Norwegian iConcierge app

Has anyone used this app? It looks like a great tool, it's free, you can communicate with others aboard and look up schedules, book reservations ect.

I'd like to get some more information and reviews from people who have used it.

We used this app on our recent Getaway cruise and loved it. Yes, the app is free but there is a one time fee of $7.95 per device to activate the messaging feature (this fee is added to your shipboard account). Once you accept that charge, you are assigned a special number that others can use to message you. We were traveling with my brother and sister-in-law. The messaging feature was a great way to check their whereabouts in case we wanted to meet up with each other.

We enjoyed it so much that we plan to use it again on our upcoming Dec Escape cruise. Give it a try!

We used this app on our recent Getaway cruise and loved it. Yes, the app is free but there is a one time fee of $7.95 per device to activate the messaging feature (this fee is added to your shipboard account). Once you accept that charge, you are assigned a special number that others can use to message you. We were traveling with my brother and sister-in-law. The messaging feature was a great way to check their whereabouts in case we wanted to meet up with each other.

We enjoyed it so much that we plan to use it again on our upcoming Dec Escape cruise. Give it a try!

Thank you.... All of the reviews on the App Store are not positive.

We used it last May and thought is was pretty awesome. We used it to contact each other among other things. It really does have a lot of neat features and if we are ever on another ship that offers it, we will definitely be getting it again.

I used the free portion of it on the Pearl recently. I thought it was just fine. It allowed numerous searches like statements, restaurant reservations, entertainment, and other stuff from the convenience of our room. I did notice it didn't work while out on our balcony or maybe other areas surrounded by signal blocking metal. We didn't need it for messaging.

Do you use WIFI on your device? I don't want to turn on and accumulate roaming charges...

Yes, you just turn off the data, and use the iConcierge app through wifi instead. Here is an easy "user manual" for the iConcierge app:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_05132014.pdf

Edited by TrumpyNor

Do you have to pay for the wi-fi package to be able to use this app? I mean, I will download the app beforehand, so that won't be a problem, but do you actually need the internet on your phone for it to work? I will be on airplane mode otherwise.

Do you have to pay for the wi-fi package to be able to use this app? I mean, I will download the app beforehand, so that won't be a problem, but do you actually need the internet on your phone for it to work? I will be on airplane mode otherwise.

You do not.

Do you use WIFI on your device? I don't want to turn on and accumulate roaming charges...

On a smartphone (iPhone anyhow), the only thing that will cost you accidental roaming charges is data. Just be sure you have "data" off, or "data off while roaming". Wifi being on will not accidentally cost you anything. If you run across free wifi somewhere, no charge to use it. If the wifi signal requires a charge, then you must buy that access first before it will activate. Just be sure you have data off and you're safe. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but the concierge app recognized the correct wifi signal on the ship, not the pay per minute other one that is available.

On a smartphone (iPhone anyhow), the only thing that will cost you accidental roaming charges is data. Just be sure you have "data" off, or "data off while roaming". Wifi being on will not accidentally cost you anything. If you run across free wifi somewhere, no charge to use it. If the wifi signal requires a charge, then you must buy that access first before it will activate. Just be sure you have data off and you're safe. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but the concierge app recognized the correct wifi signal on the ship, not the pay per minute other one that is available.

Ok great that's really helpful. I'll be travelling from the UK to Barcelona where I embark so will have data off as soon as I leave the country.