First Alaska Oosterdam cruise of the season (LIVE)

JavaJunkie

I've finally started writing about last week's ports. As I'd previously reported, our weather was fabulous all week. We definitely needed layers of clothing because the weather did change “every five minutes:” warm enough for a t-shirt in the sun, but downright chilly in the shade with a breeze blowing while walking along the shore. I am very glad I packed sunscreen and sunglasses in addition to a wool hat and fleece-lined mittens, because I've used them all.

KETCHIKAN:

For many people, Ketchikan is the first city they visit in Alaska, the first place they spend money in Alaska, and the cruise industry's impact on town is evident. The cheap souvenir store Tongass Trading Post has FOUR locations in a town of 13,500 people, but I guess it pays off for the 1.1 million people that visit via ship each season. The cruise ships dock right in the middle of town, so it's easy to go into town on your own and shop.

We did the Back Country Zodiac Excursion, which was excellent! It was about a 15-minute ride to the Ketchikan Outdoor center, where we were fully-outfitted with cold-weather gear to go over what we were all ready wearing. Despite its being warm inside, the helpful guide kept reassuring us we were going to want all those layers when we were on the water – and she was right! So, in addition to all of my clothes (including my coat), I put on wool socks, rubber boots, full waterproof “bibs” (overalls), a raincoat, hat with face shield, inner gloves and waterproof outer gloves. We kept joking that we either felt like the abominable snowman or the Michelin man.

The boats each held four people, and there were ten people total in our group, so we started with two boats of four people and one boat of two people, bout our boat of four was too heavy and going slow. Our guide did a great job of “rafting up” the boats and had me crawl from one boat the other, which impressed everyone in the group (and actually felt pretty secure to me). Then we were really off! Anyone who wanted to could drive, and it was very easy: there was a throttle (lever that controlled the speed) and a steering wheel, and that was it! The guide did a great job of checking in with us to make sure we were comfortable driving, and communicated clearly with hand signals when to speed up, slow down, or “raft up” so he could talk to us.

Over the next 2 ½ hours we saw bald eagles, seals, the Oosterdam, Ketchikan, an Alaska Native island, and went about 18 miles total. Our guide was very knowledgeable, telling us about what we were seeing (including history and context), pointing out wildlife, and answering questions. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience, (and still would have been even if it was raining)!

zodiacs%20and%20oosterdam.jpg.html?filters[user]=59904488&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

That's me driving!

zodiacs%20and%20oosterdam.jpg.html?filters[user]=59904488&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Zodiacs and the Oosterdam

IMG_0653.jpg.html?filters[user]=59904488&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

Our guide.

eagle%20soaring.jpg.html?filters[user]=59904488&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3

Worth it for this photo alone. :D

I've finally started writing about last week's ports. As I'd previously reported, our weather was fabulous all week. We definitely needed layers of clothing because the weather did change “every five minutes:” warm enough for a t-shirt in the sun, but downright chilly in the shade with a breeze blowing while walking along the shore. I am very glad I packed sunscreen and sunglasses in addition to a wool hat and fleece-lined mittens, because I've used them all.

KETCHIKAN:

For many people, Ketchikan is the first city they visit in Alaska, the first place they spend money in Alaska, and the cruise industry's impact on town is evident. The cheap souvenir store Tongass Trading Post has FOUR locations in a town of 13,500 people, but I guess it pays off for the 1.1 million people that visit via ship each season. The cruise ships dock right in the middle of town, so it's easy to go into town on your own and shop.

We did the Back Country Zodiac Excursion, which was excellent! It was about a 15-minute ride to the Ketchikan Outdoor center, where we were fully-outfitted with cold-weather gear to go over what we were all ready wearing. Despite its being warm inside, the helpful guide kept reassuring us we were going to want all those layers when we were on the water – and she was right! So, in addition to all of my clothes (including my coat), I put on wool socks, rubber boots, full waterproof “bibs” (overalls), a raincoat, hat with face shield, inner gloves and waterproof outer gloves. We kept joking that we either felt like the abominable snowman or the Michelin man.

The boats each held four people, and there were ten people total in our group, so we started with two boats of four people and one boat of two people, bout our boat of four was too heavy and going slow. Our guide did a great job of “rafting up” the boats and had me crawl from one boat the other, which impressed everyone in the group (and actually felt pretty secure to me). Then we were really off! Anyone who wanted to could drive, and it was very easy: there was a throttle (lever that controlled the speed) and a steering wheel, and that was it! The guide did a great job of checking in with us to make sure we were comfortable driving, and communicated clearly with hand signals when to speed up, slow down, or “raft up” so he could talk to us.

Over the next 2 ½ hours we saw bald eagles, seals, the Oosterdam, Ketchikan, an Alaska Native island, and went about 18 miles total. Our guide was very knowledgeable, telling us about what we were seeing (including history and context), pointing out wildlife, and answering questions. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience, (and still would have been even if it was raining)!

That's me driving!

Zodiacs and the Oosterdam

IMG_0653.jpg.html?filters[user]=59904488&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

Our guide.

eagle%20soaring.jpg.html?filters[user]=59904488&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3

Worth it for this photo alone. :D

Thanks for the update on Ketchikan,

Your pictures format did not show, can't see the pictures.

Mary

So glad your trip is going wonderful and excited you posted about the zodiac boats we have that tour booked for our upcoming cruise the end of this month and really looking forward to it! Your weather has sounded picture perfect and hope it stays that way at least a couple more weeks!