If don't get off the ship port charges refunded

Jay Sam

Always have gotten off the ship in each port, but now as I am cruising more, if I don't want to re-visit a port that I do not need to see again, and stay on the ship, are the port charges refunded? If so, do I have to apply for the refund, or is it automatic?

It actually is an interesting question. I've often wondered if carnival has to pay based on how many people are on the ship or how many people get off it. In other words, do they incur an expense when we get off but get to keep that money if we don't?

It actually is an interesting question. I've often wondered if carnival has to pay based on how many people are on the ship or how many people get off it. In other words, do they incur an expense when we get off but get to keep that money if we don't?

I would say no for the same reason guests don't get a refund if they don't get off the ship. It is too hard to track. Sure, you have S&S records of who got on and off the ship, but why bother reconciling that, when you can just bill per person on board?

Also, the pilot and pier employees work just as hard if you get off the ship or not.

Sorry I asked this question. I was just wondering. Some of you are just plain vicious while assuming things about me that are not true. Not all but some.

I have never requested the gratuities to be refunded, and never plan to even if there is something wrong. And I take a dim view of those who do. The folks on the ships work plenty hard and I always make sure I thank them not only with words but with cash as well.

As a matter of fact, I always give my room stewards a nice tip as well as the staff in the MDR. When I see a staff member doing a great job in the buffet area I will often approach them and give them $5.00 or $10.00 and say thanks for your good work and making things so nice for us.

I also tip the folks that are sweeping the floors, cleaning the railings and those who I see on the decks cleaning the pool areas. I always take along a lot of extra 10s and 5s to thank those who most would not tip.

Frankly I wish all would pass along a little more thanks and money to those who are not in direct contact with us like those doing the sweeping, cleaning, mopping and those making sure the pool area is nice for the next day at 2AM. Tip those people as I do.

I am pretty sure the line pays the fees to the ports based on occupancy whether one gets off the ship or not.

The port fees and taxes are for you being in port. You are in port so you get charged.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Sorry I asked this question. I was just wondering. Some of you are just plain vicious while assuming things about me that are not true. Not all but some.

I have never requested the gratuities to be refunded, and never plan to even if there is something wrong. And I take a dim view of those who do. The folks on the ships work plenty hard and I always make sure I thank them not only with words but with cash as well.

As a matter of fact, I always give my room stewards a nice tip as well as the staff in the MDR. When I see a staff member doing a great job in the buffet area I will often approach them and give them $5.00 or $10.00 and say thanks for your good work and making things so nice for us.

I also tip the folks that are sweeping the floors, cleaning the railings and those who I see on the decks cleaning the pool areas. I always take along a lot of extra 10s and 5s to thank those who most would not tip.

Frankly I wish all would pass along a little more thanks and money to those who are not in direct contact with us like those doing the sweeping, cleaning, mopping and those making sure the pool area is nice for the next day at 2AM. Tip those people as I do.

Sorry some got mean, its normal around here but honestly, I don't think anyone was that mean but if you feel their comments were hurtful or off topic, report them.

As far as tipping the extra folks, I believe they are included in the daily tip pool as well. Still cool you give extra.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Don't worry about it OP. Some of the replies are a little snarky this morning.

I have seen people post on here that their port fees were refunded when they couldn't get off the ship due to an illness or quarantine or something so I have also wondered. Sometimes my daughter stays on the ship in camp carnival though and we have never gotten a refund of the port fees. (Or asked. But I have wondered whenever I see someone say theirs were refunded due to illness or injury)

I am pretty sure the line pays the fees to the ports based on occupancy whether one gets off the ship or not.

The port fees and taxes are for you being in port. You are in port so you get charged.

I do beleive you are correct (as well as the post to the op on some of the replies.....).

Always have gotten off the ship in each port, but now as I am cruising more, if I don't want to re-visit a port that I do not need to see again, and stay on the ship, are the port charges refunded? If so, do I have to apply for the refund, or is it automatic?

Look at it this way. If you park you car in a garage, and only one person gets out, you would still need to pay. Port charges are fees to park the ship, and is paid for by all people on board.

I believe the port fees are for the ship docking there and would be the same cost even if no one got off the ship. That is why you get a refund if the weather doesn't allow the ship to dock at port.

Correct... Otherwise, I'd be rich with refunds.... Hate Mexico and Bahamas.

No. You get to enjoy a quiet day on an uncrowded ship.

Hope your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you asked that question.

Laughing when I read your comment about my tongue being firmly planted in my cheek. Oh yeah. Chuckling still.

Yeah to me a port day that I am not interested in is a blessing. I have a quiet day on the ship without the crowds.

Thanks for your post and giving me the chuckle. I learned my lesson. Tongue in cheek will always have a new meaning to me. Laughing still and thanks again for the funny. I needed that.

Personally I thought the OPs question was thoughtful and had some merit. You pay a fee and you don't (apparently) use the services...who wouldn't think that they might get a refund. The only "silly" question in this world is the unasked one.

Thanks Sweet Dutch Girl. I appreciate your support.

I was just asking to see what the deal was. Many have supported my question including you. Thanks so much to you and all the nice others like you.

The line pays per ship not passenger. That is why if the ship is full we will get some kind of OBC back saying refund. They charge X amount to cover the fees based on the amount to dock. When a ship is full and they've covered the amount the figure out how much should be refunded.

Lets say you go on a 4 day to Cozumel. Cabin price plus $88 tax, and port fees. If the ship is full they more then cover the fees to dock so like $10 is credited back to each passenger.

I may have messed up somewhere but I overheard someone at customer service explain this to someone yesterday aboard the Paradise. We all had $9.72 credited to us.

So to amswer your question no they won't be refunded back to you.

Hi Jay,

IDK but maybe if you ask guest services while you are on-board.

Edited by Isasprings