A Tale of Two Cruises: Silversea and Seabourn, June 2015

Aapreciate

My husband and I have sailed multiple times with Seabourn (99 days). This is our first Silversea cruise and we too are most interested in comparing the 2 cruise lines. We've talked with several former passengers who cruised both lines. Consensus seems to be the differences are of little consequence. We have never been disappointed with Seabourn - staff, service or quality of food. All excellent. On our first day of sailing with SB, the staff knew my name (out of 400+ passengers). More importantly, on a subsequent SB cruise, we had a family medical emergency unfolding back home which proved to be end of life issue. We went to the business office onboard to explain, asking if we could have access to private office to make some intermittent phone calls, not only was office provided, but without any prompting or request from us, we were not charged for any of these ship to shore calls. From that day forward, we have been promoters and cheerleaders for the line. So yes, we are most eager and interested in seeing what this cruise is like and signed up only because of the itinerary as SB does not cruise these ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you arrived home safely after your cruises. I'm anxious to read more about your 2nd cruise on Seabourn, and your comparisons of the two cruises. You have a unique perspective having done them back to back! I'd love to read your impressions.

• 5 months later...

I want to apologize to everyone for not being able to complete this analysis. I ended up developing, perhaps from hauling luggage, a critical problem with my cervical spine which made my hands stop working. I have now had successful two level spinal disc replacement and will be cruising on Crystal in July. Truly, I loved both lines. I would give the design edge to Silversea and food to Seabourn. Looking forward to experiencing Crystal again. Very sorry to have fallen off the face of the earth for a while here but have finally recovered.

I want to apologize to everyone for not being able to complete this analysis. I ended up developing, perhaps from hauling luggage, a critical problem with my cervical spine which made my hands stop working. I have now had successful two level spinal disc replacement and will be cruising on Crystal in July. Truly, I loved both lines. I would give the design edge to Silversea and food to Seabourn. Looking forward to experiencing Crystal again. Very sorry to have fallen off the face of the earth for a while here but have finally recovered.

Wow, glad you are recovered!

First, I hope that your back issues have been 100% cured. Where did you have "two level spinal disc replacement"? Although not cruise related, this is not available in the U.S. but many people would consider having it done overseas.

Seabourn winning for food is interesting. Did you have any issue with smokers on the balcony on Seabourn?

So happy that you did not "fall off the earth".:)

Thank you so much. :). I had the surgery in Beverly Hills from one of the surgeons who helped get FDA approval for the only two-level device available in the US: The Mobi C. Dr Hyun Bae. He was awesome but our insurance company did refuse to pay. :(

I did not ever once have an issue with smokers on the balcony. Occasionally on the corner of the pool deck I noticed smokers but they did not really bother me.

One other interesting thing is how much closer into town the Silversea ships docked versus Seabourn. Much better berths.

Can't wait for Crystal in July! Then we are going to choose a line for New Zealand next year.