Percent of men wearing tuxedos?

CarolynK

I agree. Cummerbund is a must, unless one wants to wear a waistcoat. It is one or the other, really, as tux pants do not have a belt. Aircon is not all that strong onboard, and I fear to be too hot with a waistcoat, nor of course is removing teh jacket an option, until very late in teh nightclub, maybe.:)

White tux jackets are permissible on a cruise ship, in line with the officers being in whites. With a white tux jacket, I feel that a black tie and cummerbund works best. With a black tux, some color is permissible (maroon tie and cummerbund in particular). One additional touch of color is great with a pocket square. Cufflinks should remain reasonably traditional. Mickey Mouse and London buses are overkill, even on a cruise.

I do think where/when/how-long-a-voyage-is has a great impact on the nuances of dress.

During a crossing, one may not tire of black bow ties. Three formal nights aren't really all that many.

On a longer voyage, there can be significantly more formal nights in number.

There were approximately 15 formal nights on the 36-day segment we took in 2013. I can't imagine how many on a full-World-Cruise!

When on shipboard for a longer time, I think some gentlemen (or their DWs) are more inclined to want an occasional, still tasteful, dash of color.

Personally, I like this.

I also like the traditional look of tux with a black bow tie.

AND, I love do waistcoats! (Pepper, thank you for your insight---always appreciated!)

I never knew that not wearing a cummerbund was even an option (except with waistcoat). I'm always so impressed when the tux comes out....but when I see the waistcoat....I'm even more impressed. Oddly, it's always in the elevator where I actually first notice the end result. Something about scrambling around in those little cabins doesn't lend to elegant glamor. :D

I never knew that not wearing a cummerbund was even an option (except with waistcoat). I'm always so impressed when the tux comes out....but when I see the waistcoat....I'm even more impressed. Oddly, it's always in the elevator where I actually first notice the end result. Something about scrambling around in those little cabins doesn't lend to elegant glamor. :D

Hi Brigitte,

To clarify: I am neutral on the "wearing of" ---just from my observations, I haven't seen many on Cunard ships. Not that I have done an actual tally. Just my impression.

I neither object to nor advocate for cummerbunds from an appearance standpoint… I am neutral, neutral, neutral!

DH, on the other hand, is admittedly "anti." He found a cummerbund uncomfortable, shifting about when he sat --he has a slim built. He, also, points out that his jacket stays buttoned while standing and the cummerbund region is hidden by the table at dinner. After our first Cunard voyage, he figuratively casted his into the sea.

A waistcoat would look nice, but, probably more warmth than DH could tolerate.

Now, I hope no one insists on patent leather shoes, because I don't believe I have seen many of those, either.... (Pepper, can you help out once more, if I promise to stay out of clothing discussions for a while? Have you seen any patent leather men's dress shoes aboard Cunard of late?)

Now, I hope no one insists on patent leather shoes, because I don't believe I have seen many of those, either.... (Pepper, can you help out once more, if I promise to stay out of clothing discussions for a while? Have you seen any patent leather men's dress shoes aboard Cunard of late?)

I would not be one to insist on patent leather shoes, but I wear my patent leather dance shoes on formal nights. Usually, I wouldn't think about wearing my dance shoes to a dinner or a show at home, but the carpets on the Cunard ships are kept very clean and the suede soles have always remained clean. I've observed quite a few men wearing patent leather on formal nights recently. And yes, I am one of those who wouldn't think about wearing a tuxedo without a cummerbund.

Bob

I would not be one to insist on patent leather shoes, but I wear my patent leather dance shoes on formal nights. Usually, I wouldn't think about wearing my dance shoes to a dinner or a show at home, but the carpets on the Cunard ships are kept very clean and the suede soles have always remained clean. I've observed quite a few men wearing patent leather on formal nights recently. And yes, I am one of those who wouldn't think about wearing a tuxedo without a cummerbund.

Bob

Hi Bob, I appreciate your comments. DH and I don't frequent the dance-venue, so may not be as "up-to-date" as we could be (and you obviously are). Also, I will have to pay more attention to cummerbund wearers next time aboard!

Thank you. Jimmybean

DH, on the other hand, is admittedly "anti." He found a cummerbund uncomfortable, shifting about when he sat --he has a slim built.

I can totally understand. I've seen many that have shifted, so they do need attention for some. Oddly, some men stay impeccable all evening no matter what.......and some tend to look more "comfy" as the evening goes on. It's all good. :). And no, jimmy bean, I'm not implying that your husband is one of those....I've never seen him that I know of. :)

My last cruise there were perhaps 5% of men in tuxedos, another 10% in dark jackets with bow ties and then nearly everyone else in dark suits (some with or without ties). Didn't affect my cruise or dining experience in the slightest although it did give some talking points after the cruise.:D

My last cruise there were perhaps 5% of men in tuxedos, another 10% in dark jackets with bow ties and then nearly everyone else in dark suits (some with or without ties). Didn't affect my cruise or dining experience in the slightest although it did give some talking points after the cruise.:D

How bizarre - was it a mini cruise or did you get on a P&O ferry by mistake?

Hi jimmybean,

Well, I wear mine on formal nights, so there is at least one pair on board!

(I can well remember the first time I wore my then-new patent shoes; QM2 2006. I hadn't "roughed up" the soles, so the shoes were almost as smooth and shiny underneath as they were on top! I was fine walking about until I tried to go down the stairs in the Grand Lobby... :eek: I discovered flailing arms and legs I didn't know I had, did a quick impersonation of a windmill in a gale... I went from Bond-supercool to undignified mess in seconds!)

But I must say that I've seen very few guys wearing patent shoes when I've actually checked (not that I've made a serious study, the second martini wipes my memory-banks clean ;)).

Best wishes and happy sailings.

Edited by pepperrn

Hi jimmybean,

Well, I wear mine on formal nights, so there is at least one pair on board!

(I can well remember the first time I wore my then-new patent shoes; QM2 2006. I hadn't "roughed up" the soles, so the shoes were almost as smooth and shiny underneath as they were on top! I was fine walking about until I tried to go down the stairs in the Grand Lobby... :eek: I discovered flailing arms and legs I didn't know I had, did a quick impersonation of a windmill in a gale... I went from Bond-supercool to undignified mess in seconds!)

But I must say that I've seen very few guys wearing patent shoes when I've actually checked (not that I've made a serious study, the second martini wipes my memory-banks clean ;)).

Best wishes and happy sailings.

I used to have a pair for dancing but for the slippery conditions made them too hazardous and I can only take so many pairs of shoes on a holiday.

Hi Bob, I appreciate your comments. DH and I don't frequent the dance-venue, so may not be as "up-to-date" as we could be (and you obviously are). Also, I will have to pay more attention to cummerbund wearers next time aboard!

Thank you. Jimmybean

Hi Jimmybean,

Do yourself a favor on your next Cunard voyage and spend some time in the Queens Room on a formal night. You don't have to be a ballroom dancer to sit at one of the many tables surrounding the beautify wood dance floor and enjoy your favorite drinks. This is a great place to see the ladies in their long gowns while listening to a good 7 piece danceband and a singer performing.

I've heard it said that the purpose of men wear tuxedos is to not draw attention to themselves, but rather to not take attention away from their lady.

Bob

Hi Jimmybean,

I've heard it said that the purpose of men wear tuxedos is to not draw attention to themselves, but rather to not take attention away from their lady.

Bob

Precisely: the men in a room full of men in tuxedos are fairly indistinguishable - and accordingly do not compete with their more decoratively attired partners.

Precisely: the men in a room full of men in tuxedos are fairly indistinguishable - and accordingly do not compete with their more decoratively attired partners.

There is a nice thought, I would have thought it great if only the women stood out.:D

Thank you, gentlemen, one and all, and Brigitte, too, for your comments.

I appreciate your suggestion that DH and I sit in the Queens Room to observe the dancing, BobBranst. DH and I will follow your advice next crossing : ) which will be easterly, so I will be awake.

Pepper, your description of the perils of new patent leather shoes is priceless… Evidently, the athleticism of your sea-legs should be (and is now) legionary.

I think the second-martini count of cummerbunds and patent leather shoes is as accurate as I need to go.

Generally speaking, the gentlemen passengers of Cunard do themselves proud. Lovely to sail with you all.

Jimmybean