Quick question on Norwegian and Passports

Kenlorz

I'm checking in online right now for my upcoming May cruise out of NYC on the Breakaway. I'm about to hit "confirm" and finalize my check in process, but I noticed one thing that I want to double check on...

My mother thought she would be clever and instead of giving me a middle name, she hyphenated my first name to be "Lori-Jeanne". Since that is what my birth certificate says, that is what my passport and my driver's license says. However (since I NEVER use my full hyphenated name), Norwegian has the guest name listed simply as "Lori". My TA is out of the office until late next week, so I can't contact her until then. So, I'm reaching out to the good folks at CC...

1. Is the shortened first name on Norwegian's passenger manifest a problem? Do I need to have that corrected to my hyphenated first name?

2. If I need to have that corrected, can I still proceed with hitting the "confirm" button on NCL and have my TA correct the name next week?

3. Does my TA need to correct the name or can I? The name is the ONLY thing I cannot edit on the NCL check-in page, so I don't know where or how I can do it.

Thanks! I knew on a Saturday morning you good folks would be the only ones with the answers :cool:

I'm checking in online right now for my upcoming May cruise out of NYC on the Breakaway. I'm about to hit "confirm" and finalize my check in process, but I noticed one thing that I want to double check on...

My mother thought she would be clever and instead of giving me a middle name, she hyphenated my first name to be "Lori-Jeanne". Since that is what my birth certificate says, that is what my passport and my driver's license says. However (since I NEVER use my full hyphenated name), Norwegian has the guest name listed simply as "Lori". My TA is out of the office until late next week, so I can't contact her until then. So, I'm reaching out to the good folks at CC...

1. Is the shortened first name on Norwegian's passenger manifest a problem? Do I need to have that corrected to my hyphenated first name?

2. If I need to have that corrected, can I still proceed with hitting the "confirm" button on NCL and have my TA correct the name next week?

3. Does my TA need to correct the name or can I? The name is the ONLY thing I cannot edit on the NCL check-in page, so I don't know where or how I can do it.

Thanks! I knew on a Saturday morning you good folks would be the only ones with the answers :cool:

Greetings

This is an area where they have started getting much stricter as of late. The name on the manifest needs to agree with your travel documentation. I have a similar problem as my last name is 2 words on my passport but almost everywhere else it is run together into one word. I called NCL directly and got them to change my info for my upcoming cruise, the site wouldn't let me edit that section either.

Good Sailing

Tom

SWMBO's name is in two parts, but the PCC left out the second part.

Could not fix online, but a quick call to NCL and they fixed it.

I'm a 'Jr' on my passport, they just added to the back of my last name as one word.

It's understood that multiple middle names, hyphenated names and suffixes don't always fit in the "system"; just try to have as much as possible in the name field and hope for an experienced agent at the counter.

Thanks everyone for the feedback :)

You are correct that they don't do hyphens so it was necessary to list it as a first and middle. You were also correct that it was "easy-peasy". A two-second phone call updated the whole thing instantly and even my screen changed right before my eyes with the updated names as I was speaking to the rep on the phone. Documents are printed and in hand! Thanks as always... CC ROCKS :cool::D

Even though the OP have sorted out the problem, I just wanted to mention that I have a middle name myself. When I log in to MyNCL, my name comes up on the left hand side - only first name and last name (no middle name). Same on all my cruise confirmations, e-docs, etc. it always shows only first and last name, and not my middle name...

But somewhere in the NCL system they must have also my middle name registered on file - because my middle name is always "included" when I get my onboard keycard.

It is the same for my husband (he has three middle names...), and in all pre-cruise information his name is listed without any middle names. But on his on board key cards, all names are listed (or as many as there are room for on the card).

Edited by TrumpyNor

And then there is this issue! DH does not use his first name, rather T. Elvis Smith. Well, NCL uses Toothy Smith. Passport has Toothy Elvis Smith. Airline runs first and second together like TElvis. TSA goes quite mad!!:D:D:D

My legal last name is hyphenated maiden-married, and I was surprised that the hyphen IS on my docs for our first NCL cruise...The hyphen never works with other cruise lines. My DD is crew, and she did the booking onboard for us, so I'm ot sure if that has anything to do with it. I never use the extra name except for travel and filing taxes. LOL

Does your ship registration have to show your middle name if it is on the passport?

Sleepy

My Kid's middle name never showed up on NCL's eDocs or key card, but it is spelled out in full on his passport. Part of my phone call to NCL was to make sure that his middle name was "in the system".

I think the full "matching" name is required on the passenger manifest when its sent to Homeland Security prior to sail away.