If an order for anything on the menu also includes a soda or a beer it cannot "attract" a $7.95 convenience charge by their own policy.

I am on the Jade next week and I plan on testing it out...if they try to charge me the $7.95 I will take a photograph of the bill and return the entire order. :)

Rochelle

I don't put too much into what NCL prints because every brochure I have states free room service and see how far that got us.

I completely agree with this interpretation. This actually made me laugh because I was also thinking that it is the only statement from NCL that is written clearly enough to not leave me scratching my head! As it is worded now, no order that includes a non-complimentary beverage should have the $7.95 assessed. So, drink some beers with your pizza/sandwiches/salads/etc., everybody...at least that's something worth paying to have delivered [emoji2]. Maybe we should all stop discussing the fine print, though, before NCL changes that, too [emoji13].

And they have full right to do any of this without recourse. It will hold up in court because you've agreed to it in your contract.

As I've said, typically the reason for this clause is to give a corp an out in case of a financial disaster. But NCL has taken advantage of it by implementing it for those of us who can't cancel. Yes, I'm one of those people which is why I'm raving about how wrong it is, until every person understands the huge implications of what seems like a small change..

It would be one thing if they changed it with notice to cancel. But they didn't.

They can do it again with any other fee or charge. They can do it as of today. You can board your ship and find out that they've added another fee (as passengers on the "test" ships found out about the room service charge as they boarded). The only way you have of ensuring this won't happen to you is to cancel your cruise before the cancel window closes. Otherwise they have you. You have no rights when it comes to the fees.

IMO, it is not accurate to say that one has "no rights." There are methods of legal recourse that have been successfully adjudicated (through lawsuits and arbitration-- there are many such episodes). Otherwise there would be nothing to prevent them from charging, say, a pillow and blanket fee of $1000 per passenger, or some other such nonsense. The challenge is proving damages regarding those actions in arbitration or in court. The "loopholes" of signing to allow for changes to be made do not specifically sate what is or is not considered arbitrary and capricious-- a common legal standard used for damages performed by a company. Is a room service fee capricious? Probably not. If one wanted to cancel on the basis of the change of available service originally ordered (i.e. wasn't grandfathered in) and was financially penalized for it, that might meet the standard. The hold harmless type of clause in the contract does make lawsuit success less likely, but not impossible.

I doubt though that the fear of potential lawsuit is high on the concerns of any line, compared to the financial impact that significant public relations problems would create. For those who want to try to change the policy, make noise, write letters, make phone calls, etc. I have spoken with my PCC about these concerns (especially about potential health problems), and asked that my comments be passed on. While it is easy to view a corporation as having nefarious intentions, they are also (like us) limited to not knowing what they do not know-- sometimes expressing your opinions can enlighten them and make a difference. Please do so politely, and preferably with a specific recommendation or request.

Cheers

IMO, it is not accurate to say that one has "no rights." There are methods of legal recourse that have been successfully adjudicated (through lawsuits and arbitration-- there are many such episodes). Otherwise there would be nothing to prevent them from charging, say, a pillow and blanket fee of $1000 per passenger, or some other such nonsense. The challenge is proving damages regarding those actions in arbitration or in court. The "loopholes" of signing to allow for changes to be made do not specifically sate what is or is not considered arbitrary and capricious-- a common legal standard used for damages performed by a company. Is a room service fee capricious? Probably not. If one wanted to cancel on the basis of the change of available service originally ordered (i.e. wasn't grandfathered in) and was financially penalized for it, that might meet the standard. The hold harmless type of clause in the contract does make lawsuit success less likely, but not impossible.

I doubt though that the fear of potential lawsuit is high on the concerns of any line, compared to the financial impact that significant public relations problems would create. For those who want to try to change the policy, make noise, write letters, make phone calls, etc. I have spoken with my PCC about these concerns (especially about potential health problems), and asked that my comments be passed on. While it is easy to view a corporation as having nefarious intentions, they are also (like us) limited to not knowing what they do not know-- sometimes expressing your opinions can enlighten them and make a difference. Please do so politely, and preferably with a specific recommendation or request.

Cheers

Ta is right in the contract it says pretty much everything is subject to change

Check out the latest Norwegian Cruise Line news from Cruise Critic:

Room Service Charge Now Fleetwide, New Restaurant Pricing Onboard Norwegian Cruise LIne

The room service fee when fleet wide. Wow, who didn't see that coming.

Love those 5¢ price reductions. I can't wait to take advantage of those new lower prices on my next NCL cruise in January 2017.

The reason why they don't add huge surprise charges is because it would be big news. Big news would destroy them. Instead they tick, tick, tick quietly so it doesn't inflame the masses. Make no mistake, though they can add more fees at any time. And if they did so this time without grandfathering in people who can't cancel, they will again.

And your contract says you agree to this. So the notion of suing? Who knows if you could recover any damages at all. You have to give away these rights to board the ship (of course, by then you can't back out).

The crazy thing is that NCL hasn't even informed their own customer service of this change. So people are calling and asking about it and the naive customer service people are saying it's still in testing mode. I found out via my TA that the change has, yes, gone fleetwide.

And BTW, speaking of lawsuits, in your contract you give away your right to class action lawsuit. So yes, you can sue, but passengers can't join together and sue. If passengers attempt to organize, the case has to go to arbitration.

I'm going to try and not let this cloud my upcoming cruise. However, needless to say, I won't be cruising again. Cruise lines have way too much power, and NCL has definitely taken advantage of it.

Edited by TATraveler

You have to give away these rights to board the ship (of course, by then you can't back out).

And BTW, speaking of lawsuits, in your contract you give away your right to class action lawsuit. So yes, you can sue, but passengers can't join together and sue. If passengers attempt to organize, the case has to go to arbitration.

You never give up your rights. You can sue NCL after the cruise and if the judge rules the contract unenforceable for any reason (such as a against public policy as example) you have a good chance of winning. The problem is, who wants to sue over a few hundred dollars?

As to the class action lawsuit, you are confusing a class action lawsuit with a lawsuit that involves many named plaintiffs. They are different and NCL cannot stop 2000 people from joining the same lawsuit. That is NOT a class action lawsuit.

You never give up your rights. You can sue NCL after the cruise and if the judge rules the contract unenforceable for any reason (such as a against public policy as example) you have a good chance of winning. The problem is, who wants to sue over a few hundred dollars?

As to the class action lawsuit, you are confusing a class action lawsuit with a lawsuit that involves many named plaintiffs. They are different and NCL cannot stop 2000 people from joining the same lawsuit. That is NOT a class action lawsuit.

Go to this document: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf and search for the words "class action".

A few hundred bucks times 2000 passengers is a lot of money.....and probably why they make us waive our right to class action.

I don't read it that way. That if we order soda to go with our 2 pizzas, burger, hot dog and salad, that we only pay for the soda and gratuity on that soda alone.

I can't see them letting us get away with that. I just think they don't have anyone intelligent enough to write the policy. But I do hope people who try this only pay soda gratuity.

Call it what you want to, its all semantics and BS...The new CEO has imposed for lack of a better name; a "resort fee" that goes directly into the pockets of the "board"...The crew probably gets what it always got, but whatever the extra charges are being called its all profit that the big boys and girls are getting, not the crew...

Until "business" is noticeably off and cabins are UN sold, expect more of the same terrible (lack of...) customer care treatment...One cruise line does it and gets away with, the others usually all follow...

Bottom line, NCL is running a business and worries about 1 thing and 1 thing only...Their own "bottom line" not our comfort...

I personally think NCL will be one of the reasons that "cruising" might have hit its peek, begin to fade from here...???From "Freestyle" to no style in no time at all...

We have been cruising with NCL for 4-5 cruises now, always a GREAT time, we're booked for next year...After that will wait and see...I still have questions about my upcoming cruise that I need answered regarding the UBP/UDP, both booked as "COMPS"...

Go to this document: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf and search for the words "class action".

A few hundred bucks times 2000 passengers is a lot of money.....and probably why they make us waive our right to class action.

I know what a class action lawsuit it. I also know what a lawsuit listing hundreds of plaintiffs is. They are separate things. Nobody is waiving their right to join a lawsuit naming 2000 fellow passengers as plaintiffs, as that is not a class action lawsuit.

A class action lawsuit does not name everyone, it simply names a class of people and a few class representatives.

Whether or not the contract would actually prevent the filing of a class action lawsuit is a different matter.

It is just that as individuals, nobody is going to file a lawsuit over a few hundred dollars, so NCL (and the other cruise lines) are counting on this to avoid lawsuits.

I don't read it that way. That if we order soda to go with our 2 pizzas, burger, hot dog and salad, that we only pay for the soda and gratuity on that soda alone.

I can't see them letting us get away with that. I just think they don't have anyone intelligent enough to write the policy. But I do hope people who try this only pay soda gratuity.

You can believe that NCL does not intend to waive the convenience fee for orders that include a soda, but it's hard to say that "I don't read it that way". The menu is very clear:

" * An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentary beverage or special occasion items. Complimentary continental breakfast and orders that include special occasion and/or non-complimentary beverage items (emphasis mine) are exempt from the $7.95 convenience charge." The asterisk ties back to three section headers on the menu - *Beverages, *Wine Selection, and *Cocktails.

I don't pretend to understand their thinking at arriving at that policy, but they stated it more clearly than almost anything they put in writing.

Unless that policy gets revised, I don't see how it could be interpreted to mean that an order which includes a non-complimentary beverage (soda) is not exempt from the $7.95 convenience fee.

They always have the right to revise the policy of course, and for all I know that may be imminent, but if I were on the ship today and ordered from that menu, I'd expect the policy to be followed.

Edited by old sole

Talking about it is a waste of time because in reality nobody is actually going to sue. in the contract it says they reserve the right to make any changes, back case of me laugh right out of the courtroom or No lawyer would take it.

Talking about it is a waste of time because in reality nobody is actually going to sue. in the contract it says they reserve the right to make any changes, back case of me laugh right out of the courtroom or No lawyer would take it.

The contract may say it, but that does not mean the judge will accept that. They a contract provision can be found invalid for many reasons, such as being against public policy.

Cruising was different and somewhat more elegant in the past, but the majority of new cruisers wanted it "their way". I wear what I want, eat when I want, do what I want when I want. You got your wishes and now look at what you get specialty restaurants with cover charges, charges for room service and the list goes on with the nickel & diming. You should be able to tell that I am a traditionalist and I enjoyed it the old way as it was a unique experience. Nothing against all of you who enjoy it the way it is, so go and have a great time on whatever cruise you are on.

The reason why they don't add huge surprise charges is because it would be big news. Big news would destroy them. Instead they tick, tick, tick quietly so it doesn't inflame the masses. Make no mistake, though they can add more fees at any time. And if they did so this time without grandfathering in people who can't cancel, they will again.

And your contract says you agree to this. So the notion of suing? Who knows if you could recover any damages at all. You have to give away these rights to board the ship (of course, by then you can't back out).

The crazy thing is that NCL hasn't even informed their own customer service of this change. So people are calling and asking about it and the naive customer service people are saying it's still in testing mode. I found out via my TA that the change has, yes, gone fleetwide.

I'm going to try and not let this cloud my upcoming cruise. However, needless to say, I won't be cruising again. Cruise lines have way too much power, and NCL has definitely taken advantage of it.

IIRC, these type of contract or agreement where you give up certain litigation rights, don't hold water in court. There is, however, a big movement and SC case against obligating people to use arbitration boards and let the go through the normal judicial system. Not sure where that stands, though.

Cruising was different and somewhat more elegant in the past, but the majority of new cruisers wanted it "their way". I wear what I want, eat when I want, do what I want when I want. You got your wishes and now look at what you get specialty restaurants with cover charges, charges for room service and the list goes on with the nickel & diming. You should be able to tell that I am a traditionalist and I enjoyed it the old way as it was a unique experience. Nothing against all of you who enjoy it the way it is, so go and have a great time on whatever cruise you are on.

Yeah I would not have enjoyed cruising back then, when I'm on a vacation I don't like to be told when I can and cannot eat lol. plus Norwegian has an amazing late night Club. this will be my third cruise and I'm looking forward to many more in the future with Norwegian, I may try other cruise lines but at this point I'm happy just doing Norwegian.

The contract may say it, but that does not mean the judge will accept that. They a contract provision can be found invalid for many reasons, such as being against public policy.

No judge is going to find that a contract provision that allows them to change pricing at any time is against public policy. Most judges won't even find a contract provision that waives liability for any negligence to be against public policy. It's a valid contract which everyone agrees to when they book a cruise. You don't have to like it, but the judge isn't going to help you get out of it.