Food Quality

Glad to hear this as off on Black Watch from Liverpool on 12th July. First time with Fred so will be very interesting. Any other differences we should be aware of?
I am a great fan of Fred, but the only downside is that the food is not available all day like other cruise lines. It is more like a full board hotel, but room service is FREE :):) and I have to agree that the food is very good :)

Hi Kruzseeka,

Just back on Tuesday after a brilliant if hectic fortnight. Weather was fantastic the whole time and Saga's organisation was amazing. Did the Archaeological Museum on day 3 as part of the Island tour of Santorini, then Akrotiri as a half day in week 2 when back from Paros and Naxos, but had the same local guide for both so he was able to make connections between the two for us.

To return to a nautical theme, can recommend Blue Star Ferries 'Delos'.

Max speed, 26 knots, Passenger capacity, 2.400, Vehicle capacity, 430. Bigger and faster than anything Thomson have! Not what you imagine when thinking about Greek ferries!

So pleased you had such a good time. We watched the ferries going out of Thira - interesting and surprising to hear your comments. The ferries might be petty good but my goodness the airport is something else though! What a fiasco! Still the island was brilliant.

Not be long until you're off again. Enjoy - Fred is getting good reviews so have a great time. :)

Looks like someone's got their identity's mixed up again :o

two for one in the same post :D

Bra learns to talk posh and knickers kindly edits the bottom of the page for Bra :D

Maybe they share the same ,posh ,country club ... Tally ho ,etc :cool::D

this post

One might think that, but one could not possibly comment !!!

So pleased you had such a good time. We watched the ferries going out of Thira - interesting and surprising to hear your comments. The ferries might be petty good but my goodness the airport is something else though! What a fiasco! Still the island was brilliant.

Not be long until you're off again. Enjoy - Fred is getting good reviews so have a great time. :)

Thanks Kruzseeka.

Have to agree about the airport. The flight we were returning on arrived half an hour early into Santorini, yet left over 1 hour late due to "congestion" at check in!

Looking forward very much to experiencing Fred and will report back on our return.

Its always amazes me how we all have different ideas, we have a very similar cruise history as yourself but take three or four cruises a year mostly with Thomson , just returned last week from the Dream and felt the quality and choice had improved from last October. We were told that they had new caterers and although we have never had a problem in the past felt it had improved but that is just our opinion and yes we do enjoy going out to a good restaurant .

As I say just our opinion

Its always amazes me how we all have different ideas, just returned last week from the Dream and felt the quality and choice had improved from last October.

Obviously pension cruiser we have a different quality threshold

Oh Dear.

I love watching the different opinions flare up.

Gives me giggles.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
go L Y N N

We do enjoy quality food. Did you visit the three speciality restaurants? We found them most enjoyable with a good variety of menus.

I am beginning to wonder if Thomson have two ships named Dream and we have always been lucky with being on the good one.

Looks like someone's got their identity's mixed up again :o

two for one in the same post :D

Bra learns to talk posh and knickers kindly edits the bottom of the page for Bra :D

Maybe they share the same ,posh ,country club ... Tally ho ,etc :cool::D

this post

Well spotted lol

Its always amazes me how we all have different ideas, we have a very similar cruise history as yourself but take three or four cruises a year mostly with Thomson , just returned last week from the Dream and felt the quality and choice had improved from last October. We were told that they had new caterers and although we have never had a problem in the past felt it had improved but that is just our opinion and yes we do enjoy going out to a good restaurant .

As I say just our opinion

i'm with you pc.. i agree....we also thought the food had improved when we were on dream at christmas (since the previous christmas)

there were many reports on here (during 2014) that food quality had deteriorated a lot on dream (cornish pasties/pork wellington/crab stick thermidor)

people started to report improvements this last december (after the new agency took over) hopefully that is still the case?

i guess each cruise is unique.... each person is unique (especially when it comes to food)

My last 2 cruises have been on Royal Caribbeans Quantum of the Seas & Anthem of the Seas. Now THAT'S LIVING. Good food, entertainment, friendliness, service, amenities, loyalty bonus's and LUXURY. Have cruised with Thomsons 11 times, but.....

We do enjoy quality food. Did you visit the three speciality restaurants? We found them most enjoyable with a good variety of menus.

I am beginning to wonder if Thomson have two ships named Dream and we have always been lucky with being on the good one.

Himself and me always have different ideas on food, football, life... so it is no wonder that strangers can not agree. We always find the food to be good. Sometimes great only one time was it poor and that was on the first day and every one was heading for lunch at the same time.

i'm with you pc.. i agree....we also thought the food had improved when we were on dream at christmas (since the previous christmas)

there were many reports on here (during 2014) that food quality had deteriorated a lot on dream (cornish pasties/pork wellington/crab stick thermidor)

people started to report improvements this last december (after the new agency took over) hopefully that is still the case?

i guess each cruise is unique.... each person is unique (especially when it comes to food)

Agree - food has improve since Autumn 2014 on Thomson Dream and Celebration

Edited by Huddersfieldtourist

We found the food to be much improved when on the Dream in May 2014 than the year before. You got given a separate dish of vegetables along with the main courses in the Orion.

But I honestly felt standards were not the same when it came to catering on the Majesty last month. Cheap pats of butter, white synthetic cream, horrible bacon and coffee from the machines in the buffet. Two little mussels and a lettuce leaf for starter, one cheese croquette for starter. I think they are cost cutting. They also had dropped the salad course. We used to ask for this to be served along with our main course. The speciality restaurants were great though.

Got to put my two penny worth in about the food. Haven't really considered Thomson for a while now as we thought the food in the restaurant on Celebration in May last year was poor. We ended up eating in the speciality restaurant three times - which was lovely so they do know what good food is! We have since cruised with Celebrity and Cunard with much superior food. BUT I do love everything else about Thomson and want to go back so I am desperate to hear that there have been big improvements in food standards.