QE2 Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing Today

Transatlantic Tom

For all the traditionalists, QE2 is in New York today -Tuesday Septmber 13- setting sail later this afternoon for Southampton.

Strictly speaking this is not a seperate, distinct entity i.e. a stand alone crossing. It is the last leg of the 19-20 day cruise to Canada, New England & New York.

Nevertheless, for those of us who love her, QE2 will depart New York today on a now rare Eastbound Atlantic crossing.

Tom

You're welcome! Here's another view~:http://www.wirednewyork.com/webcam/

Peter

Peter:

That is a wonderful view. I can just make out the gangways still (as of 4:04PM US Central Time/5:04PM US Eastern Time) connecting the ship to Manhattan.

The tough part is that this is hard to watch, the QE2 about to set sail, knowing the passengers are up on deck...I can feel the excitement and I want to be there !!

Tom

I imagine QE2 and QM2 will pass each other somewhere in the North Atlantic tonight. What an incredible sight to behold, a pair of classic ocean liners, steaming past each other, their decks emblazoned with light under a sparkling sky.

Cruiserking

What a thing to experience. Where might this have occured...off Nantucket, Sable Island, Cape Cod, the coast of Maine ???

It would have been well worth getting out of bed for, whatever the hour !!

Tom

I wondered the same thing, if the two ships passed each other in the small hours of the morning or late at night and what their proximity to New York was. I think Martha's Vineyard is a fair guess. I wonder if the captain alerted the passengers.

At any rate I have stored the figment of that image in my permanent rotation of ship thoughts to help me while away the days till we board QM2 on January 3, 2006.

Cruiserking

Will be at work late and able to view her (from a very high floor with panaromic views) sailing from the Battery, past the SoL to the Narrows bridge.

Jeanne:

Just out of curiosity (and envy !!), did you end up getting of a good view of QE2 as she sailed out of NY harbor on Tuesday ???

Without asking you to give away your exact location, generally where were you when you were taking in this wonderful view- West Side, the Battery, NJ ???

Tom

Archived