Trains with BIRG ticket

ican82

Just to set the record straight the actual stock (train cars and engines) on the Veloce (fast) trains are exactly the same as on the regular trains. The only difference is that the Veloce trains make fewer stops so are actually a little faster (10-15 min into Rome). In practice you just hop on the next Regionale train whether it is a Veloce or plain Regionale. However, those BIRG tickets do not work on any train market "Intercity" or "Frecciabianca" which are much nicer and faster trains which require reservations (and a reserved seat) and cost more then twice the price of the basic Regionale trains. We always suggest that folks going between Civitavecchia and Rome not waste their time or money dealing with the intercity trains. Not only do they run much less often, cost more then double, do not work with the BIRG ticket, but they are often running late. This is because those intercity trains (especially the ones heading towards Rome) are coming from a long distance and have a tendency to get behind in their schedule. We have seen cruisers go through the trouble of buying tickets/reservations on the 9:18 Intercity only to find themselves standing on the platform a long time while others are already in Rome via the slower Regionale trains.

Hank

Thank you Hank. I was considering booking the IC train, as there are many ships in port that day, but you have shown me the downside of that idea. We will stick with the regular trains and just try to get off the ship as early as possible.

Thank you Hank. I was considering booking the IC train, as there are many ships in port that day, but you have shown me the downside of that idea. We will stick with the regular trains and just try to get off the ship as early as possible.

If you are among the first off the ship and have a little luck getting a shuttle bus you might well make one of the Regionale trains that departs at 7:44 or 7:58. These trains will have you in Rome more than an hour before you would get there on the more expensive Intercity. Even the 8:42 Regionale gets you into Rome before that intercity.

Hank

How long is the entire trip from the ship to the Rome train station? Is there any difference in the duration going the opposite direction?

1.) Depending on the type of train, it takes about 50-70 minutes. That's just for the train ride. You also have to factor in the amount of time to get from your ship to the train (or vice versa).

2.) No.

The current situation in getting from your ship's pier to the Civitavecchia train station has been made somewhat slower (and more complicated) because of the ongoing construction project that has closed the main port entrance to most traffic. They currently use an auxiliary port entrance/exit gate which is about 1 mile from the train station (as compared to the regular port entrance which is only a few blocks from the train station). So one does need to allow a little more time moving between the ship and train station. While it is certainly still possible to walk from the port to the train station, apparently many prefer to utilize a local bus.

We also suggest taking a good look at the various Rome train stations in conjunction with your personal itinerary. The main train station (called Termini) is actually one of the most distinct stations from Civitavecchia. The Regionale trains move rather slowly through the convoluted track system within the city so it can take about 20 minutes to go from the S. Pietro Station (closest station to the Vatican) to the Termini station. If you are planning on starting your day at the Vatican it can make a lot of sense to hop off the train at S. Pietro rather then spending another 20 min going to Termini and then using the Metro to get back over to the Vatican. I am only posting this to encourage folks to look at the location of the various stations vis-a-vis where you want to go.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The current situation in getting from your ship's pier to the Civitavecchia train station has been made somewhat slower (and more complicated) because of the ongoing construction project that has closed the main port entrance to most traffic. They currently use an auxiliary port entrance/exit gate which is about 1 mile from the train station (as compared to the regular port entrance which is only a few blocks from the train station). So one does need to allow a little more time moving between the ship and train station. While it is certainly still possible to walk from the port to the train station, apparently many prefer to utilize a local bus.

We also suggest taking a good look at the various Rome train stations in conjunction with your personal itinerary. The main train station (called Termini) is actually one of the most distinct stations from Civitavecchia. The Regionale trains move rather slowly through the convoluted track system within the city so it can take about 20 minutes to go from the S. Pietro Station (closest station to the Vatican) to the Termini station. If you are planning on starting your day at the Vatican it can make a lot of sense to hop off the train at S. Pietro rather then spending another 20 min going to Termini and then using the Metro to get back over to the Vatican. I am only posting this to encourage folks to look at the location of the various stations vis-a-vis where you want to go.

When is the construction project supposed to be completed?

Hi. I will apologize in advance if I have posted this question in the wrong place. I see that both Hank and cruisemom (who have a wealth of knowledge) are posting here so thought I'd take advantage.

We will be stopping in Livorno on November 1st which is an Italian holiday. We are planning to make our way on our own to Pisa. I had read somewhere that we can get from Livorno Centrale to Pisa Centrale using a regional train ticket that we can buy in advance in Rome and validate in Livorno just before we use it. This would save us the long line ups to purchase our tickets at the Livorno station. Does anyone have experience doing this and if so which train ticket do we purchase etc?

I've also read that getting from the port to the Livorno station can be chaotic...no taxis willing to drive us the short distance and shuttle bus only goes to city centre requiring us to find our way to the train station.

Any tips on how best to make this journey? There will be four of us.

Your help is much appreciated.

Diane

The BIRG is a ticket only for Rome and the immediate area.

For Livorno to Pisa you purchase a ticket from Trenitalia, in any train station ticket office or machine. It is a regional ticket so it's not for a specific train, therefore it's critical that you validate the ticket before boarding the train.

And so the dilemma of the Port of Livorno continues :). We totally agree with Euro Cruiser that a taxi is the best option (by far) to get between the port and train station. Unfortunately the taxis are also aware of this fact but could care less :(. So I will repeat (for the umteenth time) my taxi strategy. It is far from a perfect strategy but is about as good as it gets (unless Euro has come up with a better idea).

This is a situation where the early bird usually gets the taxi! There are only a limited number of taxis at the port and nearly all are looking for a long haul (such as to Florence) or a full day hire! There are a few taxis that do prefer to stay in Livorno and do the short hauls, but operative word is "few." So to increase your chances of getting a taxi to the station and reduce your waiting time it is wise to be among the first off the ship as soon as its cleared. DW and I have actually been among the first 10 off the ship a few times :). So you hustle off the ship, walk directly to the taxi queue, and politely (but assertively) ask for a taxi to take you to the stazione (station). Maybe a taxi will take you and maybe they will all shrug and say no. When that happens be very polite (but assertive) and ask if they can call another taxi to come take you to the station.

Sometimes (most of the time) there will be one Italian man at the taxi area who seems to take charge and organize things. If you spot anyone taking on that role make sure he also knows you want a taxi to the station. Most of the time we are on our way to the station is less than 15 min. Other times it can get frustrating but you just have to keep making your presence known. At this time of day you have no other options as the shuttle bus to the center of town does not normally run until at least 8:30! The cost of a taxi from the port to the station is normally about 25 Euros (per taxi) and most will specify a fixed fee and not run the meter (which would be less than 25 Euros).

You also have to deal with getting back to the port in the afternoon. The taxi situation at the station is totally different then at the port. There is a taxi queue directly outside the main station entrance, but most of the time there are only a few taxis. These taxis will have no problem taking you to the ship. Most of time these taxis will run the meter and if they do the fare should be no more then 20 Euros. But you need to get one of the few taxis and its first come first serve. So be among the first off the train, walk as fast as you can and get to the main entrance. If there is a taxi do not hesitate (or somebody else will take it). If you miss all the taxis you must just wait until more come to the station which is a good reason why you should always get back to Livorno with at least an hour to spare before you must be at the ship.

Hank