QM2 Smoking

jessybell

Just back from Sydney to Southampton section of World Cruise and would like to share our disappointment that Cunard allows smoking in the nightclub G32 and on the only tables in the shade on Deck 8. Having done been on Victoria from Southampton to Sydney where smoking is not allowed in these particular venues, we could not believe it. We appreciate that everyone has to be catered for.

Is the shade port or starboard?

Fore or aft?

From ask.cunard.com Smoking is permitted on board only in designated areas of the open deck on the aft of Deck 7, the starboard aft side of Deck 8 and the inside of G32 (nightclub) Deck 3L on the port side upper level from 6pm each evening or when the weather is inclement.

There was no control of people smoking on aft deck 8..and the nightclub smelled of stale smoke all day.....they had the choir rehearsals in there and many people dropped out as they didn't like the atmosphere in there.

Per ask.cunard.com:

"Smoking is permitted on board only in designated areas of the open deck on the aft of Deck 7, the starboard aft side of Deck 8 and the inside of G32 (nightclub) Deck 3L on the port side upper level from 6pm each evening or when the weather is inclement."

The smokers were doing exactly what Cunard permits them to do on board. So what did you want Cunard to do? Throw them in the brig? Have them walk the plank?

To my knowledge there is no ship that is 100% smoke free but I could be wrong. (It was tried but was a revenue disaster.)

You would be best to avoid those areas altogether if you are that sensitive to tobacco smoke. If even a whiff is intolerable then it is on you to check the smoking policy of any ship before you book. You might have to give up sailing altogether: Medical marijuana smoke will soon be coming if the rapid rate at which individual states in the US are legalizing it indicates a similar trend for the rest of the world.

Edited by BlueRiband

Welcome back jessybell, how was the rest of your trip ? I hope it wasn't spoilt by the smoking.

I know what you mean about G32, but I suppose they do need to have somewhere for smokers indoors as they often have to close off the open decks during TAs.

There was just a general tolerance by the crew of people smoking in the no-smoking area of the shaded area of Deck 8.... This was where the sail away parties were held and where the band played at lunchtimes.....there were only about 8 tables and nowhere else for non smokers to sit apart from on the sun loungers........

The nightclubs on QV and QE are both non smoking.....

Just saying!

This is a difficult situation that no 2 opposing parties are likely to agree on any time soon.

My husband is a smoker - I've never smoked, but I accept his decision to do so.

Usually he will go out to one of the designated smoking areas alone, I will remain inside wherever we might be - bar, restaurant, lounge etc. So being able to still sit together in the correct area of G32 at night & not be on my own is a bonus for me (my choice to brave it!)

On many of the rare occasions that I have gone outside with him though, especially during the day, people will arrive & ask him & others not to smoke citing reasons such as needing the shade or no room elsewhere(!)

They have a whole ship to sit in, why oh why do they choose to come into the designated smoking area they know - or should do - that is just a small area where smokers can go?

Any cruise line is not going to completely ban smoking - too much revenue will be lost both in terms of passenger footfall & of course, duty free sales.

I think they (& not just Cunard) are doing their best to placate all - but in return passengers need to respect each others space & smokers should adhere to the rules as to where they can go & non smokers should appreciate that those spaces are there for the smokers & avoid them.

There was just a general tolerance by the crew of people smoking in the no-smoking area of the shaded area of Deck 8.... This was where the sail away parties were held and where the band played at lunchtimes.....there were only about 8 tables and nowhere else for non smokers to sit apart from on the sun loungers........

The nightclubs on QV and QE are both non smoking.....

Just saying!

On the Q.M.2 Cigarettes smokers are not allowed to use Churchill's Cigar Lounge . So upstairs in G32 was designated as a inside smoking area for Cigarette smokers On the Q.V, & the Q.E. They are allowed as its now been designated as a Smoking Lounge,

I am a non smoker but I agree that smokers should be allowed to smoke on board in the designated areas. I do feel that the designated areas are poorly thought out though.

The smell in G32 was quite bad and the A/C spreads the smell to other areas around the ship including the Atrium.

In addition, the area on deck 8 aft, is right outside the windows for Todd English making the atmosphere that bit worse having people right by the windows and doors while eating and trying to have a romantic evening. Passengers also use Todd English as a thoroughfare to get to the area.

Perhaps Cunard should provide another inside area for the small and getting smaller percentage of the passengers that still smoke or improve the A/C to a much better standard.

How about Cunard stops being ridiculous and just lets smokers smoke in Churchill's and scrap smoking in the G32?

When onboard I attend churchills every night and usually it's always the same people in there and no one I've met has ever agreed that you should not be allowed to smoke normal cigarettes in there. Knowing Cunard, one or two random old people who don't even frequent Churchills often probably kicked up a fuss the ONE time they decided to try it out and felt that it should be exclusive for cigar smokers, hence, ruined it for everyone.

I'm a smoker and I agree G32 smells stale and feel dingy..

I cannot agree with the OP about the tables for smokers aft of the ship as that I the one outdoor area we are allowed to smoke! So I'm sorry, but get a life.. You have 98% of the rest of the ship that is smoke free to enjoy. Are you also one of those people who complain about not being able to use the Grills areas when you book a Britannia ticket?

When I was last onboard, my partner and I asked an old couple if we could sit at a table outside Todd English that had an ash tray on it (as it is a smoking area) that they were sitting at as all other tables were full. They said yes. I pulled out my cigarettes and the wife said rudely 'NOT IF YOURE GOING TO SMOKE!!!'

To this day I regret not blasting her! It's a smoking area, go elsewhere! Instead I calmly left. What I would do to go back in time to that moment, gosh I've got a good few choice words for her..

Sorry but the forever continuing Cunard smoking argument is old and irritates me. Some people smoke, some don't.. MOVE ON! They call smokers selfish but when you have people always coming on here complaining about smokers smoking in the smoking areas!? Oh come on... Get a life.

And I don't care what anyone says, a sniff isn't going to kill you..

Otherwise best you stay indoors for the rest of your life, or how about a bubble!? Because the world, believe it or not, has smoke and other dangerous chemicals in the air, shock horror!! Meanwhile my last trip departed from hong kong. I don't recall seeing any passengers wearing faces masks to protect them from the pollution in the air? Funny that.

Over and out.. Time for a ciggy. :)

I think you didn't quite get what I was saying....on aft deck 8 there are about 8 tables under the canopy. There are NO other outdoor tables anywhere else on the ship that are shaded......they had only 3 umbrellas left for the 12 tables on deck 12 and even then you had to phone down to the Pursers Desk to get someone to put them out. My point is that although half the tables on Deck 8 are designated non-smoking, smokers took over all of them thus leaving non smokers not one table in the shade to enjoy a drink whilst listening to the band.

I appreciate that everyone should be able to smoke or not, but if Cunard provided more tables around deck 8 pool with some type of canopy, then there would be no problem.

As for G32..... all it needs is better ventilation!

I think you didn't quite get what I was saying....on aft deck 8 there are about 8 tables under the canopy. There are NO other outdoor tables anywhere else on the ship that are shaded......they had only 3 umbrellas left for the 12 tables on deck 12 and even then you had to phone down to the Pursers Desk to get someone to put them out. My point is that although half the tables on Deck 8 are designated non-smoking, smokers took over all of them thus leaving non smokers not one table in the shade to enjoy a drink whilst listening to the band.

I appreciate that everyone should be able to smoke or not, but if Cunard provided more tables around deck 8 pool with some type of canopy, then there would be no problem.

As for G32..... all it needs is better ventilation!

I'm unsure of your issue? Are you complaining people were smoking there or that there were no tables left for you regardless of whether smokers or non smokers sat at the tables? You seem to be more annoyed that there isn't more shaded tables than the fact that that area is for smokers? Sitting in that area you're going to have smoke around you regardless of whether all smokers a starboard or port or on both sides (which is why I think the staff don't enforce the rule) 2 meters isn't going to stop smoke from wafting your way..

Perhap contact Cunard and suggest more shading on deck 8 rather than trying to imply the current area shouldn't be used by smokers

I appreciate that everyone should be able to smoke or not, but if Cunard provided more tables around deck 8 pool with some type of canopy, then there would be no problem...

I doubt that an expanded canopy would work as the winds on a transatlantic would rip it off. That's why QM2 does not have private cabanas and other warm weather furniture that are often found on warm weather cruise ships - she's an ocean liner and not a warm weather cruise ship.

But we do "get it". One reason to make a smoking area appealing is to encourage smokers to use that dedicated area and not other areas of the ship. So it look inviting and appealing, you wanted to sit there, but damn it the smokers were using it. That seems to be the crux of your argument and I have to disagree with you 100%. The smokers were smoking where the ships allows them to smoke.

Edited by BlueRiband