least expensive way to see Mayan ruins?

racheltineo

Hello all, I am new to the forum :-) my name is rachel . I will be going on my 6th cruise and 2nd family cruise in November out of port Canaveral. I will be sailing with my husband and 3 year old son, and maybe my parent .

We will be stopping in cozumel and would love to see the ruins. I'm trying to keep my budget as tight as possible, so with that in mind can anyone recommend the least expensive way to see the ruins? Can I just take a taxi/bus there and walk around on my own or do I need to be with a group?

Thanks!

Edited by racheltineo

Assuming you mean the "small" ruins located on Cozumel the least expensive way is by taxi. No regular bus service on Cozumel.

Prices are listed on a board at each pier. There are thre piers in Cozumel which you will need to remember for your return when you need to board the ship. Taxi to San Gervasio is about $60 return for up to 4 people, ncluding waiting by driver at the ruins, (about 2 hours total). I would pay after return. Check price and arrangements with driver before you set off - he will probably be able to drop you downtown, San Miguel for shopping. You could then get another taxi after to the ship. If you are docked at Punta Langosta you will be able to walk back to ship.here is a link to taxi fares from Puerta Maya but there are links to other piers also on this site. The site also has a list of which pier you are scheduled to stop at, although this is always subject to last minute change.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Taxipuertamaya?From=Taxiczm

Entrance to ruins is about $10pp (paid in two halves). Only extras would be if you signed up for private guide, or take video, but they give you a short printed guide and it is quite easy to tour by yourself. Take water and bug spray.

If you are referring to the main ruins of Tulum, Chitzen etc. These are on the mainland and require complicated travel arrangements and should only be attempted through the ship if you are on a cruise vacation.

I second what C-legs says. You can do a DIY ruins tour to Tulum via the ferry and a collectivo, but you need to mind the ferry return times very carefully and be fully aware of your ship's time (not always the same as port time) for departure. You need to fully research in advance and have back up plans. Even with a cruise ship excursion it is a very long day and migth not be suitable for a very small child.

if you are stopping in Belize, then you can do a tour of Altun Ha via private vendor or cruise ship. It's an impressive site for those never seeing Mayan ruins before. And it can be accomplished inside 4 hours depending on add ons or others on the tour. So go over tot he Belize board and look up reviews there.