Another packing list question?

suamom

here is my must have packing list

camera,

memory (a lot of them) or portable HD to download images

GoPro camcorder or similar

Binoculars (10x42 or 8x42 with waterproof feature)

rain jacket

tourbook

backpack

walking shoes

Jeans are fine.. but hiking pants will be more comfortable

Topless is certainly one way to cut back on your luggage needs !

That eliminates at least 7 tshirts and 2 sweatshirts.

As I was looking through our Alaska photos I realized that I forgot to mention bringing a "pretty" --or not-- scarf --lovely for around the neck on chilly times or over the head; A great wardrobe extender. The only day I wore gloves and a hat was at Glacier Bay.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I ordered 2 day packs as recommended above from Amazon. Getting very excited for this trip!

One more question about clothing....will rain jackets without linings be ok or should we get something w a fleece lining?

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I ordered 2 day packs as recommended above from Amazon. Getting very excited for this trip!

One more question about clothing....will rain jackets without linings be ok or should we get something w a fleece lining?

Thanks again!

Mine has no lining. I just wear a fleece/sweatshirt underneath if it's cold. You don't need to buy a bunch of new stuff, just layer the things you already have.

Mine has no lining. I just wear a fleece/sweatshirt underneath if it's cold. You don't need to buy a bunch of new stuff, just layer the things you already have.

Agreed. Bring a separate fleece. That way you have flexibility. You can wear each item with or without the other, to adjust to the conditions.

Mine has no lining either. If you are buying new ones make sure it's big enough that a fleece or sweater fits under it.

About two years ago I vowed to never read or post on a thread about packing for Alaska ever again. Well, not only have I read this thread I've also posted! So much for those vows.

But I did want to comment that this spring we did a B2B2B series in which the first cruise was from Buenos Aires to Antarctica. One of the passengers on that a leg lives in Texas, and while she is very well traveled she has essentially traveled to warm weather locations. She had no problem, using the concept of layers, to dress adequately for that Antarctica leg, and we had much colder weather on that cruise than folks experience in southeast Alaska. Just think creatively.

• 1 month later...
Several posts above. . . "fancy crocs" -- is there such thing? In my mind this is a oxymoron! Teehee. :D

My DGS would tell you that his fancy crocs have Jibbits that light up. But he's five and you might have something else in mind. :D

Edited by NewSalt