port canaveral to Universal Studios

jbiz

so i am sure this has been asked 1000 times, but as i try to search for it not really finding any good information.

I will be traveling next week with my family (4 adults + 4 children) on the Gem and Monday we dock in Port of Orlando around noon (departing 9:30pm).

We are planning to go to universal studios for the day and it seems that transportation via the cruise line for all of us will be a about $500+ ($79 for adults, $49 for kids)

somehow that just seems crazy and getting a private van would make more sense..

can anyone post about experiences doing that (good or bad) or recommendations if you have used a 3rd party for transportation.

thanks!

Edited by jbiz

By the time you get of the ship and get into the park is about 2hrs minimum. Maybe you will have 5 hrs in the park.

It's a real tight, rushed & expensive day.

It's 60 miles to UNIVERSAL from the port. Personally it is a waste of a day.

Most people who do Universal or Disney feel this way. We were on the Breakaway. We were with friends who went to universal and wished they didn't.

We went to Kennedy space center. Shorter ride. Unreal experience, and plenty of time to see all of this amazing facility.

Just my 2cents

I agree; I've been to the parks a lot, and 5-6 hours would not be worth the time and expense to me. Much of your time at Universal is going to be waiting in lines (unless you shell out big bucks for VIP passes); unless you're there on a slow day, you'll likely only have time for a handful of attractions, if that. Unless your heart is really set on seeing something in particular, like the Harry Potter attractions, you might be better off skipping the Orlando theme parks.

I agree; I've been to the parks a lot, and 5-6 hours would not be worth the time and expense to me. Much of your time at Universal is going to be waiting in lines (unless you shell out big bucks for VIP passes); unless you're there on a slow day, you'll likely only have time for a handful of attractions, if that. Unless your heart is really set on seeing something in particular, like the Harry Potter attractions, you might be better off skipping the Orlando theme parks.

well assuming universal is happening... maybe i look at the VIP passes so its not a total waste

There are two options. If you don't care about Harry Potter, you can get an Express Pass for ~$50 (on top of park admission), which allows you to use much shorter lines.

If you do care about Harry Potter, the only option to avoiding long lines is the VIP Experience: https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/VIP-Experience.aspx

By the time you get of the ship and get into the park is about 2hrs minimum. Maybe you will have 5 hrs in the park.

It's a real tight, rushed & expensive day.

It's 60 miles to UNIVERSAL from the port. Personally it is a waste of a day.

If the park is slow or you have VIP passes, folks may not feel that way. We went to Universal just after Hurricane Sandy was there and had a wonderful time. We headed back toward Hogwarts to start with and then circled around counterclockwise.

We had more than enough time to make it all the way back to Hogwarts a second time, before it was time to go.

If the park is slow or you have VIP passes, folks may not feel that way. We went to Universal just after Hurricane Sandy was there and had a wonderful time. We headed back toward Hogwarts to start with and then circled around counterclockwise.

We had more than enough time to make it all the way back to Hogwarts a second time, before it was time to go.

the VIP Experience is 299/person.. thats crazy town..

the express pass might be something worthwhile though

We really struggled w/this too,,,, we looked at all options and decided on an airboat tour, w gators. SOOOO not original plan, but Im actually psyched for this! my dd agreed when we factored in travel plus waiting online and travel back!

We really struggled w/this too,,,, we looked at all options and decided on an airboat tour, w gators. SOOOO not original plan, but Im actually psyched for this! my dd agreed when we factored in travel plus waiting online and travel back!

i just know the older kids (8 & 10) really really want to go to universal..

transportation via the cruise line for all of us will be a about $500+ ($79 for adults, $49 for kids) somehow that just seems crazy and getting a private van would make more sense.

Yup, it's crazy. But getting a private van doesn't make it less so. :)

well assuming universal is happening... maybe i look at the VIP passes so its not a total waste

We are locals. I would not do this excursion; however, if you are set on it, check the price for a room (Not Cabana Cay. You do not get express passes with those rooms. The hard rock is usually the cheapest). It is normally cheaper to purchase a room than purchasing the express passes, and can be used more than once. Harry Potter is exempt, so if you're going for that, expect to wait 2 - 3 hours.

Florida schools are out already. I really would not waste my money on this UNLESS this is the only time you think you will get to Universal Studios, and are satisfied with only a handful of rides, and that's if you are lucky.

The airboats are A LOT of fun, and you will be much more relaxed than spending a day in the parks with the crowds! This is not the time of year to try to hit the amusement parks - if you have limited time.

Yeah I looked into this (I think we are going to be on the same sailing) and absolutely decided against disney or universal. I didn't even tell the kids we would be anywhere near them, thank goodness. I have been to disney many times (my kids have never been... I went a lot before I had kids... ok weird... we plan to try to take them next year) and 5-6 hours is not enough time to do much of anything. Not to mention the stress of getting back to the ship... nope.

We decided to just not even leave the ship and will spend a quiet day around the pool etc... my kids will honestly love that and it's low stress for us.

There are several rental car agencies at the port. If you really want to go, just rent a car. Most of them will even shuttle you back to the ship when you get back. But you're better off touring KSC.

There are several rental car agencies at the port. If you really want to go, just rent a car. Most of them will even shuttle you back to the ship when you get back. But you're better off touring KSC.

what about downtown disney?

its two 4 year olds, an 8 and 10 year old..

I am not sure the 4 yr olds will enjoy KSC

Actually you have picked something really incredible and an experience I think you will remember for a lifetime! No, it's not an amusement park, but it is very, very special!

With the 4 year olds, I think Universal Studios is a terrible idea as there will be much they cannot ride if they are not tall enough

https://www.universalorlando.com/Resort-Information/Ride-Height-Requirements.aspx

Also, the long bus ride to the park and back to the ship is going to be a killer.

In your position, I'd take the kids to something simpler like Golf-N-Gator

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34117-d3915612-Reviews-Golf_N_Gator-Cape_Canaveral_Brevard_County_Florida.html

It is inexpensive, your kids will get to feed gators AND play mini golf. Very cute and in Port Canaveral and most importantly minus the stress and long bus ride to go to a major theme park where I'm afraid your 4 year olds will be disappointed about not being able to ride many of the rides due to the height restrictions.

Here are some more ideas in Port Canaveral:

http://www.cruisemaven.com/five-family-fun-things-to-do-near-port-canaveral/

BTW, the Brevard Zoo is very cool and has a train, kayaking, paddle boats, Giraffe feedings, Lorikeet feedings and cockatiel feedings, rhino encounters, zip lining and a play lagoon - plenty of stuff to do for the whole family so that no one is left out.

Want to see a lot of manatees? Check this out:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34145-c111541/Cocoa-Beach:Florida:Manatee.Santuary.Park.Free.Fun.html

Banana River Park is another great place to see Manatees.

and then there is this:

http://www.dolphinparardisetours.com

I would suggest only a boat tour as your 4 year olds should not be attempting to swim in the ocean, still they could see dolphins and manatees and that would be incredibly exciting for them along with riding on the boat.

hi there,

you have gotten some good information on the NCL board but I'm going to move this thread to the Florida ports of call lboard and you will probably get even more information, especially about car service... have you thought of renting an suv or van??

I've done the edit for you so the title says Port of Canaveral ...

Edited by Host Star

The only real thing to do at Downtown Disney is shop and eat, with the exception of Disney Quest. It's a mess there right now with the conversion to Disney Springs, construction, parking lots closed, that kind of thing. I'm a local as well and I would not do this.