Vatican with a "scooter"?

I posted this on the Ports of Call board, but someone suggested I post here.

"We will be in Rome as one of our ports of call and of course, we want to see the Vatican. I was there, but it has been about 40 years ago! One of our party uses a motorized scooter because he can't walk for long distances. How easy (or difficult) is it to get around?"

Also, my husband has low vision and will be taking his cane, but I think we will do OK. I just was not sure about the scooter. As I remember, the main plaza is cobblestone but I don't remember if there is any "smooth" pavement around. :) Any information would be appreciated.

My husband is a paraplegic in a manual wheelchair.

When we arrived we were whisked to a special desk past the kilometre long line and given free entry for both of us and a guide took us all over the Vatican and through a back way to enter the Sistine Chapel. There really wasn't anywhere we didn't go. It was amazing.

Free entry to the Colosseum also and taken to front of line and whisked through to the lift.

When we arrived we were whisked to a special desk past the kilometre long line and given free entry for both of us and a guide took us all over the Vatican and through a back way to enter the Sistine Chapel. There really wasn't anywhere we didn't go. It was amazing.

Free entry to the Colosseum also and taken to front of line and whisked through to the lift.

Did you see any mobility scooters? I am unable to use a manual wheelchair due to shoulder pain, and my hubby only has one arm, so he isn't able to push me in a wheelchair.

That is wonderful! But we are also traveling with 2 more (total of 6 of us) that have no health issues and I wouldn't want to leave them. Hoping we can all go together.

Did you see any mobility scooters? I am unable to use a manual wheelchair due to shoulder pain, and my hubby only has one arm, so he isn't able to push me in a wheelchair.

Looking for the same type of info. :)

Yes, scooters are welcome and yes they attempt to keep a group together. However, I believe only the HC person and “helper” are free of charge, thus you may have to wait until your other companions purchase their tickets.

If you look up the Vatican on the internet, they still may sell tickets on line. If so, that would eliminate the ticket line for those that have to purchase one.

The last time we were there, they were doing some restorations and we had sort of a strange route getting into St. Peter's Basilica.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Yes, scooters are welcome and yes they attempt to keep a group together. However, I believe only the HC person and “helper” are free of charge, thus you may have to wait until your other companions purchase their tickets.

If you look up the Vatican on the internet, they still may sell tickets on line. If so, that would eliminate the ticket line for those that have to purchase one.

The last time we were there, they were doing some restorations and we had sort of a strange route getting into St. Peter's Basilica.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Thank you for the information! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

We were in the Vatican Museum in July of last year. At that time there was no way for a person in a mobility scooter to get from the museum to St. Peters without going out and around an entering from St. Peters Square. along the right side you'll find a ramp that takes you to an area that has an elevator that will allow you to get to the entrance of the basilica. There is a small lift that takes you from the museum to enter the Sistine Chapel. But from the Sistine Chapel to St. Peters are stairs.

The Vatican, the museum, the Sistine Chapel and gardens are all quite accessible however some it you will be going backwards against the traffic flow. By the way entrance fees are waived for the disabled and their companion; it's a good idea to have some form of government issued disability card, even your car parking pass to show them....but if you forget as we did they do exercise discretion.

• 1 month later...

We will be in Rome on a HA cruise on Sept. 8. What kind of a tour did you do that was able to take your wheelchair? All that I have seen are private and cost a fortune. DH has a mobility scooter and will be using it for the first time. So we are novices to all of this. Thanks

If you go to the roll call for your cruise here on cruise critic you may find a couple or group who need to add someone to a private tour. We used http://www.romeinlimo.com for our tour and for the five of us the cost was actually less than what we would have paid for a ship's tour. There was no problem transporting my small collapsible (travelscoot brand) scooter. If you have a large scooter you will need an accessible vehicle.

Thanks for your advice. I have been on that site but didn't think to ask about sharing. There really aren't many people on this site. This will be first time using scooter and just hoping it will all work out for us. Thanks again

Nan

We will be in Rome on a HA cruise on Sept. 8. What kind of a tour did you do that was able to take your wheelchair? All that I have seen are private and cost a fortune. DH has a mobility scooter and will be using it for the first time. So we are novices to all of this. Thanks

Last year was our third time in four years to be in Rome. The last 2 I have been using a scooter. In 2013 we were on a land tour but last year we just let Princess provide the transportation into Rome then we just cruised around. While the transportation from Princess provided 9 hours, 3 hours was the actual time between the port and Rome. While we didn't use the HOHO bus system that is a possibility for someone who hasn't been to Rome. All the sites are W/C assessable

maybe a little bumpy over the cobblestone but doable.