Celebrity's "Shuttle to Rome" excursion

Mel&Ken

I am curious to find someone who has taken this excursion. According to the website it leaves at 8:30 am, gives you 5 hours to explore Rome on your own yet the total time is listed as 9 hours long.

So are they factoring 2 hours there and 2 back? This will be our 6th time in Rome so we're really just looking for the ride there/back. We're comfortable navigating the trains but we have also hit strikes before and for $60 each I am happy to not risk it. Having said that, it seems overly cautious as we're in port for 12 hours.

If anyone can confirm this I would appreciate it. Otherwise I may pay more for Rome Cabs to just drive us. Time in the city is worth extra to us.

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

I'm guessing they are factoring in actual drive-time to Rome from Civitavecchia plus time to walk from wherever the bus drops you to the official "meet point" so you know where to return (depending on where they off-load you, it could be closer to 90 minutes than 60).

Who knows, they may also route you through a rest stop/souvenir shop one or both ways.

This is why I'm not a fan of these shuttles. With good planning and an early start, I've proven you can get more time "in city" by doing it on your own via the train, at least for Rome and Florence.

Two hours to Rome and another two back sounds like a very long time. My thoughts were also that there may be an unwanted visit to some sort of shop involved.

Last year the journey from Rome to Civitavecchia with Civitavecchia Cab Service took us around 75 mins

We are on a b2b in Aug - Sept. on Celebrity this year 2015. We end the first leg in Rome...docking @ 5:00AM and taking off for the next leg at 5:00PM.

We also want to go Rome and spend a few hours there. We've been there before, so we don't need to sight see per se...

I called Celebrity today and asked if they had a shuttle to go back and forth. They said "not yet" then connected me with the Shore Excursion desk. She didn't have it on the books yet either, but said it may be based on demand and would be set up by the ship's excursion desk.

ANyone know the cost of a cab back and forth??

I hate not knowing what I'm doing in advance. I like to plan Any advice?

Please email me at eileensimmons@comcast.net

I'm not sure I'd be able to find this page again!

Sadly, my CC roll call is very quiet, so I'm not sure if anyone would respond.