First Alaska Oosterdam cruise of the season (LIVE)

JavaJunkie

Hello from the Oosterdam! My mom and I (early-60s and mid-30s) are doing the Vancouver round-trip and left May 10th, the first Alaska cruise of the season for this ship. We booked a Neptune Guarantee, and were assigned 7053 conveniently mid-ship and near the Neptune Lounge. I wanted to fill you all in on how things are going for us, and will continue to give reports as we go.

BACKGROUND: We live in Washington State south of Seattle, so we drove to the cruise terminal and parked in a pre. The cruise drop-off area was very poorly marked, but is actually in the Canada Place parking garage, and once you enter the garage you see signs. We followed the people directing traffic and backed the car up to the drop-off area, and the porters unloaded the luggage and checked it (I forgot my luggage tags, but he had extra). Then we were free to drive away; all we did was park the car, but it seems like we just as easily could have gone out and walked around the city for a while.

BOARDING: We arrived right at 11:30am, just as people were beginning to board. First we had our tickets and passports checked (I forgot my ticket but thankfully she had a list), then our carry-on bags were x-rayed while we passed through a metal detector. Next was US customs, where the Americans used the passport-reading machine and other nationalities met with a CBP agent. Then we filled out our health questionnaires (including Ebola questions) and were whisked into the priority line and checked in. There were several hundred non-priority people sitting in tightly-packed rows of chairs, and as I said, boarding had just started for us. We had our cards scanned to get on to the ship, but there wasn't any further checking of bags beyond customs weapon check.

ALCOHOL: HAL has recently changed their policy toward alcohol; they used to allow unlimited wine, and now limit it to one declared bottle of wine or sparking champagne per cruise per person. They have gone so far as to print the policy on luggage tags and signs in the departure terminal. That being said, carry-on luggage was not checked by the cruise ship, only US Customs (who care about weapons, not alcohol). At least some checked luggage was allowed to slip through with a six-pack of cans, and a six-pack of bottles individually wrapped in clothes. YMMV.

For those who want to keep it legal, the Oosterdam now stocks a wider selection of bottled beer than in the past, including the full “Alaskan” line. For me, a Northwest beer drinker, the very-hoppy Double IPA (8.8% ABV) was perfect, although I'm also looking forward to trying the Porter.

THE SHIP: There have been a number of reviews recently on this site that note how run-down and threadbare the ship is, so we have been studying things in detail. Yes, there is a loose tile in our bathroom floor, some hardware is worn, and we found chipped paint in a few places. This wear-and-tear has not detracted from our enjoyment of the cruise in any way, and in our opinion it's very possible to really enjoy the Oosterdam. We've eaten in Lido and the main dining room, and found the food served hot and flavorful – the Thai curry had a nice kick to it, and all the meat has been tender.

To be continued...

Hello from the Oosterdam! My mom and I (early-60s and mid-30s) are doing the Vancouver round-trip and left May 10th, the first Alaska cruise of the season for this ship. We booked a Neptune Guarantee, and were assigned 7053 conveniently mid-ship and near the Neptune Lounge. I wanted to fill you all in on how things are going for us, and will continue to give reports as we go.

BACKGROUND: We live in Washington State south of Seattle, so we drove to the cruise terminal and parked in a pre. The cruise drop-off area was very poorly marked, but is actually in the Canada Place parking garage, and once you enter the garage you see signs. We followed the people directing traffic and backed the car up to the drop-off area, and the porters unloaded the luggage and checked it (I forgot my luggage tags, but he had extra). Then we were free to drive away; all we did was park the car, but it seems like we just as easily could have gone out and walked around the city for a while.

BOARDING: We arrived right at 11:30am, just as people were beginning to board. First we had our tickets and passports checked (I forgot my ticket but thankfully she had a list), then our carry-on bags were x-rayed while we passed through a metal detector. Next was US customs, where the Americans used the passport-reading machine and other nationalities met with a CBP agent. Then we filled out our health questionnaires (including Ebola questions) and were whisked into the priority line and checked in. There were several hundred non-priority people sitting in tightly-packed rows of chairs, and as I said, boarding had just started for us. We had our cards scanned to get on to the ship, but there wasn't any further checking of bags beyond customs weapon check.

ALCOHOL: HAL has recently changed their policy toward alcohol; they used to allow unlimited wine, and now limit it to one declared bottle of wine or sparking champagne per cruise per person. They have gone so far as to print the policy on luggage tags and signs in the departure terminal. That being said, carry-on luggage was not checked by the cruise ship, only US Customs (who care about weapons, not alcohol). At least some checked luggage was allowed to slip through with a six-pack of cans, and a six-pack of bottles individually wrapped in clothes. YMMV.

For those who want to keep it legal, the Oosterdam now stocks a wider selection of bottled beer than in the past, including the full “Alaskan” line. For me, a Northwest beer drinker, the very-hoppy Double IPA (8.8% ABV) was perfect, although I'm also looking forward to trying the Porter.

THE SHIP: There have been a number of reviews recently on this site that note how run-down and threadbare the ship is, so we have been studying things in detail. Yes, there is a loose tile in our bathroom floor, some hardware is worn, and we found chipped paint in a few places. This wear-and-tear has not detracted from our enjoyment of the cruise in any way, and in our opinion it's very possible to really enjoy the Oosterdam. We've eaten in Lido and the main dining room, and found the food served hot and flavorful – the Thai curry had a nice kick to it, and all the meat has been tender.

To be continued...

Great to read this. Eager to hear about your port experiences and the ship and weather. Take good care of Oosterdam -- we board her as you get off on the 24th!

Where in Washington are you from? I grew up in Portland and SOOO miss the Pacific NW.

- Joel

We are boarding for the May 24th-14 day cruise. Our 6th cruise to Alaska. Have had emails from a friend and the weather is very pleasant. No jackets were needed as they enjoyed the tram in Juneau today. They are cruising on Norwegian. Sail away is getting close now!!! There has been no snow in the Juneau area this winter.

To be continued...

We are leaving end of May, thanks for the update, looking forward to reading more.

Mary

To be continued...

We are leaving end of May, thanks for the update, looking forward to reading more.

Mary

I'm a few days behind on posting because my mother runs a tight ship (pun intended) and has kept us busy. The good news is that the weather has been picture-perfect: clear blue skies, temperatures in the mid-60s, and lots of beautiful views on deck.

The only day that has started gray and overcast was the Inside Passage day, but that didn't stop people from congregating along the open railings with binoculars and cameras. Actually, it may have added to the ambiance to see the low clouds laying on the hills. It was chilly on deck, especially standing in one place with the wind blowing, and I was glad for my jacket, hat, and mittens. There were also plenty of wool blankets available that were a good size to wrap around your shoulders or cover your lap, and I laughed that they were much more popular than swim towels (even at the Lido pool with the dome closed). By noon the sun was out and I needed sunscreen and lightweight long sleeves.

I had decided to follow our progress cruising through the Inside Passage, and got several books and maps of the area. I was able to use the GPS on my phone to follow along with John Upton's map in the excellent book The Alaska Cruise Explorer. We brought our own copy, but it was also available in the gift shop, and the daily program features the route for the next day. We were so lucky Captain Henk Draper took the Johnson-Return Alternate Route, a much more “inside route”; as Joe Upton says, “Most large cruise ships will travel up the middle of the Hecate Strait. Occasionally ships will take one of the narrower and much more scenic channels through the mountain interior of British Columbia. If your ship takes one of these routes, consider yourself lucky.”

We did see two Orca whales from or balcony about 10:30am, several sea lions in the distance, and possibly a bald eagle. We discovered the downside of watching for wildlife from the balcony is that there's no commentary, and no one to help you spot them. When I was up on the observation deck there were 20 pairs of eyes, and someone in the Crow's Nest saw a whale spouting and pointed it out to the rest of us. I do think the cruise would be greatly improved if commentary were offered (like in the Panama Canal on the “bridge cam” channel, on some of the open decks, and in one public area). People were very interested in where we were, frequently asking to look at my books and get more info.

Edited by JavaJunkie

This is my first try at posting pictures to Cruise Critic, but here we go:

0514151519.jpg

We followed the red route!

DSC00039.jpg

Watching the Inside Passage.

Outstanding! Tell the captain to do the same in 2 weeks please.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outstanding! Tell the captain to do the same in 2 weeks please.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just from the look of your route, I would say that your Captain is Pieter Bos. He is an outstanding Captain and he really knows the waters of this voyage.