MY Comparison Between the Majesty and the Dream

I have been 4 times on the Dream and was a bit apprehensive about going on the Majesty. I hate change!!

Last wee we were on the Hellenic Cruise and overall had a super time . I am not going to give a proper review but rather just give my comparisons between each ship.

We had a cabin on 8th floor and was pleased it was wider and much brighter than the Dream. More drawer space.

The Majesty had many more bars and spaces to sit I think. I actually preferred the Jubilee Lounge there to the Broadway Theatre on the Dream Okay there were a few pillars but it was brighter and more comfortable seating. The stage was a thrust stage and I like this. Before the 8.30 Show , the group Musik Umlimited performed on stage so there was no sitting around waiting for the start plus at the end you didn't get the mass of people exiting to dash through to the Medusa to get a seat.

The Entertainment Team were fabulous and they put on some good shows. i was pleased to see the return of "Africa" and a new one is a show with songs from the states in the USA. Pleasant change. The team was one of the best although it could be very loud specially on the Queen night when Muzik Unlimited was backing them. This group were excellent too.

Safety Drill was a bit of a farce. Our cabin steward made up put on our jacket right away but my husband almost tripped down the stairs cause he couldn't see over the top of his life jacket. She also advised people to go up to muster before the alarm. This is not how it was done on the Dream. You take your jacket with you. The whole idea of a safety drill is to time how long it takes passengers to assemble.

Over the years we have got to know the Dream staff but we soon found new "friends " on board

However it was the food which let it down. Maybe its to do with the head chef but breakfasts were made with the cheapest sausages, bacon and the coffee from the machines was awful. The cream on the scones or with all desserts was that synthetic pure white scooshy cream that I remember eating with cream cookies long ago. Even the butter was bog standard Lakeland salted yet on the Dream it was creamy unsalted German butter mm. I also felt that the breads were not as varied. Just rolls yet again on the Dream their bakery turned out a whole selection.

Overall I actually preferred the Majesty laypout with all the venues for sitting but it was the food. We ate in the Seven Seas and the 2 starters always included a melon one. Last year on the Dream you were brought separate dishes of vegetables on the side.

But we did enjoy our holiday immensely.

Langton Couple glad you had a good hols on the Hellenic Classics, we did too. Although I have never been on the Dream so cannot compare, I must say I would choose not to use the Majesty again. We didn't mind the food, we also appreciated the good service, entertainment and excellent housekeeping. What we didn't like was the outside deck to sit. If you wanted a sunbed 'no problem' they were everywhere, but we like to sit when chilling and to be confined in a glass surrounded deck with limited seats most of which were in the shade and a stage that only a priviledged few could enjoy because it was faced away from 80% of all who were seated, was in my opinion poor planning. I prefer the Celebration for its outside rear decks and a stage that can be seen by all. On the subject of Hellenic Classics ............. why they took us to Kalamata is a mystery, the Projects in the Bronx looked more inviting. Never have I seen such a grotty place. Apparently the place had little to offer the tourist and was heaving with beggars, needless to say I stayed on board. Of all the places of Greece, im mystified why here !!!

I agree a bit about Kalamata but its the port to visit other places. However we managed to find (with difficulty) a fantastic Military Museum. My husband loves this sort of thing. Its run by the army and we had our own guide a currently serving soldier who was passionate about this. There was only one other couple and they also had their guide. Its was free but we did give a donation. On the way back to the ship we came across a park full of old rusting steam trains. Quite sad to see these when you think of how they are preserved in the York Railway Museum. We had a great 2 course lunch with beer for only 6 euros each. These towns depend on tourists.

Langton Couple glad you had a good hols on the Hellenic Classics, we did too. Although I have never been on the Dream so cannot compare, I must say I would choose not to use the Majesty again. We didn't mind the food, we also appreciated the good service, entertainment and excellent housekeeping. What we didn't like was the outside deck to sit. If you wanted a sunbed 'no problem' they were everywhere, but we like to sit when chilling and to be confined in a glass surrounded deck with limited seats most of which were in the shade and a stage that only a priviledged few could enjoy because it was faced away from 80% of all who were seated, was in my opinion poor planning. I prefer the Celebration for its outside rear decks and a stage that can be seen by all. On the subject of Hellenic Classics ............. why they took us to Kalamata is a mystery, the Projects in the Bronx looked more inviting. Never have I seen such a grotty place. Apparently the place had little to offer the tourist and was heaving with beggars, needless to say I stayed on board. Of all the places of Greece, im mystified why here !!!

I managed to find seats outside in the sun or shade. Try the decks right aft.

ps - don't tell anybody ;)

I prefer the Majesty to the Dream as well - love the Majesty layout

Me too :)

Hope the food is OK next week. We certainly thought it was better than the Dream on our two previous cruises on the Majesty.

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

I just got back from the Majesty last week too. I preferred the Dream last year to be honest but its all down to personal preference. I didn't like the fact half of deck 10 is for smoking and its too much glass.

Deck 11 where everyone is laid out in the sun felt far to cramped, but there were other places to go and get out the way.

I didn't do any of the shows etc so cant compare with either of them.

I also preferred the food on the dream in the restaurant.

Agree with the comment above about Kallamata. What a dump. We nipped over to Jumbos or whatever it was called looked at all the trains in the park then messed about on the beach with the kids for a little while.

My parents done the similar cruise last year and stopped at Katakolon which looked lovely. Could of even visited Olympia. I would have much preferred this stop.