Should perks be equal in value?

ISABELLA

[quote name='TomBeckCruise']I audited bars in the past. Owners are always concerned about their markup, and the possibility of theft. They know what their cost should be.
15-20% is right on target.

Look at it like this: a Quart of booze cost $25. It has 32 oz. So there are 21 drinks in a bottle. If a shot is sold for $6 then the revenue produced is $126.

Most shelf booze cost less than $25/qt and most drinks sell for more than $6.

So the conservative calculation is:

25/126= 19.8 %[/QUOTE]

Or you can add $.05 worth of soda, or some other mix and sell it for $12. Isn't that the going rate now?

[quote name='ISABELLA']This has been bothering me for sometime and I would like to hear you point of view. When Celebrity offers perk like 123, I think they should be same value-
OBC $$ or prepaid gratuity or beverage package. Most people pick drinks over other 2, but I don't drink, so I feel that I am paying indirectly more for my cruise because X had to compensate for the cost of the drinking package.
I don't think it is fair....What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Do you also question the value of a birthday/Christmas gift someone gives you? I think when someone questions a PERK they are just being greedy.

But what this and other complaints do prove is why ships are being moved to places like China.

[quote name='Lynnees']Do you also question the value of a birthday/Christmas gift someone gives you? I think when someone questions a PERK they are just being greedy.

PERKS are not free, it's just the matter how much you are paying for the one you choose.

[quote name='Lynnees']PERKS are an incentive to buy a product. Since you are having so much trouble with the PERKS perhaps you need to rethink your vacation choices.[/QUOTE]

I started this topic to get views on the subject - never thought it will get such a negative reaction and some harsh comments from CC members.
I don't book my cruise based on perks, but cruise price makes the difference. I've rather have lower cruise price.
I do see price increase since 123 is introduced.
I guess my point of view is different.

[quote name='ISABELLA']I started this topic to get views on the subject - never thought it will get such a negative reaction and some harsh comments from CC members.
I don't book my cruise based on perks, but cruise price makes the difference. I've rather have lower cruise price.
I guess my point of view is different.[/QUOTE]

I'll add my point of view later, but in the meantime perhaps you could specify what you would like to see that would make YOU happy. Be specific, use an existing pick your perk offer as an example.

Perhaps then people will understand the point you are making better. :)

[quote name='AmberCascades']Where would I find this information on my cruise documents (about paying for perks - I have enough Kansasian beachfront property)?

If I pay a price I'm happy with, get the cabin I want, and get 1, 2 or 3 extra things thrown in....and then the price only goes up after I've booked....where am I to deduce that this non-freebie is coming from?

And if I'm happy with my cruise fare, do I really care how the cruiseline chooses to slice and dice any profits they are getting?

Or are you just being jaded and cynical? Did someone tinkle on your cornflakes this morning geezer? :D[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is that people aren't seeing those last minute fire sale deals since Celebrity started theses promos. The promos are motivating people to book early hence filling the ship sooner. Which is why it appears that the price is inflated to cover the perks. All I know is that I'm booked in a C2 with all three perks for $1299 pp. for a 7 day cruise. I'm happy with my fare as well especially since the same cruise this year which leaves on Sunday is more money and only one perk.

[quote name='ISABELLA']I started this topic to get views on the subject - never thought it will get such a negative reaction and some harsh comments from CC members.
I guess my point of view is different.[/quote]

Having just read this whole thread I don't find the comments that negative nor harsh. People just have different opinions. I guess because your point of view differs, you might see some as harsh.

I booked my first cruise on Celebrity [B]only[/B] because I heard about the perks (and yes, chose the drinks) and have cruised a second time and booked a third solely because of it.

It is not that we drink that much but prefer the relaxed and vacation mode of not having to think about the bar tab in the end nor sign slips. We would never pay for a drink package but have purchased wine packages on other cruise lines in the past.

I am very happy with the present situation and obviously others are too as the ships are selling very well. Edited by monicajay

[quote name='ISABELLA']...............I don't book my cruise based on perks, but cruise price makes the difference. I've rather have lower cruise price.
I guess my point of view is different.[/quote][SIZE=3]Be assured that you are not alone. There are still many of us who share your point of view and also prefer lower prices to perks, although we are apparently in the minority here.

The problem is that they raise the regular prices to cover the cost of the perks, and the options for lower prices without the perks are not offered consistently.

When they are offered, they are usually only made available for special categories (as I mentioned in a previous post) so not everyone qualifies for them.
Also, some of the lower prices without the perks are much better deals than others.

When we see a lower price for which we qualify, before deciding we evaluate the offer both ways, at the regular price with the perks, and at the discounted price without the perks.

(We only consider what the perks are actually worth to us, not what other people claim the perks are worth to them, or to the cruise line.)

For example, another poster was happy to pay $1299 pp for a C2 with perks on a 7 day cruise, whereas we were happy to pay $1299 pp for a sky suite on a last minute closeout without the perks.

[/SIZE] Edited by varoo

Honestly, if you don't drink, soft drinks specialty coffee or alcohol remove the tips at the end of the cruise,can't find a thing to spend OBC on and drive to port there is no value in any of the perks.

[quote name='varoo'][SIZE=3]Be assured that you are not alone. There are still many of us who share your point of view and also prefer lower prices to perks, although we are apparently in the minority here.

The problem is that they raise the regular prices to cover the cost of the perks, and the options for lower prices without the perks are not offered consistently.

When they are offered, they are usually only made available for special categories (as I mentioned in a previous post) so not everyone qualifies for them.
Also, some of the lower prices without the perks are much better deals than others.

When we see a lower price for which we qualify, before deciding we evaluate the offer both ways, at the regular price with the perks, and at the discounted price without the perks.

(We only consider what the perks are actually worth to us, not what other people claim the perks are worth to them, or to the cruise line.)

For example, another poster was happy to pay $1299 pp for a C2 with perks on a 7 day cruise, whereas we were happy to pay $1299 pp for a sky suite on a last minute closeout without the perks.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Right on, I couldn't have said it better myself.

[quote name='ISABELLA']People who book cruises solely because of the drinking package promo will not understand my point. We just have to agree to disagree.[/quote]
Since the drink packages are relatively new in the history of cruising, I doubt there are any people on these boards who cruise [B]solely[/B] because of the drink package promo.:rolleyes:

As you can see from my signature I'd already taken a dozen cruises before we discover Celebrity and their offer. We enjoyed the lack of signing and thinking about it what it will cost. It seems more of a rest from our daily routine. Obviously, lots of others agree as the promos have been hugely successful.

If it becomes too expense we'll look elsewhere and try other cruise lines again.

You are right, we'll have to agree to disagree.

[quote name='varoo'][SIZE=3]Be assured that you are not alone. There are still many of us who share your point of view and also prefer lower prices to perks, although we are apparently in the minority here.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Agree everyone is different. We would probably stay in the C2 with the drink pkg for financial reasons but if Luminea and the real estate is important to you then you made the right choice:)