Day pass at hotel in Nassau/tripadvisor had nothing recent

6 of us

I used to hear great things about a day pass at the British Columbia Hilton or the Sheraton on Nassau. I checked tripadvisor to see how they are & there are no reviews after 2013 that I can find. Can I get some CC peeps opinions please, are these still good places to go & can I get a day pass ahead of time? :D.

We used to do Junkanoo beach but it's gotten dirty ( I was there last December) & I wanted to skip the taxi's to paradise island. I like walking :D.

Thanks so much guys! As always, you all save me $$ & time & I appreciate your info!

We were at the Melia (formerly Sheraton) on Cable Beach last year and enjoyed it as much as ever. Great pools and big beach area. We just went to the desk for a day pass.

We like the BCH, but it has a small pool and smallish beach area by comparison. Check websites fro photos.

Can you walk to Melia?

Melia is located 5 miles west of port. It's not an easy walk. Traffic along Bay Street is crazy, and you have to pass the Bahamar construction site as well. Cab is $5 pp. Jitney is $1.25pp

Thanks. Do you think there is any problem waiting till day of to get day pass.. I know there are 3 other cruise ships there when me get there.

It may depend on when you get there and how popular it has become. We did it when it was the Sheraton before the renovations and changeover to Melia. There was nobody there in early April. We had the beach and the pool mostly to ourselves (with about 5 other couples) from 9:30 until lunch. Our ship left after lunch, so we had to leave somewhat early. We had zero problems getting the pass at the desk.

Hey scubagirrl...Can you tell me if any of the resorts have cabanas/ palapas on or near the beach.

Atlantis has cabanas, in the true sense, with chaise, fridge, service etc. They can be pricey.. from $200 - 1000 a day depending where they are located and the season. They need to be reserved in advance.

British colonial has day beds, round loungers, raised beds and palapas.

Melia has a few palapas. These are all free and first come first served.

Breezes has a few cabana, but I don't know what type or if they have any amenities. ( I don't think so).

My sister did the BCH last week and loved it. She said it was about a 10 minute walk from the ship. The pictures she sent me were great, but I have not compared it to the Melia. She booked hers in advance to a site found on these board, I don't remember the name right now. Paid $30.00 deposit and then the rest at the hotel. It was $60.00 per adult and $30.00 child. The adult included $40.00 food/beverage credit and child was $15.00-$20.00 food credit (can't remember). She said they did not even use all of their credit. It did not look crowded at all, but this was late April.

I am debating the BCH or the Compass Point-for me it's all about being in the water, either ocean, bay or pool that is not a people soup pool like on the ship.

Sad to see that the Wyndam has closed, all that area is being bought up by the Chinese-soon it wont be the Bahamas. We were told by the our Jitney driver that the deal was that all of Cable beach is being built up by one company, and that the Bahamians got new roads and the promise of jobs. But it is sad to see the old places being replaced by high rises.

• 3 weeks later...

Junkanoo is great, have been going there every time we are in Nassau. We always sit at Jyah, he does a great job of cleaning up his beach area. Bathrooms there are always clean. We used to go to Sheraton but now see no reason to pay the crazy price the resorts want when Junkanoo is just fine, we can walk there, and there are plenty of vendors to buy food/drink.

Barry is a great guy, very friendly. Water is calm and very clear. So w quit going out to Cable. No reason to spend the $$ the resorts want. it is a total rip-off when all you get is a beach chair.

We went BCH last September, very short walk from the ship, we loved it! Planning to go again next February. I bought day passes ahead of time and we received drink vouchers at the hotel.

Can you give me an idea of the average drink price and what type of food they have on the menu at BCH?

We each had a $40 voucher for food and drinks for the day, drink special was buy 1 get 1, we had burgers for lunch and quite a few drinks, and they gave us 1 for the walk back to ship! I don't think we spent any $$ other than a tip to the bartender when we left. I'm not sure if that was normal, the day was overcast, so they weren't very busy.. but it was great!!:D

We decided to go there in August. My 5 year old will be free, so the cost for my husband, me, and 2 kids will be $150 and we get $95 in food/drink vouchers. I reserved through Island Marketing. I think it will be worth it to have use of their facilities, pools, nice chairs, etc. Plus being able to walk there is a big plus with the kids.

Junkanoo is great, have been going there every time we are in Nassau. We always sit at Jyah, he does a great job of cleaning up his beach area. Bathrooms there are always clean. We used to go to Sheraton but now see no reason to pay the crazy price the resorts want when Junkanoo is just fine, we can walk there, and there are plenty of vendors to buy food/drink.

Barry is a great guy, very friendly. Water is calm and very clear. So w quit going out to Cable. No reason to spend the $$ the resorts want. it is a total rip-off when all you get is a beach chair.

We have been to Junkanoo a few times and never know where to rent chairs and get a cool drink. Coming from the ship were is Jyah's?