How to travel light on an Alaskan cruise

Geonerd

I'm looking at a cruise starting in Anchorage and ending up in Vancouver then locations further south. I'll be hiking in Denali for a couple days and going on some side fishing trips. Ideally I want to take one carry-on bag and a small back-pack/brief case so I can carry all my own stuff and be able to move about easily between train stops etc. What worries me is the need for dress clothes/shoes aboard the cruise ship. Packing a sport coat (or even a tuxedo!) adds a lot of space and weight. I'd appreciate any packing suggestions. Or should us back-packer types avoid cruise ships altogether? It's my first time on a cruise. Thanks so much!!

Edited by Geonerd

Most of the time, there are buffets that you can dine at (or other alternative dining) so you don't need to bring formal clothes.

Definitely pursue a cruise. If you can bring khakis and a polo or sweater, you will be fine as long as you you don't mind informal dining elsewhere on 2 nights of the cruise (formal nights).

I usually wear khakis and sweaters most nights on a cruise.

Edited by Coral

I'm looking at a cruise starting in Anchorage and ending up in Vancouver then locations further south. I'll be hiking in Denali for a couple days and going on some side fishing trips. Ideally I want to take one carry-on bag and a small back-pack/brief case so I can carry all my own stuff and be able to move about easily between train stops etc. What worries me is the need for dress clothes/shoes aboard the cruise ship. Packing a sport coat (or even a tuxedo!) adds a lot of space and weight. I'd appreciate any packing suggestions. Or should us back-packer types avoid cruise ships altogether? It's my first time on a cruise. Thanks so much!!

A sport coat doesn't need to be packed. Wear it for traveling. I do.

We did Alaska with a carry-on and personal item, no problem.

Absolutely, leave the formal stuff at home and plan on eating in the Lido (buffet) on formal nights, or get room service. Most cruiselines permit jeans in the dining room on other than formal nights (with a nice button up or polo shirt), so you wouldn't need to always eat in the Lido and/or room service unless you wanted to. We almost never eat in the MDR, even on non-formal nights - always in the Lido - just our preference, and not a priority for us. I prefer to be able to get a quick meal, and then get back out on deck to scan the seas for wildlife and enjoy the beautiful Alaskan scenery. Also take advantage of your ship's laundry service (or self-service laundry if your ship has it). On HAL ships, for a week cruise it is $49/per cabin for unlimited laundry service. You can send out a bag of laundry every day. Best bargain on the ship! Or you can take advantage of their $20/stuff a bag of laundry if that is preferable. That way you only need to pack for 4 or 5 days - trust me, no one cares if you wear an article of clothing twice;). Have a great time - you will just be enchanted by the Great Land!

Thanks Coral! It seems that the 'informal' cruises such as National Geographic are way beyond my budget!

Alaska is less formal than Caribbean cruises. Alaska attracts a lot of first time cruisers who really don't like dressing up or don't own a lot of formal attire.

Many cruise lines even accept jeans at night now.

I know on Princess, you can dine in the buffet, speciality dining rooms (steakhouse or Italian), pizzeria or international cafe in jeans. You won't go hungry!

I wear jeans during the day and then change at night to khakis at night. I used to bring formal attire but no longer do. If I have to miss the dining room 2 nights on a 7-10 night cruise because I don't bring formal clothes is not a big deal. Cruises are moving more and more less formal.

Unless you go for the high end cruise lines (Silversea, Crystal, etc) , you will be fine. Princess has laundromats on their ships (if you are packing light and doing land trips before hand). Others do laundry in Seward, AK or other land ports before they get on the ship.

Most cruisers in Alaska are focused on Alaska - not other people's clothing.

Don't worry; once you're on board you'll quickly work out what you're most comfortable doing.

Good to know!

We packed all our stuff into carry ons in the Caribbean. You just have to roll instead of fold. My first cruise I took a suit. Now I just take one pair of Khakis and two bottom up or polo shirts. No one cares what you're wearing. A couple pairs of jeans, a couple shirts and a hoodie. The most clothing is underwear and socks, unless you wash during the cruise.

Edited by doneinne

We're carry-on champs. The missus and I and our mothers have cruised Alaska, New England, Norway and the Baltic -- all minimum 14 nights, packing a formal outfit and never more than the carry-on and personal item. My small backpack was basically just rolled underwear, socks and a laptop, while the carry-on had a suit and the rest of the clothes. There's a great video on YouTube from a travel company that shows the techniques to pack for two weeks in a carry-on...including a suit.

Edited by dheianevans

It's good to know that it's possible get by with only a carry-on and that formal dress isn't an absolute. Thanks for all the tips..I'm learning the science of efficient packing from youtube videos!

Good to know!

I had my fears assuaged like this. But then.....

I think I came close to being kicked out of the casual restaurant (O'Sheehans) on a Norwegian cruise by the hotel director for wearing a brand new souvenir Yukon t-shirt on the day we were in Skagway. I thought that restaurant was completely casual and the shirt was completely innocent, something about how a bear looks in the dark in the Yukon (eyes and mouth), but getting stared down by the hotel director was a little crappy. He didn't say why he was doing it, just looked me up and down and gave me the stink-eye. And no I'm not cyclops or anything.

But yes, you can probably eat in the buffet, wearing anything. However, after my stare-down experience, I felt entirely too self-conscious even there. And I side-stepped the hotel director after that.

Have you ever considered using the Alaska ferries to get to your ports? They are completely casual, no formal nights at all. I would altogether avoid the cruises if you have any doubts at all about your comfort with dressing for the cruise.

Edited by TATraveler

I had my fears assuaged like this. But then.....

I think I came close to being kicked out of the casual restaurant (O'Sheehans) on a Norwegian cruise by the hotel director for wearing a brand new souvenir Yukon t-shirt on the day we were in Skagway. I thought that restaurant was completely casual and the shirt was completely innocent, something about how a bear looks in the dark in the Yukon (eyes and mouth), but getting stared down by the hotel director was a little crappy. He didn't say why he was doing it, just looked me up and down and gave me the stink-eye. And no I'm not cyclops or anything.

There is a difference between casual and a t-shirt on a cruise. A polo probably would not have gotten you the stare.

It's good to know that it's possible get by with only a carry-on and that formal dress isn't an absolute. Thanks for all the tips..I'm learning the science of efficient packing from youtube videos!

Oh my goodness. I haven't come close to learning this. My husband and I are such terrible over packers it's ridiculous. Lol! 2 big suitcases each and a carry on!!

paulajj

I am with you...I try hard not to over pack but it causes me too much stress :) I will be happy with just 2 large, 1 roll on and my computer bag

I'm with both of you! I just wouldn't be able to survive a 14+ day trip with just a carryon and backpack! For the two of us, I'm hoping to get by on our trip with one large suitcase for the ship and another large suitcase for the land tour. If I'm able to do this I will consider it a HUGE success! :D

Edited by DentoAlaska

Pack one pair of khakis, a long-sleeved dress shirt (dark color) and a necktie. Takes the same space as jeans and a polo, and is 10x as formal.

After dinner, go hang them back up and put your jeans back on, so you can wear them again. We find it the perfect compromise. The dark-colored dress shirt makes it more formal than a light blue or plaid shirt that seems more business-casual office attire.

DH wears soft shoes (mocassins, actually, but not fuzzy or fleece lined). They are similar to boat shoes or docksiders, but easier to pack. He wears them with dark socks to dinner, and then as slippers back in the cabin. Double duty, easy to pack. Score!

I'm with both of you! and another large suitcase for the land tour. If I'm able to do this I will consider it a HUGE success! :D

You might want to research this....if you are on a normal cruisetour, the land portion is "luggage limited". IOW, they ask you to reduce your needs to a carry-on each while they load the large bags on a truck to deliver to you when you arrive at your last hotel or the ship, depending on which direction you are traveling. Northbound or southbound.

You might want to research this....if you are on a normal cruisetour, the land portion is "luggage limited". IOW, they ask you to reduce your needs to a carry-on each while they load the large bags on a truck to deliver to you when you arrive at your last hotel or the ship, depending on which direction you are traveling. Northbound or southbound.

Thanks for the suggestion I checked into it. I was told by the princess rep that everyday the large case will be loaded and trucked to our next stop and to keep only our "needs" for the day in a daypack that we will carry with us. I was also informed that each passenger was allowed a large suitcase.

If I received false information from the rep (imagine that?!?!?), please pipe in and let me know. It would be a shock if we had to go 7 days with just a small carry on. I would NEVER be able to do that.