Puerto Rico or Bermuda???

Forensicmom

We are torn on what to do for a last minute vacation in July this year. We're a family of 6. One son (who will be 21 at cruise time) and we have 3 girls (16, 14, 10). However, the other cruises our girls wants NOTHING to do with the kids clubs or any kids activities.

1. Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan to Barbados, St kitts, St Lucia, St Thomas & St Maarten on Carnival Liberty (7 nights)

2. Just stay in Puerto Rico at a resort for 6 nights

3. Cruise on Celebrity Summit from NJ to Bermuda (7 nights)

I can't decide.

I would NOT do Bermuda....I just find there's not enough to interest young adults and teens...

I'd rather do the S. Caribbean, but the resort would work, too....

Edited by cb at sea

Those are very different itineraries. The Southern Carib. Cruise sounds quite port intensive. If your family is into lots of exploring and being in new places every day this is your pick.

If you do a resort in Puerto Rico will you stay put or venture out? If you're staying put this is like on the opposite end of the spectrum from the S Carib cruise.

I assume if you do the NJ cruise you will be driving to port. This is so different from flying to Puerto Rico for many reasons and involves less hassle and possibly less cost, although maybe not, I haven't looked at airfare lately.

I disagree that there isn't anything to do in Bermuda, it really depends on your family's interests. If you're all into golfing or beaches or snorkeling or higher end shopping or any other things Bermuda offers this may be a good bet for you.

What type of vacation is your family looking for?

Thanks. We're really looking for some relaxation with a little bit of exploring. We like the beach and water activities and anything else we come across but nothing specific we want to do. However my girls did like the idea of zip lining in Puerto Rico.

I don't agree there's nothing to do in Bermuda. In fact, as much as I love the S. Caribbean and those islands, I'd pick Bermuda.

First, you can only sail to Bermuda in the summer. Liberty's route is a great winter destination.

Second, the Liberty's islands are great, but it's a lot of coordination to get on and off the ship at that many ports and find something everyone wants to do. That doesn't sound like it would be relaxing.

As for the hotel, I think that would be the most boring unless your kids are content just sitting by the pool or staying at the beach.

We've been to Bermuda twice, once with our dd and once without. Since you don't have to be back to the ship by any particular time (except for the last day) you can explore and split up in different groups if you want to. There are great beaches that are easy to get to, active pursuits like biking trails, hiking, kayaking, SUP, sailing, snorkeling, etc, as well as museums, forts, and caves. If all else fails, you could stay on the ship - but that's not what I'd do in Bermuda.

That's just my 2 cents. Everyone has a different opinion, but I'm sure whatever you do it will be great with all of your family together.

Edited by travelhound

While I am an extremely dedicated cruiser - we also LOVE Puerto Rico. This would be my recommendation:

Day 1 Arrive in PR. Rent a car at Charlies. Drive out to El Conquistador Resort - Fabulous! It has very nice rooms, beautiful pools and water park, golf course and private island with gorgeous beach. Not an extremely far drive to restaurants(same as US - KFC, Golden Coral) and Kmart, etc. We found food at the resort expensive - splurged a few times, but mostly ate out. The resort has levels on a mountainside - it is just beautiful to explore.

Day 2 Buy supplies for a small picnic lunch. Be sure to take a couple of backpacks. Drive to El Yunque Rainforest 30+ mins from resort. Stop at the visitor's center. Climb the tower. Stop for photos at the waterfalls along the road. Hike the long trail to the large waterfall for a refreshing swim. Have your picnic either going to or coming from the falls. Their are stopping points along the trail or eat at the falls. MUST DO: Bio Bay - less than 10 minutes from the resort. Be SURE to check the moon calendar to visit at the optimal time. This is a once-in-a-lifetime - awesome trip. Take the later tour. Kayak to the lagoon to witness the incredible "glowing" water. I highly recommend making reservations with kayakingpr.

Day 3 Drive to Yunke Zipline - really fun - 20 mins from resort. Morning tour and zip is awesome. Take swimming clothes. After zipline - (2-3 hours) - stop at the Loquillo food kiosks to sample lots of local food.(Search Yelp for great tips). Eat on Loquillo Beach.

Day 4 Relax for the entire day at the resort. Waterslides, golf, volleyball, - lots to explore.

Day 5 Transfer to hotel in Old San Juan. Ride the free trolley around town. Visit the forts. There is also a really nice walk along the paseo de la princesa - beautiful walk with fountain and continue along the water's edge outside the city wall.