Venice overnight-first or second night for speciality restaurant?

ingy79

We are on a 12 night cruise out of Venice. Unusually we have an overnight in Venice before we depart. We had intended to avoid the first night chaos of the MDR and book a speciality restaurant but I am now wondering if it would make more sense to do this on the second night which is actually the night we depart the port? I have read that some people go into Venice for dinner on the night at port so wonder whether the MDR may be ok that night but worse the following night. Has anyone had experience of this?

Many thanks:)

I think it would be just lovely to go into Venice for dinner the first night. How many times do you get the opportunity to eat in Venice? We enjoyed Ai Barbacani but it was difficult to find. Might not be hard to find with todays technology.

Why wouldn't you eat ashore in Venice? I cannot imagine being able to dine in Venice and opting to stay on the ship but that is just me. There will be lots of chances for a nice HAL dinner but Venice??? Each to their own but Wow!

Edited by sail7seas

My dream cruise would be one where ports were close enough to each other that the ship could leave every evening at 10 or 11. We'd eat dinner every night in port. One of our reasons for cruising is to experience the ports and all they have to offer, including their food.

Why wouldn't you eat ashore in Venice?
Many if not most have arrived before embarkation day and have already eaten one or two expensive dinners and lunches ashore.

Edited by jtl513

Many if not most have arrived before embarkation day and have already eaten one or two expensive dinners and lunches ashore.

... and DW's feet and legs couldn't take any more walking.

Having done four land trips as well as cruises to Venice, I understand about having had other meals ashore but speaking only for myself and my DH, we never got 'enough' of wonderful Venetian food. Just our personal choice. We loved, loved, loved our visits to Venice.

I certainly know not everyone could continue walking miles that one finds themselves walking in Venice. We sometimes would either go back to hotel/ship to rest and go back out or would stop for an early dinner before returning to the ship.

No need for anyone to explain themselves. We all do what suits us. Having dinner in MDR when in Venice simply did not suit us. :shrug:

Edited by sail7seas

My dream cruise would be one where ports were close enough to each other that the ship could leave every evening at 10 or 11. We'd eat dinner every night in port. One of our reasons for cruising is to experience the ports and all they have to offer' date=' including their food.[/quote']

We would have loved that. :)

We too have had several double nights in Venice .. in fact on one btb we were there for three nights ... it is such a friendly country and Venice has some of the most superb restaurants ... not the ones that are famous, but the ones that are a few 'canals' off the beaten path .. they are always wanting to please and the food is always the best.

Please consider that idea for the first night ... you won't be sorry .. just head out and walk the canals till you find a restaurant whose menu (posted outside for your review) spikes your interest.

harry

• Thanks 1

My dream cruise would be one where ports were close enough to each other that the ship could leave every evening at 10 or 11. We'd eat dinner every night in port. One of our reasons for cruising is to experience the ports and all they have to offer' date=' including their food.[/quote']

Azamara

If you happen to enjoy calves liver (and I know not everyone does) but we had liver in Venice the likes of which we never had before or after. I can hardly even find it in any meat market these days but those Venetians sure know how to cook it. :)

We spend a lot of our vacation time in Venice so know it well (last trip was a 3week stay just in Venice this past Feb). For a wonderful meal, find Rosa Rossa - fab Venetian food and great service. Absolutely worth getting off the ship to eat here.

If you do not sail that evening so don't need to rush back to the ship, go to San Marco after dinner and listen to the bands (no need to pay a lot to sit as you can stand and move from band to band when they take turns playing). And don't be shy about dancing in San Marco - the music just makes your feet want to go! Once someone starts lots join in as many are there wishing to dance but feel shy. If someone starts they will join in. You can hear the bands during the day, but it is extra special on a warm summer eve. It is a magical thing unique to Venice. So please consider dinner then a romantic evening stroll in San Marco!!!

Why wouldn't you eat ashore in Venice? I cannot imagine being able to dine in Venice and opting to stay on the ship but that is just me. There will be lots of chances for a nice HAL dinner but Venice??? Each to their own but Wow!

I agree with you Sails!! We always enjoy eating at our little restaurant as we call it over off of St.Marks Square. We found it back on our first cruise on the Wind Star and always go there the last 3 times! We will be there next summer and go again!

I love our speciality restraunts but in Venice when we have the chance we will eat ashore. If it is their first time to Venice I can understand that your not familiar and that might be why you want to stay on board.

Any way enjoy your wonderful Cruise!

Nieuw Amsterdam is wonderful and we've done 2 Med cruises on her! Our next cruise is on The EURODAM next summer doing a 12 day Venice to Barcelona.

Denise😄

I think that from the responses you can figure out that the MDR will not be overcrowded on the first night because everyone will be out in Venice.

I also think it is amusing that you did not ask "should we dine out in Venice?" but most of the responses were about Venice (and what to order).

We were on X and heard that the first night was open seating only and not too crowded.

Hi again and thank you for your responses. As it happens, we are staying a few nights in Venice, in an apartment close to St Mark's Square, so will have eaten in Venice for a few nights already. Also, my parents are arriving on the day of check in and we will be meeting on the ship so I don't think that they would have the energy or inclination to go back into Venice for dinner but they may surprise me. I was more concerned about avoiding that first night crush in the MDR which I find quite unsettling (I know that's mad). It would appear, however, that that first night crush is more likely on the second night on this particular cruise so I may play the first night by ear and book the speciality restaurant for the second night.

Thanks again for all the responses!!

This is not a special restaurant in terms of price, but the pasta is fantastic, in fact it is really kind of a hole in the wall where you cannot eat inside as it isn't licensed as a restaurant. Check out trip advisor for "Alfredo Venice Italy and read the reviews. The pasta was fresh made and delicious. It was hard to find so if interested, ask and I'll post directions.

Having done four land trips as well as cruises to Venice, I understand about having had other meals ashore but speaking only for myself and my DH, we never got 'enough' of wonderful Venetian food. Just our personal choice. We loved, loved, loved our visits to Venice.

I certainly know not everyone could continue walking miles that one finds themselves walking in Venice. We sometimes would either go back to hotel/ship to rest and go back out or would stop for an early dinner before returning to the ship.

No need for anyone to explain themselves. We all do what suits us. Having dinner in MDR when in Venice simply did not suit us. :shrug:

Hey Sail....I'll have 3 days and nights in Venice in Sept....any suggestions??

Tanya

We spend a lot of our vacation time in Venice so know it well (last trip was a 3week stay just in Venice this past Feb). For a wonderful meal, find Rosa Rossa - fab Venetian food and great service. Absolutely worth getting off the ship to eat here.

If you do not sail that evening so don't need to rush back to the ship, go to San Marco after dinner and listen to the bands (no need to pay a lot to sit as you can stand and move from band to band when they take turns playing). And don't be shy about dancing in San Marco - the music just makes your feet want to go! Once someone starts lots join in as many are there wishing to dance but feel shy. If someone starts they will join in. You can hear the bands during the day, but it is extra special on a warm summer eve. It is a magical thing unique to Venice. So please consider dinner then a romantic evening stroll in San Marco!!!

I will check this out....thanks for the info!

Tanya