My NCL Email

I actually am so upset by not just the changes, but they way they are being handled, and the "social media flack" comment by the CEO that I just canceled my booking for 2016. Too bad, because I was very excited about the Escape. I just can't justify giving money to someone who is such a jerk about his past customer base and to a company that seems to delight in springing changes on people. At least the guests who follow the cruise forums have some idea but the people who don't? Man I would be livid if I did not get what I thought I paid for with no notice. And before you guys say "if you got as a perk you didn't pay for it" yeah I did. It's all figured into the fare. Before those perks came out the fare was a lot lower as I had originally booked it the month previous to when they offered this package. I only gained about $50 with the increased fare.

Great post I agree 100 percent!

Edited by knight2096

I think that if I am full after a meal, I don't eat dessert. Whether or not I "paid" for it or not isn't relevant. Basically it is their boat, their rules. Whether we as a consumer of their product chose to abide or not is our choice. Having been in the hospitality business for a number of years, I can tell you that room service is a royal pain. You can't schedule for it, and typically you have to pull someone away from another duty or job (usually a waiter) to cart up a tray. The room steward's carts aren't equipped to take care of dirty dishes, so they sit in the halls or worse pile up in the rooms. Again, this creates a sanitation issue and is more labor intensive because now, somebody has to clean up the mess and haul the dishes back to the commissary for cleaning. Regardless to what people think, there is a cost involved in doing in-room food. So to me, from a corporate and business standpoint asking people to consume food in a facility that was designed for consuming food and properly handle waste and sanitation, isn't unreasonable. I really doubt that asking people to eat in traditional eating venues is going to make the buffets more crowded. Most ships have multiple eating venues, they are open pretty much 24x7. If buffet A is crowded then dining room B or snack bar C most likely isn't. Talking about crowd control simply isn't realistic and isn't enough of a reason to reverse the rule.

I have to ask. Are you an NCL employee snuck in here to CC?

Reading through these, I have to say I am a little pleased with the attention that NCL is paying to these issues in the sense that they are personally replying to each correspondence.

I am displeased with their "canned response".

But I did notice the only time they actually reached out to the guests/customers was when they actually cancelled a vacation and attributed the cancellation with the fees. I saw that both in this thread as well as other threads here on CC>

So it got me thinking... When they make these changes, how do they measure the impact? And what will they do about it?

Seems to me, they will just deflect the real issue an assure you that your voice is heard. But they take it to the gut when money is pulled out from under them.

SO - Instead of writing a letter or sending an email that may fell on deaf ears (no I am not asking you to cancel your trip), but what if you got a few quotes, and put them on courtesy hold for a few days? Then call them back and tell them you decided to choose another cruise line due to policy changes that don't align with your idea of a cruise vacation. I personally think they would take that a little more serious than a well worded letter of displeasure - but you still continue to book with them. I would think they measure lost courtesy holds similar to cancellations, as there was a serious intent to book, and a choice made not to.

Just a thought...

SO - Instead of writing a letter or sending an email that may fell on deaf ears (no I am not asking you to cancel your trip), but what if you got a few quotes, and put them on courtesy hold for a few days? Then call them back and tell them you decided to choose another cruise line due to policy changes that don't align with your idea of a cruise vacation. I personally think they would take that a little more serious than a well worded letter of displeasure - but you still continue to book with them. I would think they measure lost courtesy holds similar to cancellations, as there was a serious intent to book, and a choice made not to.

Just a thought...

You really can't be serious. Since NCL monitors this site and you have just told them what folks might be doing, do you really think they would fall for it. I certainly understand folks being upset about a policy, but to purposely lie to try and get their complaint across, well that is pretty disingenuous. Suggestions like the one you made sure puts us members of Cruise Critic in a pretty poor light. Edited by NLH Arizona

You really can't be serious. Since NCL monitors this site and you have just told them what folks might be doing, do you really think they would fall for it. I certainly understand folks being upset about a policy, but to purposely lie to try and get their complaint across, well that is pretty disingenuous. Suggestions like the one you made sure puts us members of Cruise Critic in a pretty poor light.

It's not about falling for it, it's about getting their attention.

By that same logic, aren't we doing the same thing here right under their nose, providing e-mail addresses, sending letters, and then coming here copying and pasting our correspondence with them.

A not booked cruise is more impactful than a letter of complaint, but continuing to sail with them.

We can agree to disagree.... :)

Edited by twokids0204

It's not about falling for it, it's about getting their attention.

By that same logic, aren't we doing the same thing here right under their nose, providing e-mail addresses, sending letters, and then coming here copying and pasting our correspondence with them.

A not booked cruise is more impactful than a letter of complaint, but continuing to sail with them.

We can agree to disagree.... :)

Do you really think that, by posting this on Cruise Critic (alerting NCL to the fact that some might do this), you will be getting any kind of attention other than disdain from them, if you were to really do this? There is a difference between getting a company's attention and having a company believe that your intentions are honest.

Yes, we certainly can agree to disagree.

By limiting in-room dining to only room service, it is easier to track who "should" have trays and plates in their rooms or the hallway, thus it makes keeping things cleaner and more labor efficient. By controlling labor (costs) the line is able to operate more efficiently and be more profitable.

My underlying thought is that NCL really doesn't want to provide room service, period. Its costs the more in labor both with unpredictable delivery and with the clean up afterwards than it is really worth. I don't think that they are "forcing" people to use room service, but instead they are discouraging the use of room service in general. Simply put, if you put a price on something, people will look for value. If value is there, they will pay it and NCL wins by creating a trackable revenue stream, if they chose not to pay it then NCL wins still, because they don't have to pay the labor and absorb the cost of doing room service.

And I 100% agree! You have options and if this is a deal breaker for you, then by all means you should do what makes you the happiest. Doing that sends a much clearer message than writing emails or grinding it out on social media.

If they were trying to discourage RS they would not have added additional hot food items...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they were trying to discourage RS they would not have added additional hot food items...

....or banned food from the buffet to the room..............

This is all to make people use the $7.95 room service. OR maybe they will see room service requests go down so far that they will discontinue altogether!

This is all to make people use the $7.95 room service. OR maybe they will see room service requests go down so far that they will discontinue altogether!

Nope. Not going to happen.

Most people are on vacation and don't care about a few extra bucks.

This :D :p - << LIKE >> button

Or, will a daily environmental surcharge fee be imposed next for all - to finance a cleaner ship be next ?? Think for a moment & then ... it cannot be ruled out. ;) IMO - of course. Higher daily rates for Haven & Suites since extra team efforts are involved ?

For good measures, then throw in a sale - 50% off or no charge for 3 thru 8th. passengers. Darn it - I should be in sales & marketing brainstorming this at the office. Why does NCL charge $7.95 when our local Papa John Pizza only charge $2.00 per delivery, and their drivers actually have to drive to hand us a "hot" pizza ... nevermind, captives.

I received a phone call from NCL a few days after my email. I was not home and the rep left a rather long message (which sounded like she was reading from a script) that said pretty much what has already been said here. She did however say that "snack plates" would be allowed to be taken from the buffet but not full plates of food. :confused:

She left her name and number for me to call back if I wanted to discuss it further which I don't.

I received a phone call from NCL a few days after my email. I was not home and the rep left a rather long message (which sounded like she was reading from a script) that said pretty much what has already been said here. She did however say that "snack plates" would be allowed to be taken from the buffet but not full plates of food. :confused:

She left her name and number for me to call back if I wanted to discuss it further which I don't.

I'm really glad that you got a response, but what did you want her to say, other than the company stance on the issue?

I'm really glad that you got a response, but what did you want her to say, other than the company stance on the issue?

Nothing...I am just saying what happened to follow up on my original post. Sorry if I annoyed you.

So (for now) we can take small plates of food from the buffet. Don't know about anybody else, but that seems MORE likely to result in messes (with people overloading the small plates) than anything else. SMDH at the idiocies those folks down in Miami are coming up with. Talk about making stuff up as they go!

Nothing...I am just saying what happened to follow up on my original post. Sorry if I annoyed you.
Didn't annoy at all, just wondering since you said she read the company script and was wondering if there was anything she could have said that would bring more light to the issue. Edited by NLH Arizona

Didn't annoy at all, just wondering since you said she read the company script and was wondering if there was anything she could have said that would bring more light to the issue.

I thought the "snack plate" thing wasn't mentioned before...? Perhaps it was and I missed it.

I thought the "snack plate" thing wasn't mentioned before...? Perhaps it was and I missed it.
Maybe just me, but I assumed that I could take my snack (cookies or chips) back on a plate (especially the chips, since I don't think I would be able to carry them in my hands), but yes you might be correct as I'm not sure that any other NCL employee has used the term "snack plate"

Not necessarily so. Folks will assign a value to the menu offerings (which as we see here on this board, isn't much). Even by upping the offerings NCL as created a product that on the surface looks like it has value. They could not have realistically put out $7.95 as a carting fee, had they not added some value to the menu. Again, it isn't about the menu per se, it is about the value and being able to control what previously was a big unknown. They know that most people now won't order room service, regardless (a win for NCL). Those that do, have participated in the revenue stream (another win for NCL). Cost gets better controlled, labor gets reduced, ship stays a bit cleaner. Inconvenient and unpleasant to some for sure, but a small sample size in the larger picture.

They know that most people now won't order room service,

I am not so sure about that-the whole no food to your room is going to create a larger demand for room service-which I think was their goal to begin with.

I am not so sure about that-the whole no food to your room is going to create a larger demand for room service-which I think was their goal to begin with.

It will be interesting to see. I think if you use cc here as a bell weather, I would say that the chances of increased room service deliveries may not materialize. I would be really interested in seeing what an average ship does in room service. 1% of total guests? 5%? who knows? I think the folks that let the kids order a plate of snacks 3 - 4 times a day and those that order "a cup of coffee and a piece of toast", probably won't be doing that any more.

" a cup of coffee and a piece of toast". Those people will still order because those items fall under free room service. I think this is where they had to backpedal hard. I think it was their goal to get rid of this particular institution and so this is failing. Perhaps that is why they are not policing the policy. Another possibility is they made it a policy so they can crack down in the future if they feel it necessary while today using the policy as a threat against behaviors they want to see changed.

I actually am so upset by not just the changes, but they way they are being handled, and the "social media flack" comment by the CEO that I just canceled my booking for 2016. Too bad, because I was very excited about the Escape. I just can't justify giving money to someone who is such a jerk about his past customer base and to a company that seems to delight in springing changes on people. At least the guests who follow the cruise forums have some idea but the people who don't? Man I would be livid if I did not get what I thought I paid for with no notice. And before you guys say "if you got as a perk you didn't pay for it" yeah I did. It's all figured into the fare. Before those perks came out the fare was a lot lower as I had originally booked it the month previous to when they offered this package. I only gained about $50 with the increased fare.

Well said, that is exactly how many of us feel.