Water Buses in Venice

I have read a lot on this forum about the no. 1 waterbus and it can be taken to see the whole Grand Canal. Does anyone know if you take this no. 1 waterbus from San Marco square does it go in a circle so you can get back off at the square? Also where do the cruise ships dock in Venice? Near the causeway?

thanks

nr

We bought the 24 hour varparetto/water bus pass when we were in Venice in August (I am slowly still typing up my review of the trip). It just goes up and down the Grand Canal (does not make a circle). It is a very expensive way of getting to ride up and down the Grand Canal (much less than water taxi or gondolas, the two other primary means of canal transport); it cost 10.5E for the pass.

From the port area where the cruise ships are, it is a good 15 minute walk to Piazzale Roma where you can purchase tickets and get on the water bus; that is unfortunately the closest location. And from Roma to St Mark's Square, it took 30-40 minute because of making stops so be sure to give yourself appropriate time because we were running to make the boat.

We maximized our money's worth on the water bus though, taking it to Lido one late afternoon and to Murano the next morning.

There are two waterbus routes that run up and down the Grand Canal, Route 1 and Route 82 These go both ways up and down the Grand Canal with the main difference being that one stops at every waterbus stop on the Grand Canal and the other is the “express” version on only hits the main stops. Number one (1) is the one that stops everywhere and the Number eighty-two (82) is the “express” waterbus.

The above information about the closest place to catch either of these is correct. The water bus pass you buy is well worth the money whether you buy it for only a day or longer if you are going to be there longer. It is good for 24 hours from the time you use it the first time. So you can spread its use over two days if you are going to be there for two days.

Here is a great web site with lots of information on Venice.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Have a great next cruise.

Just a note..... You are correct. The main cruise ship terminal is at the end of the causeway coming over from the mainland. However, there is another terminal at San Basilio Basin on the southwestern end of Dorsoduro. It handles smaller to mid-size ships when there's an overflow in port at once. I'm sailing on Oceania's Regatta next April; & have found that Oceania's ships frequently dock there. At any rate, that would put you even further from Piazzale Roma to pick up your water taxi pass.

If you are docked at the alternate port you should be able to pick up a day pass for the waterbuses at the ticket booth at the dock a little ways below St Marks. I think they sell the day passes at all the major waterbus ticket booths. Then you would just get on the waterbus 1 or 82 heading up the Grand Canal going towards the Piazzo Roma.

I also agree be sure to allow at least 30 minutes and probably more like an hour to do a full Grand canal trip But it will turn out to be time well spent especially if you can get to the open end of the waterbus where you can take pictures during your trip. The palaces and houses along the canal as well as the other traffic including the gondolas will provide lots of picture opportunities.

This is the link to the Marittima Terminal - you can check the cruise ship schedule to see if this is the terminal that your ship will be at. Click on Terminal Location to see the map, and to get directions from the airport and Piazzale Roma. If this site comes up in Italian, click on the U.Jack. http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci02.jsp

There is supposed to be a shuttle bus from the pier to Piazzo Roma if you don't want to walk. I've read it varies from free to 4 Euros each.

Here's a web site with detailed maps so you can see the route to Piazzo Roma:

http://www.math.unipd.it/~candiler/venezia/mapcity.htm

Don't forget the traghetto's, too. They are the small water taxi's that take you ACROSS the canal at various points so you don't have to walk to the next bridge.

Here is the web site for the water bus fares and schedules:http://WWW.actv.it

Also, if you purchase a Venice card, it includes all transpo, public toilets, and the Orange card includes the museums, too:

http://www.venicecard.com/default_eng.jsp

I just did all my research on Venice yesterday, so the stuff is fresh in my mind.

I'm trying to decide whether the 1-day blue card is worth it... is it good for 24 hours from time of issue, or only one calendar day?

Are there many of the "publc conveniences" (e.g. restrooms) available for use from this service provider, or are restrooms pretty easy to come by in Venice (clean and free or cheap)?

Thanks!

The Venice card is good for 24 hours from the first time you use it not from the time you actually purchase it. This means if you get it and then just walk around for awhile you may get a few more hours of use the second day.

As far as restrooms go, we never were able to figure out how to use the Venice card for the public restrooms which seemed to want coins. Instead we used the facilities when we were in the museums, doge's palace, etc. or at restaurants when we got lunch or dinner. In the public restrooms they have an attendent and you are expected to tip them something for using the facility which they keep clean and furnished with essentials (i.e. TP). By the way European TP is not as soft as Charmin but is more like the kind used in schools here in the US.

The Venice card is good for 24 hours from the first time you use it not from the time you actually purchase it. This means if you get it and then just walk around for awhile you may get a few more hours of use the second day.

As far as restrooms go, we never were able to figure out how to use the Venice card for the public restrooms which seemed to want coins. Instead we used the facilities when we were in the museums, doge's palace, etc. or at restaurants when we got lunch or dinner. In the public restrooms they have an attendent and you are expected to tip them something for using the facility which they keep clean and furnished with essentials (i.e. TP). By the way European TP is not as soft as Charmin but is more like the kind used in schools here in the US.

Thanks, I may just go for the 24 hour vaporetto pass then and not pay extra for the restrooms!

Archived