XUNANTUNICH MAYAN RUINS in electric scooter?

jorezba

My wife and I are very interested in seeing the ruins. Problem is she is in a scooter and cannot walk very far. She can get off the boat into a tender, and vise versa...but i cannot find any info if the grounds, does it have alot of steps at the ruins...or is paved/graded. If anyone has been..have you seen anyone in a wheelchair or scooter?

I've seen people in wheel chairs being pushed up the grade from the parking lot to the site. Unless they've paved that grade, it's all dirt and gravel and fairly steep for a electric wheelchair, IMO. Once on the site it's flat, but then you have the downhill getting back to the parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nellsmom58

Xunantunich does not have paved walkways that would accommodate scooters. Most of the grounds are grass, gravel, or dirt and not great for scooters, IMO. I saw no one in a scooter when I went last year.

• 2 weeks later...
Xunantunich does not have paved walkways that would accommodate scooters. Most of the grounds are grass, gravel, or dirt and not great for scooters, IMO. I saw no one in a scooter when I went last year.

I have no idea how anyone could use a scooter on the site. As I recall our excursion said no wheelchairs or scooters, and it also recommended that you be fit enough to walk long distances and climb stairs. Even some of the elderly people who thought they would be OK had a bit of trouble between the heat and walking on the uneven surfaces. Many of them had to skip the climb to the top of the pyramid, which left them missing the most amazing view.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were just there last week....

NO, there is no way a person could see the ruins if they are in a wheelchair or scooter. There are several steep inclines and no paved areas in the ruins. The person would have to wait at the bottom of the last hill in the parking lot. Not worth it, IMHO.

On our tour there were several people who have walking issues, recent surgeries, etc.... those people were given a van ride up to the ruins main level, but they had to walk over tree limbs, up a concrete staircase, and across a huge area that is not level at times. They stood under a tree and watched as the rest of the people climbed the pyramids for over and hour. When we were all done, we exited back down the way we came together.