MDR Attire

Sailingagain0123

Just read the guidelines for attire. No sandals in the MDR? I can understand no flip flops but for island cruising,is it really true no sandals?

Dress sandals are fine, the restriction refers to flip flops.

The most official guide, in my opinion, is the set of leather-bound bo0ks in every cabin, covering almost every aspect of shipboard life. In the section on dress code, it states, "No rubber or plastic sandals". My personal interpretation of that is that leather sandals are fine, and certainly no one has been turned away for wearing dressy sandals.

This next "rule" is consensus, not official, but one I highly recommend. It is that no one really wants to see men's hairy toes, thus open-toed sandals for men are not "dressy" enough -- at least for me. I wear sandals nearly all the time, even in chilly weather (there's a funny story about that, which I'll relate below so those who don't care can skip it). One of the reasons is that we travel light, and sandals are much easier to pack. So, for dinner on Oceania, I bought a nice pair of dressy, closed toe "fisherman" sandals. At a glance, they almost look like shoes, but are much more comfortable. I have never been turned away from any activity on board, from the main dining room to dinner with the captain, while wearing these sandals.

The story behind the sandals is that my wife, Betsy, tried for years to get me to wear sandals, but I refused, sticking steadfastly to my boat shoes (everywhere but my daughter's wedding :rolleyes:). Finally, she talked me into getting a good pair of Clarks sandals in July, 2012 -- and I have worn one or another of my now several pairs literally at least most of every day since. I hate to admit it, but wives can occasionally be right...of course, living in Florida, I don't have to worry about snow.

Formal dress for me is wearing black socks -- with the closed toe sandals, never with the open toe versions.

I always wear thong sandals or closed shoes (depending on where we are) and never have a prioblem..we are going to Alaska in June and will not take any sandals..but will take Toms for daytime

Jancruz1

I always wear thong sandals or closed shoes (depending on where we are) and never have a prioblem..we are going to Alaska in June and will not take any sandals..but will take Toms for daytime

Jancruz1

Just don't try it at the Cannes Film Festival

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32793630/cannes-film-festival-red-carpet-bans-for-women-not-in-high-heels

Isn't that amazing?