Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

Just a little to add to UTs answer - the closest Skytrain entrance you see on a map to the PP is less than a block, but it leads to the wrong line. Canada Line - follow UTs info rather than trying to work your way through the bowels of the station up & down levels.

I'd second bikes - at a leisurely 10mph (there's a very rarely-enforced cycling speed limit of 15kph, just shy of 10mph) you are probably covering double the territory you would on foot even allowing for the extra time finding bike racks, using locks & arranging helmets. On foot, while you could walk the whole seawall back around false creek then up through Chinatown into Gastown and back to the PP in maybe four hours if you're experienced walkers, there are strategic parts to skip where it sounds like you won't miss the bits you are prioritising.

Personally, whether on foot or by bike, I'd hug the seawall from the PP toward the park, travel up Pipeline to the Rose Gardens then follow paths toward the Totem poles. You could easily stay inside the park much longer, check out the Beaver lake, Prospect Point for views across to North & West Van, visit Lost Lagoon etc. etc. etc.! From Totems, cut off the lighthouse corner (Google doesn't accept you can walk out the other side yet, eventually their maps will get fixed but for now ignore the extra loop to the right) stick to Seawall all the way around from there - don't miss our answer to Copenhagen's Little Mermaid, Girl In A Wetsuit - and follow all the way around through the kiddie waterpark complere with walk-through child-dryer, on around the headland and past Siwash rock (look for recent damage to the sandstone - even after extensive engineering big enough storms can still wreak havoc!), on past the beaches and saltwater pool, nice views across English Bay to UBC/Kitsilano/Point Grey.

Leave the park and get on a ferry to Granville Island to save going out of your way to cross bridges, have some food - you'll probably be starving after this much walking, I like Edible Canada for good fancy food or just grab something quick in the Public Market then shop to your heart's content. When you're done on GI get another ferry to the far end of the creek (Athletes Village if you're interested in seeing it, otherwise Plaza of Nations) and head up into Chinatown (Sun Yat Sen is one of the best urban gardens of any type in the world, and the largest.most authentic Chinese Scholars gardens anywhere outside China - the free park next door is in similar style just with modern materials and the same Koi swim around both).

Further north into Gastown (NB: the intersection of Carrall & Hastings is usually packed with downtown eastsiders, but there's no nicer way up that doesn't involve detouring several blocks before heading home - don't engage with anyone, it's busy enough that you won't get chased for money) to see Gassy Jack (map shows as Chill Winston, a pub with large patio on the same square as the statue) & Steam Clock before returning to the PP. Map link here

If you're a couple pay cash fare on ferries ($9pp, $3.50 on the short leg to GI and $5.50 on the long one to the end of the creek); for 3 or more a strip of Aquabucks makes sense ($25 for 20 tix, 2 & 4 needed for the trips respectively). False Creek Ferries charges basically the same as Aquabus - downside of the 'bucks is you can only use them on one ferry company so may have to wait a couple of minutes extra for the right one.

Wow - thank you very much :D

We're staying at LaQuinta Airport but the other couple has a rental car and is picking us up for dinner. So basically that part of town is where we're seeking. One of the other couple has problems when she eats Asian food.

Thankx.

Even with access to a car, driving around an unfamiliar city at night, trying to find sometimes very-specific and awkward-to-access restaurant parking, and someone has to avoid boozing = unnecessary hassles.

Walking distance from you is Earls in the Lansdowne Centre (just across the road & along a block from La Q); just behind that mall is Cactus Club Cafe's No 3 Road branch (15 mins - if you can walk out of the hotel onto Alderbridge you can shave a minute or two off that) for a marginally-pricier but significantly-better-quality meal. Although the menu at Earls is broader and someone who has has problems with a cuisine as wide as 'asian food' might have some dietary issues that need a broad menu...

Some thoughts...

• One cyclist speed trap is Siwash rock. There's often officers on horseback waiting in ambush. Haven't see a full gallop taser take down yet.
  • Do walk your bikes where there is signage around the park.
  • Vancouver has an extensive number of bike lanes for safe riding around the downtown core
  • Vancouver does have a high theft rate for unsecured and secured bikes.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vancouver+bike+theft

Yes to all of these - especially the walk your bike thing. Inconsiderate cyclists is one of my biggest peeves in Stanley Park, especially the idiots who bike through the kiddie play park despite signs and those who race around the corners at Siwash - someone was knocked off the seawall and suffered spinal injuries I think just last summer, so enhanced HoPo presence may be in response to that event; I've only seen one speed trap in four years, more than happy for them to be ramped up in frequency.

As to theft, all the rental places give out good SOLID locks - as long as you use them there will be other softer targets (and rental bikes are never top-of-the-line so other bikes are more likely to be targeted anyway). As long as you can bring back the cut lock to the bike shop their insurance should cover it - if you don't *use* the lock they provide though, you probably have to repay for the loss... and ditto on helmets, they're compulsory which is why rental shops give them to you - don't wear them and odds are nobody will issue you a ticket, but it is something cops occasionally have a little flurry of activity on for easy paperwork points.

We're staying at LaQuinta Airport but the other couple has a rental car and is picking us up for dinner. So basically that part of town is where we're seeking. One of the other couple has problems when she eats Asian food.

Even with access to a car, driving around an unfamiliar city at night, trying to find sometimes very-specific and awkward-to-access restaurant parking, and someone has to avoid boozing = unnecessary hassles.

Walking distance from you is Earls in the Lansdowne Centre (just across the road & along a block from La Q); just behind that mall is Cactus Club Cafe's No 3 Road branch (15 mins - if you can walk out of the hotel onto Alderbridge you can shave a minute or two off that) for a marginally-pricier but significantly-better-quality meal. Although the menu at Earls is broader and someone who has has problems with a cuisine as wide as 'asian food' might have some dietary issues that need a broad menu...

I was going to suggest Earl's and Cactus Club too. Some other thoughts...

Is it true that it is an easy short walk with wheeled luggage from Canada place where we get off the ship to Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel?

Is this a nice hotel?

Thanks

As mentioned by martincath in a previous post, I think you mean the Pinnacle Hotel Vancouver Harbourfront (formerly the Rennaissance). If so, we did an overnight stay there when we were in town to catch the Whitecaps FC home opener. It was very nice and the service was excellent. It will be very convenient for you to get there from Canada Place.

My opinion only - I am not a lover of chain restaurants, especially Earls and Cactus Club. I would recommend hopping on the skytrain to Vancouver where you will find many wonderful restaurants to suit every taste.

My opinion only - I am not a lover of chain restaurants, especially Earls and Cactus Club. I would recommend hopping on the skytrain to Vancouver where you will find many wonderful restaurants to suit every taste.

I agree there's better downtown Lizzie, although I am fond of CCCs food. I'd also recommend exactly what you said if the poster had not specified near their hotel - perhaps ChucktownSteve can persuade their driving friends to leave the car and try Skytraining downtown...?

I agree there's better downtown Lizzie, although I am fond of CCCs food. I'd also recommend exactly what you said if the poster had not specified near their hotel - perhaps ChucktownSteve can persuade their driving friends to leave the car and try Skytraining downtown...?

This is more a meet and greet over dinner pre cruise since they'll be on the ship too. They're coming in a day and a half earlier to be a tourist. We're doing that on the back end. We discussed the downtown area but they are staying there, traveling to our hotel then back downtown to their hotel. So they felt picking us up and driving back downtown would be too much back tracking. Otherwise downtown would definitely have been in the cards. :)

Thankx xlxo & Martincath for your wealth of information and great suggestions! So many restaurants and not enough time. :)
It's too bad one of the party is unable to consume Asian foods. Is it because of soy sauce and MSG?

Your hotel is located at the entrance of Richmond's "Food street". You have a free ticket to the Orient! If you get a chance, you should sneak out and try a little Asian high tea (Dim Sum) one morning.

http://www.tourismrichmond.com/restaurants/food-street/

[YOUTUBE]aL_GtZswHSk[/YOUTUBE]

One restaurant that works hard for English speaking clients is Sun Sui Wah... 9 minute walk from your hotel.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/La+Quinta+Inn+Vancouver+Airport,+Alexandra+Road,+Richmond,+BC/Sun+Sui+Wah+Seafood+Restaurant,+Number+3+Road,+Richmond,+BC/@49.1778792,-123.1364692,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486753aaed16a5f:0x1e18d8cf6040b0ee!2m2!1d-123.127164!2d49.177607!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486752e6e9a75fd:0x99f309d34bac1d9f!2m2!1d-123.13572!2d49.177879!3e2

Edited by xlxo

Just a warning.... it's about a 13 minute walk to the subway station from the hotel. Not the most pleasant way to go when it gets dark.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/La+Quinta+Inn+Vancouver+Airport,+Alexandra+Road,+Richmond,+BC/Lansdowne+Station,+Richmond,+BC/@49.1764547,-123.1365196,16z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486753aaed16a5f:0x1e18d8cf6040b0ee!2m2!1d-123.127164!2d49.177607!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486753269e0e531:0x4bee3f2237fa029b!2m2!1d-123.13637!2d49.174519!3e2!5i1

If you do get a ride to the station.... go to the Brighouse station. I think parking is $2.50 for the park and ride service. One thing I will warn tourists with cars.... Richmond attracts a lot of customers because it offers FREE parking compared to restaurants in downtown Vancouver. Because if it's popularity, parking can get tough.

Earl's is a popular choice for me because the parking lot is a shopping mall. Not an issue in the evening. Otherwise I often visit restaurants at 5pm when they are just opening for the dinner run to get the best parking.

One other suggestion.... is the #9. If you are arriving on a midnight flight and looking for food. The #9 is open in the Lansdowne mall 24hrs. In addition to Chinese, they offer Western choices too.

http://www.richmond9.com/menu_western.html

MartinCath"Inconsiderate cyclists is one of my biggest peeves in Stanley Park" - agree but how about those pedestrians who walk on the dedicated bike path and give you the finger when you tell them to move over.

Never seen a speed trap at Siwash Rock but have seen the Rangers at both Lumberman's Arch and Prospect Point.

Cheers!

Dennis

Me Again!

All of the wonderful information provided here has made me do some more research which has only given me more questions to ask! :)

Re: HOHO Trolley - I suddenly am not seeing anything on their website regarding a 2nd day deal. Is it just not advertised? If we purchase a ticket via my cell phone, will we be able to board showing it on the phone without having a printed copy? (I assume they provide the paper ticket on boarding with proof of prior purchase?). On the same note, I see a 2-day deal that includes Grouse Mountain and Capilano for $119 - if we were to purchase this, any idea if we can add on only the zip-line at Grouse, and if so, how much it would cost? (If no experience here, I can e-mail them directly and inquire).

And in terms of doing both Capilano and Grouse in the same day - is there a recommendation of which to do first? I'm assuming Capilano would be easier logistically as their shuttle is more frequent and leaves directly from our hotel. If we visit Grouse Mountain first, we'd need to get to Canada Place and catch their shuttle. I guess regardless, one way will involve a trip to/from the shuttle at Canada Place.

Thanks again for the fantastic information!

I know this is an odd request, but does the skytrain go from the airport to Vancouver General Hospital?

No, it does not. The nearest stop would be Broadway-City Hall which is about 3 blocks east and 3 blocks north of Vancouver General (VGH is on 12th Ave., Broadway is effectively 9th). Its walkable, but uphill between Broadway and 12th.

I know this is an odd request, but does the skytrain go from the airport to Vancouver General Hospital?

No, it does not. The nearest stop would be Broadway-City Hall which is about 3 blocks east and 3 blocks north of Vancouver General (VGH is on 12th Ave., Broadway is effectively 9th). Its walkable, but uphill between Broadway and 12th.
When the Canada Line was designed, it goes alongside the "medical district" between Cambie and Oak. The close distance makes it popular for workers and visitors. However, if you do need to get to emergency... 9 minute walk...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Broadway-City+Hall+Station,+Vancouver,+BC/Vancouver+General+Hospital,+899+West+12th+Avenue,+Vancouver,+BC+V5Z+1M9/@49.2626985,-123.1231741,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x548673dd7804ebe5:0x737fc354c82ac787!2m2!1d-123.114694!2d49.263139!1m5!1m1!1s0x548673c28db3e7ed:0xf09486e6e83bb967!2m2!1d-123.122406!2d49.262106!3e2

Check here for the latest wait times.

http://www.edwaittimes.ca/WaitTimes.aspx

And in terms of doing both Capilano and Grouse in the same day - is there a recommendation of which to do first? I'm assuming Capilano would be easier logistically as their shuttle is more frequent and leaves directly from our hotel. If we visit Grouse Mountain first, we'd need to get to Canada Place and catch their shuttle. I guess regardless, one way will involve a trip to/from the shuttle at Canada Place.
On the free shuttles... Grouse should be FIRST.

• Board the Grouse Shuttle from Pan Pacific
  • Board the Grouse Shuttle for the return trip, but asked to be dropped off at the Capilano Suspension Bridge. If the driver refuses, take public transit or a cab as it's a 5 minute drive from there. Returning to Vancouver to catch the Capilano shuttle wastes time, especially if the Capilano shuttle is busy and you forces to wait for a few shuttles
  • Return downtown on the Capilano Shuttle. I believe there are optional stops at Stanley Park or Robson street.

I recommend Grouse first as you always board the shuttle from the beginning. Trying to get from Capilano to Grouse can be a challenge when it's busy as I see many shuttle riders unable to board the full bus.

The only time I would do Capilano first is because Grouse has low clouds and you cannot see the summit. Check the Grouse website webcam for the latest images to assess visibility.

Good morning, and Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers!:)

My question is: Carnival is scheduled to arrive in port at 7 a.m. (on a Tuesday), would I have enough time to catch the bus/train to Seattle at 9 a.m., if I did self disembark, took a cab, and have a reservation? or would it be cutting it too close, due to the customs process? Thanks in advance:)

Good morning, and Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers!:)

My question is: Carnival is scheduled to arrive in port at 7 a.m. (on a Tuesday), would I have enough time to catch the bus/train to Seattle at 9 a.m., if I did self disembark, took a cab, and have a reservation? or would it be cutting it too close, due to the customs process? Thanks in advance:)

Don't count on catching the 9AM. The first disembarkation is usually at 7:45. Depending on how many ships , customs and immigration could be a zoo.Personally I wouldn't stress to catch the 9AM train.

Why not use Quick Shuttle to Seattle . They leave at 9AM from the cruise port .

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

On the free shuttles... Grouse should be FIRST.

• Board the Grouse Shuttle from Pan Pacific
  • Board the Grouse Shuttle for the return trip, but asked to be dropped off at the Capilano Suspension Bridge. If the driver refuses, take public transit or a cab as it's a 5 minute drive from there. Returning to Vancouver to catch the Capilano shuttle wastes time, especially if the Capilano shuttle is busy and you forces to wait for a few shuttles
  • Return downtown on the Capilano Shuttle. I believe there are optional stops at Stanley Park or Robson street.

I recommend Grouse first as you always board the shuttle from the beginning. Trying to get from Capilano to Grouse can be a challenge when it's busy as I see many shuttle riders unable to board the full bus.

The only time I would do Capilano first is because Grouse has low clouds and you cannot see the summit. Check the Grouse website webcam for the latest images to assess visibility.

Thanks for the advice. I think you may have mis-read my question though. Going back to Vancouver in between was never a consideration.

My idea was to either take the Grouse shuttle from Canada place (only stop, I believe) in the morning, then take public transit from Grouse to Capilano, then take the Capilano shuttle back to the Hyatt...

OR...

Take the Capilano shuttle from the Hyatt (2nd of 4 pick-up locations) in the morning, then public transit from Capilano to Grouse, then the Grouse shuttle back to Canada Place.

Does that change your advice on which to do first? :) I guess part of it will also be determined by whether we make an advance Zip-Line reservation and need to be at Grouse at a specific time. Thoughts on whether that's necessary? (On a weekday, if that makes a difference).

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I think you may have mis-read my question though. Going back to Vancouver in between was never a consideration.

My idea was to either take the Grouse shuttle from Canada place (only stop, I believe) in the morning, then take public transit from Grouse to Capilano, then take the Capilano shuttle back to the Hyatt...

OR...

Take the Capilano shuttle from the Hyatt (2nd of 4 pick-up locations) in the morning, then public transit from Capilano to Grouse, then the Grouse shuttle back to Canada Place.

Does that change your advice on which to do first? :) I guess part of it will also be determined by whether we make an advance Zip-Line reservation and need to be at Grouse at a specific time. Thoughts on whether that's necessary? (On a weekday, if that makes a difference).

Thanks!

Without your zip line reservation time.... I still think Grouse first to avoid the long wait from the bridge trying to get Northbound.

Again... the Grouse shuttle going back to Vancouver may offer a complimentary stop at the bridge.... if so, you won't need to pay for public transit to get there.

Pay attention to the Lumberjack and Bird show times...

Here's details on the Grouse shuttle...

https://www.grousemountain.com/shuttle

Edited by xlxo

Without your zip line reservation time.... I still think Grouse first to avoid the long wait from the bridge trying to get Northbound.

Again... the Grouse shuttle going back to Vancouver may offer a complimentary stop at the bridge.... if so, you won't need to pay for public transit to get there.

Pay attention to the Lumberjack and Bird show times...

Here's details on the Grouse shuttle...

https://www.grousemountain.com/shuttle

Thank you! That makes perfect sense - and if the Grouse shuttle won't do a drop-off, you're right that we'd be the first onto the city bus as well! I hadn't considered that part. And this way we'll be able to reserve the zip-line and hopefully do the Grouse activities before the sun gets very hot, and be in the sheltered Capilano area when it gets warmer and sunnier in the afternoon! (And be dropped directly back at our hotel when we're tired and in major need of a rest after all of that!).

What is a good taxi company in Vancouver? All of the top four seem to have terrible reviews. I need a reliable one since I have to get somewhere early in the morning. Thanks in advance for the info.