Rental Car from Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral

jackhall226

As always we're flying into Orlando a day early for our cruise. Already have a hotel booked for the one night at the Radisson at the Port. In past trips we've always made arrangements with shuttle companies from the airport to the hotel. This year I want to rent a car at the airport and then turn it in the morning of the cruise. Any advise or suggestions?

As always we're flying into Orlando a day early for our cruise. Already have a hotel booked for the one night at the Radisson at the Port. In past trips we've always made arrangements with shuttle companies from the airport to the hotel. This year I want to rent a car at the airport and then turn it in the morning of the cruise. Any advise or suggestions?

The Captain has a very useful map of rental car agencies in the Port Canaveral area:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46477988&postcount=5

Be advised: you will encounter two tolls between MCO and the Canaveral area.

tollmap_zps821b25c5.jpg

you can 'opt in' to electronic tolling via the rental company and zip thru the electron lanes (stay left) and possibly save a few minutes, or

you can pay cash. There are manned lanes with change and receipts and exact change lanes .... stay RIGHT .... the toll plaza looks like an exit to some so watch the signs. $2 in quarters should have you covered.

I have seen a queue of over a dozen cars at the attended lanes and sitting there for 3 minutes CAN seem like an eternity as you watch other fly by. The exact change lane zips fast BUT you did have to stop while the electron lane means you don't need to slow a bit.

Your choice.

Most of the major agencies have offices near the port in PC or Cocoa Beach and offer free shuttles to the port. We typically use Avis (more for a corporate rate than anything else) and have been happy with the service. Compare rates, search for coupons, and find the best deal for your dates.

I'm doing this, too. I'm very familiar with Orlando as I lived there for 5 years and my daughter is now going to school at UCF. We, thankfully, have family we can stay with in the area so the rental car is the best way to go. I booked with Budget through Southwest for the points. I have rented with a few different car rental companies since DD went to school last fall and I was visiting her. All of them that have cars at the terminal are very convenient. I don't like using the agencies off site because it always seems like an unnecessary hassle to wait for a shuttle to get to the agency and then wait in a long line to get the car. I'll pay $5/day more to avoid that scenario! I also usually pay the fee for the electronic tolls upfront. The way I travel around Orlando I got LOTS of tolls and it really is a stress-reliever and timesaver to know I don't have to worry about having cash for tolls. YMMV

Just be aware the rental offices in Cape Canaveral are small local offices and they are busy on the mornings that cruise ships are there. Don't plan on a quick in and out. I also found out the hard way at Budget that you don't have to stand in the big long line to return a car, you can go to the counter to the left as you face it.

Just be aware the rental offices in Cape Canaveral are small local offices and they are busy on the mornings that cruise ships are there. Don't plan on a quick in and out. I also found out the hard way at Budget that you don't have to stand in the big long line to return a car, you can go to the counter to the left as you face it.

Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking of getting to PC to drop off the rental around 10ish if all goes well. Hopefully, we can get on the ship around 12:30 or 1 pm.