Italian Job

Has anyone done the Rome express trip? It has been recommended by several people on fb. I know it is pricey, but I would rather have the security of an organized trip as DH has no sense of direction (even though he was a taxi driver ;) ) and I don't want to get let behind in Rome as the ship sails away!

Also, has anyone done the trip to Herculaneum and is it an early start (after a whole day trip to Rome :O)

Went to Herculaneum a few weeks ago and we left the ship at 9.15am. It was a Sunday on a public holiday weekend so was very busy although quite well organised. We only did the half day trip and were back on board by 1.30pm.

I was unsure about doing this after a very long and hot day in Rome the day before but really enjoyed the trip.

Sounds like a good plan. We went to Rome on the coach and visited the Colluseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. It was a very long, busy day and Rome was absolutely packed and very hot - everyone went straight into the bar for a cold pint when we got back!

Sounds like a good plan. We went to Rome on the coach and visited the Colluseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. It was a very long, busy day and Rome was absolutely packed and very hot - everyone went straight into the bar for a cold pint when we got back!
Sounds a good plan :rolleyes::D

I did the Rome Express in September and it was good. You have a brief tour on a coach once you get to Rome and then walk from the Colosseum to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Forum etc. We had one guide from the ship to Rome, then another guide who spoke about the different places and really brought them to life.

My only criticism would be the 90 minute plus lunch (included in the price). By the time we left the restaurant and then queued to get inside the Vatican, we only had enough time inside to walk in one door and out the other before we had to run to catch the train! Admittedly we were in Rome on a Wednesday so there were more people at the Vatican for the Pope's address but I would happily have foregone the meal to head straight there given the choice.

I suppose it just means I'll have to go back to Rome one day :D

I did the Rome Express in September and it was good. You have a brief tour on a coach once you get to Rome and then walk from the Colosseum to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Forum etc. We had one guide from the ship to Rome, then another guide who spoke about the different places and really brought them to life.

My only criticism would be the 90 minute plus lunch (included in the price). By the time we left the restaurant and then queued to get inside the Vatican, we only had enough time inside to walk in one door and out the other before we had to run to catch the train! Admittedly we were in Rome on a Wednesday so there were more people at the Vatican for the Pope's address but I would happily have foregone the meal to head straight there given the choice.

I suppose it just means I'll have to go back to Rome one day :D

I was going to ask about the Vatican. The description of the trip doesn't give the impression that you actually go in to the Vatican. We shall be there on a Monday, so maybe wouldn't have the problem you had.

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting from sunny Civitavecchia :)

Comedian last night was Maxwell Plumm (again) Sadly same old jokes ;)

Beatles show tonight, followed by the crew show

Ship still good , but crew don't seem so happy. Lots of different nationalities.

Naples tomorrow, booked to go to Herculaneum.