Time to stop putting pools on X new ships?

bryanjaync

Is it time to stop building swimming pools on new Celebrity cruise ships ? Are kids waterpark attractions (the buckets, the fountains, the water guns, etc.) better for safety than a pool ? And for adults, instead of a pool what about a meandering deck paths of misting machines, tunnels of rainforest showers, and other tech alternatives? Should traditional pools go ?

Ummmm...NO!

Excellent people watching indeed! On my last cruise on the Reflection I actually saw a middle-aged man wearing swim trunks that were made out of multi-colored crocheted granny squares. We couldn't believe our eyes! Really regret not having our camera because we were in the hot tub.

Are they seriously becoming the new speedos?! Just saw a post on my FB newsfeed that caused a few good one liners!

Look out peeps, possibly some of these may be seen on your next X cruise at the pool deck [emoji33][emoji51]

68c48222e77f589db3f6a2e729435986.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent people watching indeed! On my last cruise on the Reflection I actually saw a middle-aged man wearing swim trunks that were made out of multi-colored crocheted granny squares. We couldn't believe our eyes! Really regret not having our camera because we were in the hot tub.

Eye pollution at it's height...

We do a lot of 14 day cruises and most of the people in swimsuits by the pool seem to be bursting out of them, due to too many trips to the buffet. It is not great people watching.

I think they need more pools Maybe they should get rid of that lawn club or what ever they call that waste of space. and start putting in some aft pools :)

I agree, the lawn is more decorative than functional. It does not provide any value to the experience.

I would install a flowrider. That way youngsters will be aft ship, away from adults.

I agree, the lawn is more decorative than functional. It does not provide any value to the experience.

I would install a flowrider. That way youngsters will be aft ship, away from adults.

Many people enjoy the lawn area, so it is certainly does provide value to them. Much better than a flowrider, which would be totally out of character for a Celebrity ship. Most Celebrity cruisers don't need amusement park rides on their cruises.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Full marks to Celebrity for the adult only pool in the Solarium. It isn't too deep as is standing depth for most adults at its deepest point. As for bacteria; with pool hygiene so important I think it a rather an inappropriate comment to make. The adult pool facility is for people to exercise in but doesn't give anyone else the right to pass comment on the size or "sight" of others in bathing costumes. For those of us less than supermodel-like it takes some courage to don costumes and exercise publicly so fewer comments please.

So much passion for an amenity typically found at any $39 a night motel. Remarkable. :D

As well as $600 ones!

If you have the space who builds any hotel on land or floating at sea these days without a pool?

Full marks to Celebrity for the adult only pool in the Solarium. It isn't too deep as is standing depth for most adults at its deepest point. As for bacteria; with pool hygiene so important I think it a rather an inappropriate comment to make. The adult pool facility is for people to exercise in but doesn't give anyone else the right to pass comment on the size or "sight" of others in bathing costumes. For those of us less than supermodel-like it takes some courage to don costumes and exercise publicly so fewer comments please.

Give this a read...

http://www.medicaldaily.com/7-disgusting-facts-about-dirty-public-swimming-pools-246965

As well as $600 ones!

If you have the space who builds any hotel on land or floating at sea these days without a pool?

And just try to find a multi-million dollar house without at least one! They aren't just for patrons of cheap hotels.

As a lifelong (ex-competitive) swimmer, ASA advanced swimming teacher, Teacher of Physical Education and having worked as a Pool Attendant also, I reckon I am well placed to comment about public swimming pools I have worked/taught in. A well run pool will see the staff do regular pool tests and even more frequently when the pool is busy. Every pool I have worked at has numerous signs asking people to shower and use the WC before entering the water. Your article states quite clearly that the problems arise only when adequate care isn't taken on the chlorination of the water. I would have thought that it isn't a corner that a company like Celebrity would be quick to cut in the interests of passenger health.

Many people enjoy the lawn area, so it is certainly does provide value to them. Much better than a flowrider, which would be totally out of character for a Celebrity ship. Most Celebrity cruisers don't need amusement park rides on their cruises.

We just returned from an 11 day cruise on the Soltice and not once did I see any one using the Lawn area Granted I was not watching it 24 7 but walked by enough to notice nobody using it when I :)was there

If anything they need another pool! Aft pools are great.

LIKE!!

A second outdoor pool area (AFT preferred) would be a welcome addition. Hopefully on their new EDGE ships. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just returned from an 11 day cruise on the Soltice and not once did I see any one using the Lawn area Granted I was not watching it 24 7 but walked by enough to notice nobody using it when I :)was there

We had the opposite experience. We also did not watch it 24/7, but on our Med cruise in 2012 every time we had a drink at the aft bar there was always someone enjoying it. We went there virtually every day on our cruise, and I can't remember a single day someone wasn't enjoying a quiet, leisurely time on the lawn. Being on a ship doesn't have to be full throttle activity every moment. It's good that these ships have an area where people can relax and enjoy themselves.

Edited by SantaFeFan

]As a lifelong (ex-competitive) swimmer' date=' ASA advanced swimming teacher, Teacher of Physical Education and having worked as a Pool Attendant also[[/b']/B], I reckon I am well placed to comment about public swimming pools I have worked/taught in. A well run pool will see the staff do regular pool tests and even more frequently when the pool is busy. Every pool I have worked at has numerous signs asking people to shower and use the WC before entering the water. Your article states quite clearly that the problems arise only when adequate care isn't taken on the chlorination of the water. I would have thought that it isn't a corner that a company like Celebrity would be quick to cut in the interests of passenger health.

You Are The Everything ;)

Edited by wpgcycler

Yes. pools are wasted space as very few use them except to lay around. Don't need a pool to lay in the sun. It would provide more area for the sun worshiper so and ease the chair hog problem.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Laying in the sun tends to make you very hot and hence it is nice to hop into the pool to cool off and relax, after all isn't that why a lot of people go on a cruise?

The fact that the pool deck is so crowded on a nice warm sunny day is enough evidence to suggest that there are lots and lots of cruisers that enjoy laying in the sun and going for a swim

Any cruise line that decided to get rid of swimming pools would go out of business very quickly.

If people are serious about getting rid of pools because they're festering germ pits, perhaps the cruise lines could make more space by getting rid of the public restrooms as well, I've heard they're not great on the germ count either :D

I have yet to be on a cruise where the outdoor pools did not get packed during the day, with folk standing practically shoulder-to-shoulder, so clearly they are quite popular.

If the motivation for getting rid of them is "safety", well that is just silly. Everyone is responsible for their own safety and the safety of their own children.

As to pools being bacteria-infested, the same can be said for planet Earth. We are all covered in bacteria and germs all the time. All the hand sanitizer and obsessive cleaning of one's self and environment is not going to change that.