Da Library

sandbag7

Anyone familiar with the library on the Oceania ships? My wife and I are both serial readers, looking for relatively literary works (like Updike rather than Grisham), and generally bring alot of books on a vacation; trouble is, we don't usually like the same books which means we pack a lot of books. So what's in the library?

The library is wonderful! A collection appealing to widespread tastes. Whoever is in charge of this area has been doing a remarkable job.

The negative aspect of the room is the "honor system" which leads to passengers pouring in the day of embarkation, taking armloads of books and returning them the day of disembarkation. A sign out system might be of help here.

With that said I have never walkied out of the library without a book in my hands that I couldn't wait to open. No more filling luggage corners with paperbacks.

Just back from the Baltic, on Regatta, and I was just a tad disappointed with the library selection. Heavy emphasis on romance novels, very light on reference type books, on shipping in particular. It apppeared that Oceania is using many books inherited from Renaissance, and I saw few books from post 2002.

Havng been on her former sis, Pacifc Princess (new), I thought Princess had a better selection (only because there were more books that I was interested in).

Just back from the Baltic, on Regatta, and I was just a tad disappointed with the library selection. Heavy emphasis on romance novels, very light on reference type books, on shipping in particular. It apppeared that Oceania is using many books inherited from Renaissance, and I saw few books from post 2002.

Havng been on her former sis, Pacifc Princess (new), I thought Princess had a better selection (only because there were more books that I was interested in).

Although everybody will tell you that both the Regatta and Insignia are identical, that's one of the differences I noticed between the two sisters! The Regatta's ex libris is ex-Ren, while the Insignia's selection tended to be more recent with new Oceania bookplates, including a good selection of NY Times bestsellers, shipping catalogues, and William Miller books (ocean liner fans will recognize his name). There is also a case of travel books on the right (facing the doors), but all the ones relevant for your part of the world are likely to be missing for the length of your cruise.

The libraries aboard Princess tended to be larger due to the larger number of passengers, but for mid-size ships like Oceania's, the library selection IS quite admirable. Now let's see how often they restock and refresh it!

Although everybody will tell you that both the Regatta and Insignia are identical, that's one of the differences I noticed between the two sisters!

OK Richard. What were the others? I've sailed on both and darned if they didn't look/feel the same to me. What did I miss?

Beatrice

My comments wer from Insignia. I hope we aren't going to be disappointed with the ibrary on our March Regatta cruise. I had assumed they would be similar. It was a definite "plus" on the Insignia and we appreciated the freedom and trust.

OK Richard. What were the others? I've sailed on both and darned if they didn't look/feel the same to me. What did I miss?

Beatrice

Besides the library collections, the temperature control knobs in the staterooms were different. Some would call them "thermostats," but they didn't seem to let you control the temperature - the fan seemed to be blowing 24/7. On the Regatta, there were marks on the dial of no seeming significance, while on the Insignia, there were no markings at all. We ended up finding a temperature that suited us and made a mark on the dial with a pencil.

The Insignia had better deck chairs than the Regatta, but they should all have been upgraded by now, and the same goes for the dining chairs on the Tapas outdoor deck (they should have added fabric covers to the Regatta's chairs to match the Insignia's). The telephones were different, but if the ships have been upgraded with phone systems that permit phone messages, they might have all been replaced as well. Same goes for the old television sets and cable boxes. I also hope the air dryers have also been replaced - the hose on ours was brittle and broke on our last cruise!

LNielsen

Yes - way off topic.

Love Lincoln - moved to Sun City here last November from the SF Bay Area.

Drwong

Reference Pacific Princess and her library. Ship is sis of Regatta, but again with better selection of books. By-the-by, Princess reduced the passenger load of their two ex-Renaissance ships to 660 from 684, as they needed more cabins for crew and entertainers for their type of operation - which includes a 24hr Lido restaurant operation - something I missed on Regatta.

Otherwise, comparing the two ships is an apple to orange type thing.

Anyone familiar with the library on the Oceania ships? My wife and I are both serial readers, looking for relatively literary works (like Updike rather than Grisham), and generally bring alot of books on a vacation; trouble is, we don't usually like the same books which means we pack a lot of books. So what's in the library?

We were on a 17 day Insignia cruise last December with 12 sea days. We used the wonderful library just about every day. Not only did they have a great selection of reading matter, but there are two computers with internet access there.

I'll be on Regatta next June, so unless I hear that things have improved it'll be bring a bag o' books time.

I do miss Renaissance; it offered great value, the no smoking policy, and the Tahiti and Mediterannean Cruises were wonderful. I'm sure I'll be happy with Regatta.

By-the-by, Princess reduced the passenger load of their two ex-Renaissance ships to 660 from 684, as they needed more cabins for crew and entertainers for their type of operation - which includes a 24hr Lido restaurant operation - something I missed on Regatta.

Otherwise, comparing the two ships is an apple to orange type thing.

My error - I missed that - I was referring to the other Princess megaships! And you're right - most of the Pacific Princess' obstructed view cabins are used to house staff and crew. Oceania did that during its first year, until realizing that those cabins could be sold and moving their staff to lower decks and/or interior cabins.

Archived