Opinions on this excursion to Machu Picchu?

petlover

There is a 2 night excursion offered to Machu Picchu (includes Cuzco) and the Hiram Bingham Orient Express. (don't know hotel yet). Would you recommend this?

If we don't take this excursion than we overnight in Callao and visit Lima. From what I've been reading, Lima doesn't sound appealing at all unless you're into museums (which we are not). I appreciate opinions or suggestions as we've never been to South America before. Thanks!

There is a 2 night excursion offered to Machu Picchu (includes Cuzco) and the Hiram Bingham Orient Express. (don't know hotel yet). Would you recommend this?

If we don't take this excursion than we overnight in Callao and visit Lima. From what I've been reading, Lima doesn't sound appealing at all unless you're into museums (which we are not). I appreciate opinions or suggestions as we've never been to South America before. Thanks!

Did Machu Picchu 2 years ago off the NCL Crown. Very Hectic, non stop, but worth every moment. It is a must if you are going down that way. Doing the Celebrity Mellenium holiday cruise down that way and will be going to the Nazca lines for the day. Nazca lines is an other consideration. If you don't want to do MP. Also Cuzco is between 11,000 and 13,500 feet above ground. PM is down to 8,000 feet. If you don't do good at high altitudes. Then you migh want to reconsider, out of 109 people who went on the trip from the young to the very old, only 1 middle aged Japanese man was ill for a time.

They give you lots of green tea which help and if you need the hotels have oxygen in the lobby's

al

I definitely have an opinion about the cruise excursions. WAY over priced. Hiram Bingham train-not worth the extra money. The first class train, out of Cusco, not out of Ollay, is a lot more fun.

I travel to Chile and Peru 4 times per year on business. Go to Cusco/MP 3 out of 4 times usually. The excursions from the cruiselines run about $1500.00pp. The trip booked yourself is about $800.00.

That said, unless you fly into Cusco pre or post cruise, there is no way to do it independently in the middle of a cruise. Cannot make the plane connections work.

Altitude sickness is a real possibility. Not all hotels have oxygen. And you sure won't have oxygen wandering around Cusco or on the train.

And the green tea they give you is NOT "green tea". It is coca tea, made from the leaves of the plant that they use to make cocaine. Coca tea has the same effects as snorting cocaine-constricts blood vessels so you dont need as much oxygen in the blood. I drink it the minute I get off the plane in Cusco and also carry it around in a water bottle. I have had a mild case of AMS (Acute mountain syndrome) and don't want a repeat.

If you have the time, plan on a pre-cruise trip. I am in the logisitics business and if I can help, feel free to email. greatam@earthlink.net

We are going to Cusco after our cruise at the end of January. We will be having two nights there - hoping to acclimatise - then we catch the train to Machu Picchu where will spend the night and then we return to Cusco for another night. We will be using the Vista dome train not the Bingham express.

We are using the Orient Express Hotels and are looking forward to the whole experience.

I certainly wouldn't rush in and out of this special area. Also I would be very wary of altitude sickness. We travelled in Switzerland on the Jungfraujoch railway which goes to 3545 metres which is around 10,500ft. I was fine but my DH felt funny at that height and had to take it easy for awhile. It would be such a waste if you couldn't enjoy the experience due to not feeling well.

Jennie

We have just recently returned from Machu Picchu and Galapagos and also did the Orient Express Hotels. We went on the Vistadome and it was fine.

For $25.00 a night you can get oxygen pumped into your room at the Monasterio. This gives you a comfortable nights sleep. MP was no problem for altitude sickness but Cuzco can be tiring .

When we went to Cotopaxi we did feel the altitude but then it was 15,000 ft. But we werent there too long.

We had a great trip and enjoyed the sights and the hotels. Went for dinner at the MAP restaurant which is in the museum in the same square as the Monasterio. Was very nice and reasonable too. Sanctuary meals are excellent.

Take a private guide in Mapi - costs only $30.00 but one can move around at ones own pace instead of in a herd.

Emdee,

Thanks for posting regarding your experiences at the Orient Hotels both in Cusco and Machu Picchu.

We will certainly try the Map restaurant in Cusco. Do you know of any other restaurants of interest in the area that we might find reasonable and good. We will be spending 3 nights in Cusco altogether.

After our time in Cusco we are flying to Quito and then doing the Galapagos Islands for 5 days. Any hints that you can pass on regarding the islands would be gratefully received.

Jennie

Archived