Sony Sony A6000 or Pani FZ1000 - opinions welcome

zelker

Great news! Costco literally just updated their site so that one can now order the A6000 bundle at the fabulous sale price and it will ship around June 11th which would give me a few weeks to get to know it before we go to Alaska. My only question is - this particular bundle apparently comes with the 18-55mm lens rather than the 16-50mm PZ. Other than size, will I notice much difference between the 18-55mm and the 16-50mm in IQ or autofocus speed?

zakiedawg - it said "sold" on the DP Review forum I ran across yesterday which was why I mentioned it. thanks for clarifying that it doesn't interfere with anything and will be something I will likely explore if I decide to keep the camera.

The 18-55 performs about the same as the 16-50. If anything it is a tiny bit sharper. I originally had one but switched to the 16-50 purely for the size. Both are better than average kit lenses.

Dave

I have a couple of unidentified aftermarket batteries that I got in my NEX-C3 bundle. They last about half as long as the OEMs under use and bleed power when stored, so caveat emptor on cheap brands. I also have a couple of Wasabi Power batteries with charger that I ordered from Amazon. I find that the Wasabi batteries seem to last about the same as the originals and retain power when not in use. I have also used Lenmar batteries for other cameras in the past and have had good luck with them. I don't use them for the NEX/Alpha cameras because of problems with electronic ID last time I checked for them. This may have changed but look out for the issue.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I'm literally charging my new Sony NPFW50 battery in my new Watson charger as I type this. :)

(And I will add how much I hate the fact that so many new cameras don't come with an external charger...)

Edited by Turtles06

Do you have that new camera tingle?

:)

Dave

OMG, yes, but I'm at work and it's in its box. I'm just charging the battery. :)

Probably won't be till this weekend (which at least is a long one) that I can play with it much!

I have a couple of unidentified aftermarket batteries that I got in my NEX-C3 bundle. They last about half as long as the OEMs under use and bleed power when stored, so caveat emptor on cheap brands. I also have a couple of Wasabi Power batteries with charger that I ordered from Amazon. I find that the Wasabi batteries seem to last about the same as the originals and retain power when not in use. I have also used Lenmar batteries for other cameras in the past and have had good luck with them. I don't use them for the NEX/Alpha cameras because of problems with electronic ID last time I checked for them. This may have changed but look out for the issue.

Dave

It was actually this Wasabi charger/battery kit on Amazon which led me to post the question. Is the ID issue you mention specific to the Lenmar batteries or to the Wasabis as well?

It was actually this Wasabi charger/battery kit on Amazon which led me to post the question. Is the ID issue you mention specific to the Lenmar batteries or to the Wasabis as well?

Just the Lenmar. I have had no issue with the Wasabi brand.

Dave

Zelker if you are on DPReview there is a long discussion on the Costco package

Thanks for the heads up about DPReview - hadn't thought to look specifically for info about the Costco bundle. And now I see there is a rumor that an A6000 replacement may be announced any day. Could be why they are discounting these kits so much at Costco.

Thanks for the heads up about DPReview - hadn't thought to look specifically for info about the Costco bundle. And now I see there is a rumor that an A6000 replacement may be announced any day. Could be why they are discounting these kits so much at Costco.

That rumor has been around for months, but now is picking up speed, which is what prompted my separate thread the other day about whether to pull the trigger now:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2209759

That rumor has been around for months, but now is picking up speed, which is what prompted my separate thread the other day about whether to pull the trigger now:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2209759

A refinement of the rumor is that the new release will be introduced as a NEX-7 replacement with additional features such as in-body stabilization. The A6000 will still be in the lineup for those who don't need/want the stabilization and probable additional bulk.

At any rate, the A6000 is still a fantastic camera and a bargain bundle makes it even shinier

Dave

The one feature I'd really like to see added would be a touchscreen.

Once you take a few minutes to customize the controls, you'll find that you will spend little additional time diving into the menus while using the camera.

Touch screens are handy in some cases but I really don't miss it on my A6000 except, possibly, when entering my Sony store password when purchasing or updating apps.

Besides, if the touch screen wasn't tied to the eyepiece/LCD auto-switch sensor, I'm sure my nose would become my greatest enemy.:)

Dave

Once you take a few minutes to customize the controls, you'll find that you will spend little additional time diving into the menus while using the camera.

I hope so; that's my plan for the weekend! I only had a little time last night after work --- as with any new camera, it took a little while just to find where in the menus Sony buried the "format memory card" command. :)

I have to say, the EVF is amazing. I did take some photos around the house; they look great on the camera's screen -- I'm looking forward to having the time to shoot this weekend and see how everything looks on the computer.

I've been collecting links to helpful videos and web sites with "tips" etc. about the a6000. Any particular ones you guys like?

I've had my A6000 for about 2 weeks now. This camera is so versatile. I have been shooting as much as possible to get familiar with all of its capabilities in preparation for my July cruises. I've been following the forum closely trying to pick up as many pointers as possible. Keep them coming and thanks for sharing them.

Reid

Finally got a chance to get hands-on with the A6000 today. In a word ... :D.

Two quick questions:

Is there a way to disable the automatic switching function between the EVF and LCD?

Is there a trick to easily turn the wheel to adjust the diopter for the EVF? I've never seen one that is almost embedded in the body like this one is and I couldn't get it to turn without using my fingernail as a screwdriver.

Thanks!

Two quick questions:

Is there a way to disable the automatic switching function between the EVF and LCD?

Menu > Settings (little gear) > Section 3 > FINDER/MONITOR

You can choose either Viewfinder, LCD or auto-switch.

Is there a trick to easily turn the wheel to adjust the diopter for the EVF? I've never seen one that is almost embedded in the body like this one is and I couldn't get it to turn without using my fingernail as a screwdriver.

Thanks!

I just use my thumb to rotate it by stroking up or down on the right edge of the little wheel while looking through the viewfinder. It turns easily (too easily sometimes, which is why I know well how to adjust it ;))

I find I get the best results by relaxing my eye, ignoring the scene in the viewfinder and adjusting until the info text is in sharp focus.

Enjoy your new little friend!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Menu > Settings (little gear) > Section 3 > FINDER/MONITOR

You can choose either Viewfinder, LCD or auto-switch.

I just use my thumb to rotate it by stroking up or down on the right edge of the little wheel while looking through the viewfinder. It turns easily (too easily sometimes, which is why I know well how to adjust it ;))

I find I get the best results by relaxing my eye, ignoring the scene in the viewfinder and adjusting until the info text is in sharp focus.

Enjoy your new little friend!

Dave

Thanks, Dave!

I've never seen one where the entire dial is exposed like that - usually it's just the ribbed edge that protrudes. Maybe the floor model had been fussed with too much, making it too hard to turn by doing what you describe (and what I expected it to do). .

Since the Auto feature is supposed to be a good thing (and it might be but the verdict is still out until I have a camera to play with around mid-June), if I turn the viewfinder/LCD to Off, is there's a button on the back of the camera to press to toggle?

Barb

Great place to learn step by step how to use and enjoy your A6000. I use this site to learn how to use my A6000, cost was $12.00 to watch all videos, but the A6000 was well done and easy to understand.

Go here and have a look

http://www.garyfong.com/videos/unleashing-power-your-sony-a6000

Tom :cool:

Hi, Tom - I actually found that video for free via the B&H web site. Will watch it once I have camera in hand. For others who may be interested, here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solution/unleashing-power-your-sony-a6000

Are there other A6000 videos on Gary's site or is that the only one?

Barb

Hi, Tom - I actually found that video for free via the B&H web site. Will watch it once I have camera in hand. For others who may be interested, here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solution/unleashing-power-your-sony-a6000

Are there other A6000 videos on Gary's site or is that the only one?

Barb

Go to Gary's site and his training video is much better and easier to work with than the one at B&h, guess that's why it's not free. Like you can pick a function button and he will show you what it used for and can do for you. CHECK IT OUT

Tom :cool:

Thanks, Dave!

I've never seen one where the entire dial is exposed like that - usually it's just the ribbed edge that protrudes. Maybe the floor model had been fussed with too much, making it too hard to turn by doing what you describe (and what I expected it to do). .

Since the Auto feature is supposed to be a good thing (and it might be but the verdict is still out until I have a camera to play with around mid-June), if I turn the viewfinder/LCD to Off, is there's a button on the back of the camera to press to toggle?

Barb

Menu > settings > section 6 > custom key settings

Any of the customizable keys can be set to "Deactivate Monitor". When set to auto, pushing the customized button will turn off the LCD image except for basic camera setting indicators.

Personally, I leave it on auto except when shooting in a dim environment where the bright LCD is annoying. For that I just set out to viewfinder only.

Dave