Anyone else sailed with an "imperfect" birth certificate?

I'm hoping I don't have a problem, but..has anyone sailed with an "imperfect" birth certificate before? Just looked at one of my adult kid's BC and uh oh, it has a piece missing from it!

It got a coffee stain on it which then got torn completely off, never to be found again. The part missing is about 2" across the top right side and about 1" down (looks like a big bite was taken from it). The words "Birth Registration Certificate" typed across the top middle of the paper now only says "Birth Registration Cert" with the next "ifi" half torn off and the "cate" completely gone. The rest of the information on the paper is completely legible and shows all the other pertinent information.

Bad news (or good news depending on the responses I get from here!) is that we sail soon. I went online to see how fast I could get a BC and the site that says they are the fastest say it will take 7-8 business days to get, and that's paying extra for it. That won't work as we leave home in only 6 business days.

Yes, yes, I know I should have attended to this earlier! But that ship has already sailed. The question is, will it sail without us?!!

Can you physically go to office issuing the certificates? Seems you should be able to get a reprint by waiting. By you I mean the "child". I assume they don't have a passport already.

Can you physically go to office issuing the certificates? Seems you should be able to get a reprint by waiting. By you I mean the "child". I assume they don't have a passport already.

She does not have a passport, no. We are leaving on the weekend and she was born 8 hours away from where we live now.

Using a passport expeditor service you can get a passport for her in 24 hours as long as it is during a business week. I would do that NOW! Traveling without a passport is a terrible idea anyway. Google passport expeditor to find the various companies that do this.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Does it have a raised seal? My experience is that this is what's important. If the raised seal is intact and the passenger's name is clearly visible (and matches a legal photo id - drivers license), then I think you might be ok.

Edited by mousecrazy

Does it have a raised seal? My experience is that this is what's important. If the raised seal is intact and the passenger's name is clearly visible, I think your daughter will be ok.

Yes, it does have a raised seal. And yes, her name (and all other information except for half of the word "certificate" is clearly visible).

I think you'll be fine.

When you get back, if you plan on doing any further travel outside the US with this adult kid, tell adult kid to get themselves a passport; that is, after adult kid has finished their pb&j and juice box...

You should apply for a new one anyway sometimes things come faster than the time they actually quite you.

My sentiments exactly. Call too, talking to some may uncover options.

I think you'll be fine.

When you get back, if you plan on doing any further travel outside the US with this adult kid, tell adult kid to get themselves a passport; that is, after adult kid has finished their pb&j and juice box...

Since she's an adult and still my kid, it's more like a beer and a burger!;)