Stingray City - How young is too young??

WashEngr

We will be taking my two grandson with us on our next cruise, which stops at Grand Cayman and we are thinking about doing the Stingray City excursion. The oldest one (7) should do fine and swims like a fish but the youngest one (5) is not quite as comfortable in the water. How deep is the water at Stingray City (would an "average" 5 year old be able to stand with his head above water?)?

If we decide to wait to book a Stingray City excursion at the port (to see how he does in the water at earlier stops), is that possible or do we need to make arrangements before we depart?

It can vary! I've been there when it was knee deep and I've been there when it's been 4-5 feet deep and wavy. Good thing is that they can wear lifejackets, or just stay on the boat if they are uncomfortable. While it's awesome to swim with them, its also fun to watch. Something to remembers is that some of the boats have to anchor out in deeper water and you have to swim to the sandbar a little ways. It's just going to depend on the weather, what tour you do and what size boat you are on.

The water was chest high for adults when we were there last December, with waves taking it to shoulder height. My two little ones (2 and 4) wore life jackets and we held them in the water.

Edited by brewcrew4

We took our kids with an off board excursion it was great. We took our life jackets (2&4) my kids were a little scared but my 4 year old still talks about it months later. Both mine loved to snorkel this was there first time but they did well. You are right by boat if they choose to not get off.

We have been twice now with our little one. I think she was 3 the first time around and 5 the next time and she loved it. The water depth can vary. Adults can stand in it but most little ones probably won't be able to that young. However, they have life jackets and of course you can hold them as well. It's definitely a great adventure and one not to miss. :)

First time:

IMG_7704-M.jpg

Click for video

MVI_1278-M.jpg

2nd time:

IMG_0426-M.jpg

We can usually tell how a little one (or bigger one) is going to react at Stingray City. If they are the type of kid (or adult) that immediately tries to cuddle that strange cat or dog, and who loves it when the cat/dog climbs all over them, then Stingray City will be a highlight of their life. If they're the type that plays shy, doesn't like animals touching them, etc then they'll likely be happier watching the action from a little further away, and we recommend staying away from the guide with the squid chunks.

I basically had my daughter on my back most of the time, occasionally holding her in my arms so that she can touch and kiss the stingrays. Our tour operators from Stingray City United did a great job in making her feel comfortable around the stingrays. I am sure your 5 year old will also have a great time out there.

We did this last year and I had to hold my 8 year old quite a bit due to the waves and the depth of the water and he is a big kid. That said, he loved it. The only thing that freaked him out was feeding the rays. They really swarmed him and scared him. I don't think I would have kids that young feed the rays but otherwise they should have fun.