lol Carnival

keith75

really am sick of you entitled people who like to put others down....you know, those of us who cruise when we can get the time and the airfare because we don't live within thousands of miles of a cruise port...karma will getcha...meanwhile...back to planning my next 4 night cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I may add to your post just a little - that with airfare, one night ground accomodations and ground transportation will cost you anywhere from $900 - $2000 PP, compared to local port residents jumping in their car with 48 hour notice and small suitcase at $99 PP for the same exact 4 day cruise.

I should tie this into loyalty. So I guess Makeda is the more loyal customer if she books it and should receive loyalty points, while the local port residents sailing at deep discounts should get NO points accrued.

Edited by eponym

If I may add to your post just a little - that with airfare, one night ground accomodations and ground transportation will cost you anywhere from $900 - $2000 PP, compared to local port residents jumping in their car with 48 hour notice and small suitcase at $99 PP for the same exact 4 day cruise.

I should tie this into loyalty. So I guess Makeda is the more loyal customer if she books it and should receive loyalty points, while the local port residents sailing at deep discounts should get NO points accrued.

So you are saying the person who drove or fly cross country to get to your ship is much more loyal to you than the guy 5 blocks from the port who just happened to see a cheap, last minute fare? :eek:

Sadly, yes.

On Royal Caribbean, this is not the case. You get double the cruise points if you stay in a suite, or you cruise solo. On NCL, you get double the points for getting a suite or Haven stateroom, as well as if you book 9 months or further in advance. The statuses are also more reasonable. Do I like the rewards programs on other lines? Certainly. Do I want to put myself in those loyalty programs? Definitly. Will I stop cruising Carnival? No!

I understand the frustration of many, I feel like a middle child! Not good enough for the nice perm's, but I don't need to be lured back to another cruise, so I get no attention. But I'm totally with you, if you get an interior gaurentee on a few 2 and 3 night cruises from long beach, and I get aft balconies on two 7 night cruises and a 4-5 night cruise, we should not be on the same level.

Yep

Hate to tell you but I cruised more last yr the you have done in your life

May be true......but I also went to Vegas twice and Sandals Whitehouse last year, and im going back to Sandals this July before my cruise on Valor in October. But when I retire I'm sure I will catch you.

Edited by keith75

I really don't see what issue is. So what if someone got some perk before you did? Especially with Carnival where for $50 you can buy the most important components of the perk.

I can't imagine being concerned about someone getting the same cabin as I did for less money, for that matter more likely that someone is getting the same seat on the plane for $100 less.

Getting a perk for anything is nice but it's not a reason for choosing a cruise or a reason to be upset that someone is getting something you aren't.

have a great cruise

I think people are missing the concept that it is a LOYALTY program, not a dollars spent program. Loyalty means you come back to the same brand, whatever your level of consumption may be. Look at the 4 day cruiser vs the 7day suite cruiser. Yes, there is a different level of spending between the two, but both have to choose a cruise line to do it. The suite guy will get a suite on whatever line he chooses. The 4 day guy can also choose any cruise line he wants. Carnival is giving you rewards because you chose them. Loyalty, not spending.

The way some of you are talking, you'd be happy about being able to basically "buy" your status with higher spending onboard. I would bet all the tea in China these are the same people mad about FTTF. Haha!

And yes, I'm one of those evil people who live close to a port and catch good deals and cruise all the time...LOTS of short ones because it's easier to get 2 days off than a week....but there are 3 cruise lines in my immediate vicinity, and I go on Carnival WAY more than anyone else, at a clip of about 5 to 1 because I like them best and prices are usually best. They reward me for it. I don't feel bad about it at all.

So you are saying the person who drove or fly cross country to get to your ship is much more loyal to you than the guy 5 blocks from the port who just happened to see a cheap, last minute fare? :eek:

Oh, no . It isn't a case of just happened to see a cheap fare. It's the habit of only accepting those fares and being able to accumulate perks at velocities that others that do not live in port cities can not remotely compete with but are typically are spending more $'s on the brand per cruise day.

Fares at a certain discount level should be excluded from point accumulations. Also, onboard spending should accrue points.

Loyalty programs and perk programs are often based on an element of spend, among other factors, and many have exclusion rates that affect point accumulations.

That should level it out for everyone.

In all fairness though. The Carnival site does currently say:

Introducing the VIFP Club , Carnival’s way of recognizing our guests who keep on coming back, by offering you great benefits that are sure to take your next cruise to the next level of fun

I altered the above ever so slight with punctuation changes so its not exact copy.

Edited by eponym

Oh, no . It isn't a case of just happened to see a cheap fare. It's the habit of only accepting those fares and being able to accumulate perks at velocities that others that do not live in port cities can not remotely compete with but are typically are spending more $'s on the brand per cruise day.

Fares at a certain discount level should be excluded from point accumulations. Also, onboard spending should accrue points.

Loyalty programs and perk programs are often based on the element of spend, and many have exclusion rates for point accumulations.

That should level it out for everyone.

Maybe they could handicap us all like golfers! What do you think they could base it on? Annual income, proximity to port? Flexibility of job?

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

I really don't see what issue is. So what if someone got some perk before you did? Especially with Carnival where for $50 you can buy the most important components of the perk.

I can't imagine being concerned about someone getting the same cabin as I did for less money, for that matter more likely that someone is getting the same seat on the plane for $100 less.

Getting a perk for anything is nice but it's not a reason for choosing a cruise or a reason to be upset that someone is getting something you aren't.

have a great cruise

I agree with you, this thread was directed at a few platinum cruisers who were bullying and laughing at some of the gold cruisers on this past Wednesday for not being able to attend the party, my point is just like a person who's in a interior room could be worth more than a person in a suite, a person with a gold card could be worth more than a platinum cruiser. If I offended any of my fellow cruisers I apologize and I'm truly sorry.

I agree with you, this thread was directed at a few platinum cruisers who were bullying and laughing at some of the gold cruisers on this past Wednesday for not being able to attend the party, my point is just like a person who's in a interior room could be worth more than a person in a suite, a person with a gold card could be worth more than a platinum cruiser. If I offended any of my fellow cruisers I apologize and I'm truly sorry.

I saw that and I agree with you, the thread saying how great the party would be without the golds was tacky, tacky, tacky.

really am sick of you entitled people who like to put others down....you know, those of us who cruise when we can get the time and the airfare because we don't live within thousands of miles of a cruise port...karma will getcha...meanwhile...back to planning my next 4 night cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, your post made me realize that I took a bad/awful route that I shouldn't have. I hope you except my apologies and I'm glad you called me out.

Have a wonderful cruise

Edited by keith75

The only reason I go to the party is for the free drink. Well I'm Diamond and do like the perk to meet and sit down with the captain. I can't see getting mad since your going to get a good drink and not the rum punch at the party. Maybe Kieth needs to book the cheap cabins and go more to be platinum. I use to go to Vegas 3 times a yr. also but since I'm retired I can't afford to anymore. Cruising is money better spent for me. But I still gamble some

The only reason I go to the party is for the free drink. Well I'm Diamond and do like the perk to meet and sit down with the captain. I can't see getting mad since your going to get a good drink and not the rum punch at the party. Maybe Kieth needs to book the cheap cabins and go more to be platinum. I use to go to Vegas 3 times a yr. also but since I'm retired I can't afford to anymore. Cruising is money better spent for me. But I still gamble some

You're right Terryinal . I apologize if I offended you, wish you nothing but fun and happiness on all future cruises

Anyone who complains about how anyone else got their platinum status either doesn't have enough problems in their life, doesn't have a life or both.

Exactly. I'm grateful I can spend time on a cruise ship.

A 3 day cruise in an interior cabin in the 90's was, many times, more expensive than some 7 day cruises in a balcony today.

You want fair? Give points based on the cruise fare. $700? 700 points, regardless of length of cruise or cabin category. But even with that system someone will complain that it isn't fair

I agree 100%. No matter what system they put in place ,someone will find fault with it because it doesn't suit their situation. The fact of the matter is we all work whatever system is in place at the time. When the system was " per cruise " , people racked up as many short cruises as they could to get to Platinum. Now that it's " by day " , I'm sure there are people taking B2B in the cheaper interior cabins to rack up the days to get to platinum. All of our cruises with Carnival have been either balcony or suite , so would I like to see a system that puts more weight to those cabins .. sure .. but that's not the way they do it so I deal with it. The bottom line is we all have the ability to make choices. Could I switch my loyalty to another line that better rewards my style of cruising. Sure I could , but I like Carnival , so I stay with them. Make your choice and quit your complaining about something you cant change.

Sadly, yes.

On Royal Caribbean, this is not the case. You get double the cruise points if you stay in a suite, or you cruise solo. On NCL, you get double the points for getting a suite or Haven stateroom, as well as if you book 9 months or further in advance. The statuses are also more reasonable. Do I like the rewards programs on other lines? Certainly. Do I want to put myself in those loyalty programs? Definitly. Will I stop cruising Carnival? No!

I understand the frustration of many, I feel like a middle child! Not good enough for the nice perm's, but I don't need to be lured back to another cruise, so I get no attention. But I'm totally with you, if you get an interior gaurentee on a few 2 and 3 night cruises from long beach, and I get aft balconies on two 7 night cruises and a 4-5 night cruise, we should not be on the same level.

The OP is referring to the grandfathering in of the old way to count cruises. Royal Caribbean did the exact same thing when they switched to a day = 1 point as well. Yes you get double for suites, but that is not was the OP was referring to.

So people who made a living off of 3 day cruises and Interior cabins in the 90s and early 2000s are worth more than the balcony and suite cruisers of now.......

I am very sorry this is not true.I like sunshine and air we cruise only OV and balconies.

I am glad that the Party is only for platinum/diamond because was crowded.

But I think the gold deserve another party or 2 drink vouchers they can use it

Anywhere they want it.

We cruise and do land vacations a lot my DH,DD and myself are platinum.

But the rest of the family are gold and red.

At the end of the day the most important thing is that we are able to cruise together

as a family sometimes a group of 21 .....memories for the rest of my life.

Thank you

Edited by Isasprings

So if I can only afford or only want to pay for an inside and can only afford or have time for a short cruise You are way better then me? OK I understand now.

Edited by sprint180

Yes I am kind of bitter when the price of my cabin could pay for 3 or 4 interior cabins and they treat me like a outcast.

First, the loyalty program for Carnival has never been secret.

Second, no one is forced to book at higher rates.

Third, degradation of the loyalty program is not a new issue. Actually most of us had already experienced it when they did the "Brilliant" changes.

I have said this many many times on this forum, Carnival gives a good boat ride for the money.

Other than the boat ride they basically suck. Their customer service and customer relations need work. Carnival also does not communicate well, on the ships or off. Part of that problem, I believe, is language and cultural differences.

I know that I have had problems with Carnival in the past.

My signature is a clue. :rolleyes:

Yeah, DH and I are platinum.

We have enjoyed the little perks.

And hate to see the perks diminished.

We are not happy about the changes in the past guest party.

Our family and friends have now been uninvited which makes things a bit odd when sailing with them.

When we book a cruise, I check and price out all the possibilities.

We need to drive to port for financial reasons and because our airport is historically one of the most expensive to fly out of. There are not deals on airfare from here.

New Orleans is currently the only feasible option.

After Katrina, Carnival was the only cruise line in New Orleans for a long time.

And Carnival is the only line that sails from New Orleans year round.

So, I can be bitter about the changes or I can accept that I am just a customer paying for a boat ride.

I'm not rich or royalty.

And Carnival will not miss me.

Oh, another thing, DH and I did our first cruise in 1982 on Royal.

It was expensive and for most people it was a once or twice in a lifetime experience.

The cabin was tiny and the bed was smaller than a double, like the old three quarter mattresses.

Room service was very limited and was basically sandwiches.

Strange little sandwiches, with no crust.

No buffet; dining room three times a day; no food could be taken from the dining room.

There was professional entertainment one night of seven.

We liked it and it was fun, but different from now and shows how much things changed.

And keep changing.

We can cruise now for less than we did in 1982.

I know that cruises may eventually be priced out of our economic reality.

We have had to cut way back on the frequency, but when I get to cruise again I will savor every moment.

Edited by mzloolue

First, the loyalty program for Carnival has never been secret.

Second, no one is forced to book at higher rates.

Third, degradation of the loyalty program is not a new issue. Actually most of us had already experienced it when they did the "Brilliant" changes.

I have said this many many times on this forum, Carnival gives a good boat ride for the money.

Other than the boat ride they basically suck. Their customer service and customer relations need work. Carnival also does not communicate well, on the ships or off. Part of that problem, I believe, is language and cultural differences.

I know that I have had problems with Carnival in the past.

My signature is a clue. :rolleyes:

Yeah, DH and I are platinum.

We have enjoyed the little perks.

And hate to see the perks diminished.

We are not happy about the changes in the past guest party.

Our family and friends have now been uninvited which makes things a bit odd when sailing with them.

When we book a cruise, I check and price out all the possibilities.

We need to drive to port for financial reasons and because our airport is historically one of the most expensive to fly out of. There are not deals on airfare from here.

New Orleans is currently the only feasible option.

After Katrina, Carnival was the only cruise line in New Orleans for a long time.

And Carnival is the only line that sails from New Orleans year round.

So, I can be bitter about the changes or I can accept that I am just a customer paying for a boat ride.

I'm not rich or royalty.

And Carnival will not miss me.

Curious why only New Orleans? If you're driving, Galveston or Houston is not that far.

So if I can only afford or only want to pay for an inside and can only afford or have time for a short cruise You are way better then me? OK I understand now.

There is a different analysis. There are a lot of cruisers living in or near home ports that only skim low barrel inside cabin pricing at last minute to build 75 sea days for Platinum. There is no sympathy for someone that can go on 25, 3 day cruises at any price. The question is are they worth more or less to the brand than people not acting that way? carnival currently props up those who do and recognizes them as their crème de la crème.

Edited by eponym

There is a different analysis. There are a lot of cruisers living in or near home ports that only skim low barrel inside cabin pricing at last minute to build 75 sea days for Platinum. There is no sympathy for someone that can go on 25, 3 day cruises at any price. The question is are they worth more or less to the brand than people not acting that way? carnival currently props up those who do and recognizes them as their crème de la crème.

Yes but said skimmers still have a choice of which line. Carnival is rewarding loyalty, not ability to spend.

I am very sorry this is not true.I like sunshine and air we cruise only OV and balconies.

I am glad that the Party is only for platinum/diamond because was crowded.

But I think the gold deserve another party or 2 drink vouchers they can use it

Anywhere they want it.

We cruise and do land vacations a lot my DH,DD and myself are platinum.

But the rest of the family are gold and red.

At the end of the day the most important thing is that we are able to cruise together

as a family sometimes a group of 21 .....memories for the rest of my life.

Thank you

I don't know if Carnival doesn't in fact prop those people up under their current program.

By the way, at the end of the day, you can cruise together on any ship on any brand you choose.