Adventure of The Seas Photo Review 4/19/2015 (S.Caribbean B)

Pre Days San Juan

Evening in San Juan, Paseo de la Princesa

Paseo de la Princesa is a pedestrian walkway which has benches along the water, as well as food and craft vendors set up. We knew from past trips that it's a lively, safe place in the evening to enjoy people watching local families. After such a big lunch we decided to nosh at food vendors rather than do another big meal in a restaurant.

160026718.jpg

160026709.jpg

This fellow had created a very large pile of orange peels while peeling oranges for fresh squeezed orange juice. OJ was $1.00 for a cup and $1.50 for a cup without ice...it was delicious, and we saved a "pile" by not buying it onboard!! In general, the food and crafts are very affordable. We enjoyed several tasty snacks (plantain chips, empanadas, orange juice, etc) and nothing cost more than $2-4. This is an affordable option to eat if you are trying to stay on a budget.

160026714.jpg

160026711.jpg

160026712.jpg

Raice's Fountain has a descriptive plaque which explains the artists intent to depict and celebrate Puerto Rican Culture.

160026716.jpg

Pre Days San Juan

Jewel Sailaway and a walk along the outside the walled city

I hear soon it will be possible to walk all the way from the Paseo de la Princesa to El Morro at night along a walk way outside the city walls. For now, you can walk all the way to the San Juan Gate, which is the historical "entrance" to the old city for dignitaries and welcomed guests. Unwelcome guests had the tunnels blown out from underneath them at the forts!

We felt very welcomed! The area is very well lit, populated with local families and a few tourists and patrolled by security. There are several pocket parks with interesting sculpture and benches along the shore. One of the best parts of this location is that you can see Jewel on Saturday night (or Adventure on Sunday night) sail out around 8 PM. That was our plan, and we were able to see Jewel and know we would be on board Adventure doing the same trip the next day!

The city walls are beautifully lit

160026720.jpg

160026723.jpg

We must be dignitaries, because we were able to enter at the San Juan Gate!

160026721.jpg

Jewel of the Seas heading out

160026725.jpg

After we soaked our feet in the rooftop pool and hot tub at the Sheraton. We headed to bed looking forward to our own sail away!

I understand that this is a lot of "pre night" information, but here is my feeling about that...more than some embarkation ports, San Juan really is another "port of call" for most people. It isn't simply a place to get on the ship, but a destination people are interested in researching about where to eat and visit and what to see. I have found it very useful when people post information about an embarkation port I plan to visit for the first time, and I hope even though it's not "technically" the cruise yet, it is helpful info!:D

Next up is embarkation day and the first sea day, with lots of ship photos for anyone waiting for those!

Steps: 17,105 Floors: 40

I recently got Fitbit Charge and I wore it throughout our cruise, (except at night when we were dressed up)... I am going to post my steps and floors for each day, because it might give people who also use one an idea how active our itinerary is compared to their own fitness level. Also we use stairs exclusively on the ship, and the floors will show how many sets of stairs you can do on board to "counter act" all that food!

Day 1 Embarkation Day San Juan

I will post this as a time line, but I like to think of it as "moments"!

It's that moment you wake up on land and know by the end of the day you will be at sea!

We started the day at Starbucks again, and then made our trip to CVS for a 16 pack of water bottles, which DH packed in a back pack and carried on board with no problems. We packed up and went to the lobby to get a taxi to pier at 10:50 AM. We used Johnny Taxi (random assignment), and he was very friendly and I mention him because when we disembarked we called him to come get us and he was very reliable, showing up about 10 minutes before we left the terminal building. You can find him at johnnytourspr@yahoo.com or ask for him, we found all the guys knew him!

Taxi Rates:

Are regulated, so you can expect them to be pretty consistent within the tourist zone. Airport to the pier or OSJ is about $19-20 (for the cab) and $1 per bag. The cab from OSJ to the Pan American Pier was about $15 (for the cab) and $1 per bag. We also left a tip for the driver equal to about $1 per bag. There are extra charges for late night, waiting, more than 5 passengers. Be warned that on busy weekends and evenings, taxi drivers are reluctant to get "stuck" on the narrow cobble streets of OSJ; especially in a taxi van. So if you are planning to take a cab into the heart of OSJ, be prepared to be asked to walk a bit from a place where one of the major arteries intersects the old city streets or to pay more.

It's that moment you first see the ship at the pier, waiting for YOU!

160026213.jpg

Our embarkation timeline...(we received a phone message directing passengers to arrive at the pier by hour based on suite, deck # and C&A status, but there was no apparent "enforcement" of this)

10:50 AM cab to pier

11:05 AM arrived at pier, drop bags at bag drop- note: at SJ there is ONE line for bag drop, it is closest the curb, after you've dropped the bags then you are sorted into lines by "suite guest" and relevant C&A status. As soon as we dropped bags, they began allowing guests in line (there were maybe 24) to go in and through security.

11:20 AM we were through security check inside the terminal building

11:30 AM we had completed check in with RCl reps and had our sea passes in hand; at that hour there was no difference between suite guests C&A lines or new guest lines.

11:30 AM we were sitting in a very limited number of chairs in the room, by the time.

12 noon They announced they would be opening the door (lest you think this is like the emerald of Oz, the door in question is one of those rollup garage doors they put over the liquor store fronts in the tough neighborhoods. I guess they were worried we would storm the ship to get to the Windjammer??;)) and calling each row of chairs in an orderly fashion.

12:10 PM

It's that moment you hear the "ding" and step onto the cruise ship!

We then headed to the solarium where we selected a nice quiet shady table and started sending out parties on sorties to a) get lunch from the Windjammer, b) pick up towels (pool deck) c) use the RC Online computer center (deck 8) to register for an internet package.

160026214.jpg

It's that first moment when you fill up that familiar plastic blue and yellow plate at the Windjammer!

160026215.jpg

Other things one might do upon embarking:

-check out your dining table in the MDR (decks 3 &4)

-make or confirm dining reservations

-book shore excursions (deck 5)

-buy a drink package (anywhere and everywhere :rolleyes:)

-tour the spa (deck 11; it looked like someone had kicked over an ant hill in there!):eek:)

I love your pre-cruise information. My husband and I are sailing in December and we are planning three days in San Juan prior to our cruise. We have never been to San Juan and all your information is awesome. We will definitely be visiting the chocolate restaurant and the free trolley. I cannot wait to hear more. Thanks

The next moment is the first moment you open your cabin door!

In our case, we had booked the polarizing corner aft cabin on deck 7 Cabin # 7688. I say polarizing because it seems people either love the idea of this cabin or hate it. Some people think it's too far down the hall, has too much motion/vibration, or that the balcony is too shady, obstructed and covered for their taste.

Let's keep focusing on that, because then fewer of us will be trying to get that cabin and no one from the cruise line will see the value in it and build a suite that costs 5 figures a week to book in the same space (like on Oasis) Let's keep saying this is a lousy cabin because we absolutely LOVED it, and I'd like to discourage anyone else from booking it or worse charging more for it!

Tiny cabin

160026217.jpg

Tinier bathroom

160026216.jpg

Tiny cabin with pullman bed down

160026244.jpg

Busy charging center with our own power strip; there are only 2 outlets.

160026246.jpg

Our bags were already outside the room, so we unpacked...very, very carefully! Fitting 3 people in this cabin was a challenge, but we used (for the very first time!) the over the door shoe holder for our DD's clutter. We drew straws for drawer space, threw down, (winner take all) for shelf space, doubled up items on hangers, hid the PFD's in a dangerously inaccessible spot, rearranged the minibar, stashed the laundry and empty suitcases under the bed, banished the coffee table to the balcony. After the dust had cleared we were more or less unpacked and able to live comfortably for a week with 3 adults. This is one of those spots where our obsessive planning really paid off, we didn't have room for stuff we didn't need. (which makes me wonder why we packed the hammock:rolleyes:)

So if this discourages you from booking this cabin - don't read the next post ;)

I love your pre-cruise information. My husband and I are sailing in December and we are planning three days in San Juan prior to our cruise. We have never been to San Juan and all your information is awesome. We will definitely be visiting the chocolate restaurant and the free trolley. I cannot wait to hear more. Thanks

I think you will love it...it's really one of my favorite ports! The chocolate bar was great, and I loved the price ;), you can go into the gallery for free anytime!

The trolley is handy when it's hot or if your dogs are tired, but really the OSJ walled portion of the city isn't much more than 1 mile across in any direction, so if you like to walk, it's very walkable area!

Busy charging center with our own power strip; there are only 2 outlets.

You should get one of these:

Anker 60W 6-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P933OJC

It was recommend to me by someone here on Cruise Critic and not only is it great for charging all your USB stuff on the cruise but you can use it year round at home.

You should get one of these:

Anker 60W 6-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P933OJC

It was recommend to me by someone here on Cruise Critic and not only is it great for charging all your USB stuff on the cruise but you can use it year round at home.

Wow, that is hard core! The one we have is small, and has 4 outlets on 2 sides so you can actually USE them all with a plug! I think it is also convertible for outlets in different countries.

Wow, that is hard core! The one we have is small, and has 4 outlets on 2 sides so you can actually USE them all with a plug! I think it is also convertible for outlets in different countries.

It is actually very small. In your picture I notice you are using the the bricks for charging and although the Apple bricks aren't that big they require being plugged into an outlet vs. just using the USB cables. We also have this:

Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015DYMVO

619npNbFQZL._SX355_.jpg

It is actually bigger and bulkier than the 6 port USB charger. They have a 2.1 AMP version of the Belkin which is better for USB charging but since I use the Anker I don't need the higher watt USB ports on the Belkin.

But, the Belkin never gets used at home and sits in a bag. (unlike the Anker)

:)

Edited by NightOne

I started reading this yesterday and began to think we may be a lot alike. (planning is my thing). I just booked this SAME cabin last weekend for our March 2017 cruise. Yep that is 2017 I am very excited to read the rest of your review of this terrible tiny cabin I get to I mean I have to stay in. :)

It is actually very small. In your picture I notice you are using the the bricks for charging and although the Apple bricks aren't that big they require being plugged into an outlet vs. just using the USB cables. We also have this:

Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015DYMVO

619npNbFQZL._SX355_.jpg

It is actually bigger and bulkier than the 6 port USB charger. They have a 2.1 AMP version of the Belkin which is better for USB charging but since I use the Anker I don't need the higher watt USB ports on the Belkin.

But, the Belkin never gets used at home and sits in a bag. (unlike the Anker)

We use lots of these at home too and in our summer home where the power is iffy and we worry about those power surges!:eek:

I started reading this yesterday and began to think we may be a lot alike. (planning is my thing). I just booked this SAME cabin last weekend for our March 2017 cruise. Yep that is 2017 I am very excited to read the rest of your review of this terrible tiny cabin I get to I mean I have to stay in.

Then, my dear, this next post is for your eyes only...shhhh, don't tell anyone about this balcony its TERRIBLE:eek:!~;)

PS you are gonna LOVE IT! :D

Balcony Cabin # 7688

There are no words...

160026266.jpg

160026267.jpg

160026276.jpg

160026257.jpg

160026271.jpg

160026317.jpg

So of course I'm going to add words!

Whats on it/sun/shade: Many people ask about the "obstructions" ... this balcony is under another above which creates a coved or sheltered area. It was mostly shaded most of the time. But you could find a sun patch from the "port hole"; you can see how large that is compared to me in photo #3, certainly enough for the sunbather in the family. There is a post, you can see in picture #2, but it's not in the way of anything. There is more than enough room for the 6 pieces of furniture out there. (7 with our banished coffee table) Our daughter turned the 2 adjustable dining chairs into a lounger by laying both chairs flat and putting them seat to seat.

Views and Privacy: When you look outward you see a panoramic ocean, when you look down you see the blue "canopy" below...I so rarely noticed it that at one point I made an actual effort to think about it and see if by looking at it I could tell if it was a roof to the deck below. If you have a cabin on deck 6, you have a rail that blocks your access to the blue canopy, but the balcony is on the same level as that blue canopy. There is also another large "porthole" on the corners of deck 6, but these are not accessible to the people in the corner cabins on deck 6. (you can see this in the last photo) The balconies above on Deck 8, 9, and 10 are shallower and don't have the "porthole" on the balcony (though one has a port hole in the room!) Some of the cabins above and below may be suites or larger cabins and have wider balconies, but our attendant told us this was the largest balcony on the ship.

Unlike the Radiance class aft balconies, (the only others I've experienced) you really cannot see or be seen by anyone else in aft balconies above or below unless you lean over the rail, so we found it much more private, visually, but remember you can still hear and smell! (we had a smoking neighbor- but we didn't report since we were not bothered by this often and I'm sure our noise was annoying too!- we aren't known for being quiet as mice!) You can see the very end of deck 5, which is an outdoor smoking area for crew. We used our balcony extensively, and rarely saw crew out there (when do they have time, really?) When we did see someone smoking it was rare and we never ever smelled it from that deck. We never noticed soot.

Noise and Comfort: We did find that there was slightly more motion (barely detectable) but we had a very smooth cruise. We did however notice significant additional "business noise", clanking, and thumping and thrusters, especially when we were docking at port early in the morning. Whether this bothers you depends on what kind of sleeper you are. I'm a light sleeper and noticed it, my teen, not so much! It usually happened an hour before I had planned to get up to head out to the islands anyway, so it did not detract from the experience of that balcony!

So in conclusion, do not book this balcony- ever (on the same week I want to sail!) We loved it!

Hi Kathy!

Great start, I love it already (well, aside from that Pats t-shirt you packed...) ;)

I LOVE the idea of posting your step/stair count each day!

Looking forward to the rest!

Achh, don't even say Patriots this week, I can't bear it!:(

I'm glad the steps matter to someone, I thought of the idea and hoped someone would appreciate it!

Muster and Evening

After unpacking we made a tour of the ship from bottom to top (yup, usually we go the other way to make it easier but we were counting steps and stairs) Im going to post those photos as a ships tour on "Day 2 Sea Day". Muster drill was at 5:45 PM.

Dinner: The menu for Day 1 is Mojo (pork chops, salmon, seafood spaghetti, prime rib, tortillas)

We chose My Time Dining, and generally find the first day in the any of the dining rooms is a bit chaotic and since we have sailed enough that most of the menu items are not something new, we decided not to go to dinner at the MDR. Lastly, we didn't want to get trapped in the dining room during sail away since the sail out of San Juan is not to be missed! The ship sails past Old San Juan and El Morro, and is very dramatic at night. We went to Johnny Rockets for dinner instead and then headed back to our balcony to enjoy the sail away.

Johnny Rockets

160026331.jpg

160026283.jpg

I should have mentioned in the cabin review that if you want the best view of El Morro on sail away, it will be on the starboard side, so you should chose a balcony cabin (#7388 if you want the corner) on the starboard side. But we managed to get an ok view from the aft ;)

El Morro at Sail Away

160026730.jpg

160026727.jpg

After Sail Away, we attended the Welcome Aboard Show, one show at 10:30 PM, where we met our cruise director, Bobby, from Scotland and enjoyed to the comedy of Dean Austin.

Bobby Brown

160026323.jpg

Steps: 11,921 Floors: 27

Edited by Familygoboston

Great review. The balcony looks great now that the deck and chairs were replaced. Could you tell if the other aft balconies had the new chairs?

Thanks

Yes, all of the balconies on 6 and 7 that we could see by leaning waaay over (on debarkation day after everyone left) were new furniture. It is much more comfortable than the old "strap" furniture!

We have this exact cabin for the August 8th sailing ...87 days from now and I just love the pictures!!! You are right, don't tell too many people about those aft cabins...;) Although we sail to different ports I am enjoying the cruise with you...

Thanks for reviewing Old San Juan. I will be there in October for a few days pre-cruise, and excited to try the chocolate creations. I really want to try the grilled cheese and chocolate. What did you have and did you like it?