"Regular" non-suite person on Summit - what will be off limits?

gotgames2play

For me, it's not so much what 'extras' the suite passengers get. It would make no more sense to be envious of that, given the extra price they pay, than it would to envy passengers that are dining in the specialty restaurants or having a massage at the spa because they paid extra for those kinds of things.

What I wonder about, as a veranda cruiser, is if in order to make the cuisine and service at Luminaire (sp)? a higher standard, Celebrity 'dumbs down' the food and service in the MDR.

For me, it's not so much what 'extras' the suite passengers get. It would make no more sense to be envious of that, given the extra price they pay, than it would to envy passengers that are dining in the specialty restaurants or having a massage at the spa because they paid extra for those kinds of things.

What I wonder about, as a veranda cruiser, is if in order to make the cuisine and service at Luminaire (sp)? a higher standard, Celebrity 'dumbs down' the food and service in the MDR.

Rather than cutting back on MDR to pay for Luminaire, I think it's mroe that they have to have Luminaire because they have cut back at MDR. Almost universally, people will tell you the quality of food on cruise ships has declined in the last 15 years. On my first cruise, a dinky little 3 day Nassau run on Carnival where 2/3 of the boat is drunk the whole time, I was served Beef Wellington (with pate and duxelles as opposed to the mushroom soup the last beef wellington I had on a ship was coated with). Last cruise I was on you couldn't even order a filet mignon unless you paid extra for it (RCCL).

I think they (across the board) have cut back the quality such that now there is a need to offer something a bit nicer for those who are willing to pay more. That's not a knock on those who don't choose to pay more, or those who are happy with what's offered, but I suspect that there is a valuable segment of the market that the cruse lines are desperate to win over or win back.

Rather than cutting back on MDR to pay for Luminaire, I think it's mroe that they have to have Luminaire because they have cut back at MDR. Almost universally, people will tell you the quality of food on cruise ships has declined in the last 15 years. On my first cruise, a dinky little 3 day Nassau run on Carnival where 2/3 of the boat is drunk the whole time, I was served Beef Wellington (with pate and duxelles as opposed to the mushroom soup the last beef wellington I had on a ship was coated with). Last cruise I was on you couldn't even order a filet mignon unless you paid extra for it (RCCL).

I think they (across the board) have cut back the quality such that now there is a need to offer something a bit nicer for those who are willing to pay more. That's not a knock on those who don't choose to pay more, or those who are happy with what's offered, but I suspect that there is a valuable segment of the market that the cruse lines are desperate to win over or win back.

Generally food has gone down a bit but speaking of "dinky" little trips...

My wife and I did a 3 day "tour" on a now long retired ship of Carnival's in the early 90's and the food was horrendous. That's when you had to wear a tux for one night and the rest was at least a tie. 8 of us (all strangers the first night but well acquainted shortly thereafter) where shoved into one of those semi-circle tables with the huge bench sort of affair - lord don't let anyone sit on the aisle with a real chair or you might get trampled by the staff! - and our waiter would hand us huge oversized menus that were at least 3 feet tall to look at.

He would disappear for at least 20 minutes during which time the drink guy (or gal) would appear, take drinks and return with something, never what you ordered, but still it was cool with a single sliver of ice and booze in it. You would gratefully take it and try to manage with either your hand or your neighbors (since yours may be encased between the 2 of you) to ward off the odors coming from somewhere by downing it and hoping for a refill of whatever it was.

Finally the waiter would appear, ever ready to take your order... which sadly he would state they were out of that evening but the "chikin" was available.

Each person got the same sad response and each night we were delivered the same sad "chikin"...

So yes in some ways the food has improved!

This post is hiliarious! Some of you have a great sense of humour :) lol I am a first time cruiser but am used to regularly going to all inclusive resorts 2-3 times a year. I have noticed the same in the last few years. They are all starting to push the upgraded "premium" levels at the resorts which sometimes you pay dearly for. It seems to be the "thing" lately. In many cases, there is not a big advantage to paying the much higher price - but to each his own - and some people do like being "away" in a separate, private area from the masses. I personally am just the opposite - I tend to like being around the more noisy, active, "lower class" (lol) people. We visited a much higher end section of a resort one year, and we found it way too quiet and without much activity. I will say that sometimes the shorter line ups would be nice though. Like someone else commented, I could probably afford the higher priced suites, etc...but I travel quite a few times a year and like to get the best bang for my buck :) Once in a while, it's nice to get the premium at a great deal but IMO it's not worth it unless it's a really great deal. But to each his own, of course.

We will be sailing to Bermuda on the Summit this summer - what areas / restaurants will be off limits for us?

Thanks!

Dawna

When you check in, the terminal has a suite lounge that is only available to suite guest. While many of these perks many not be worth it to many, the extra cabin space is great

Edited by Cruise a holic

I thought the MDR food on our November 2015 TA late dinner seating was really improved from the prior few years. And once we changed tables, (2-top), the service was great. We're booked next on B2B Med and TA in October for our 40th anniversary, and I'm just wondering (hopefully needlessly) that the MDR has gone downhill again.

• 1 month later...